TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

My battery is nearly dead!

Old 04-20-2020, 07:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My battery is nearly dead!

Good morning

My 2006 UK Xfire didn't want to start this morning, but did eventually albeit very slowly. It also raised the rear spoiler.

My understanding is that the battery is on its way out. I have read various forums and am scared stiff at what horrors I might be letting myself in for.

The battery is the original Varta, so its done pretty well (14 years of great service).

Now crunch time, can I just fit a replacement battery, taking in mind the usual safety points, negative terminal removed first then positive, remove battery and replace in reverse order or is there more safety precautions to preserve engine management settings, SKREEM, radio codes?

Many thanks
Mark

Old 04-20-2020, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: My battery is nearly dead!

Anyone who has let a battery go fourteen years has already tempted the devil - you can't play more dangerously than you already have.

Just go get a replacement battery that meets the specifications and replace it, using the "usual safety points" you have outlined above.

My only caution would be this: I would not start that car again, until the battery has been replaced.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:47 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Anyone who has let a battery go fourteen years has already tempted the devil - you can't play more dangerously than you already have.
Perfectly said.

Would someone from Manchester say "You're a jammy bugger to have kept that battery so long."?

Old 04-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably time to ck tire pressure & oil too !

Old 04-20-2020, 01:07 PM

What!!!! I have to put oil and water in as well.................next you will tell me I have to put fuel in.

Hi Guys, I love my Xfire, its cleaned and waxed and loved. This is the first time I have seen a battery problem, so checked the forums straight away. This will be only the 2/3rd battery I have changed on any of my cars in the last 25 years. They just keep on going in the UK. Remember we mainly get rain not freezing conditions.

Keep well

Old 04-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You're lucky to have that kind of battery longevity !
Pls understand I was only joking & hope you & yours stay well also .
My 06 CF battery is less than 2 yrs old & losing it's charge so I'm checking every which way to determine why .
Probably have a drain ? Maybe I should send it over there in happy battery land to get well :-)

Old 04-20-2020, 01:43 PM

Hi Twanger, I know your only having a bit of fun with me. Having fun at the moment is talking to like minded Xfire owners. Hopefully we will all be back on the road when these lock-downs end.

I was due to be in USA next week so would have gladly brought your Xfire battery to the UK for some love and attention.

Keep well

Old 04-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by THETESTER
Hi Twanger, I know your only having a bit of fun with me. Having fun at the moment is talking to like minded Xfire owners. Hopefully we will all be back on the road when these lock-downs end.

I was due to be in USA next week so would have gladly brought your Xfire battery to the UK for some love and attention.

Keep well
Yes, we're just having fun with your long run of good luck! When you make it over here to the states, let us know where you'll be. One of us will buy you a pint!

Old 04-21-2020, 02:12 PM

Hi all

New battery is in the Xfire, everything appears to work OK (that's a jammy bugger from Manchester). Thanks for everybody's help and assistance.

Keep well and speak soon.

Cheers
Mark

2006 - Aero Blue Xfire 56000 miles and a 1hr old battery.