U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Supercharger problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger problem

Originally Posted by 11 FEB
aha! at last!!! so the clutch (as I call it) is part of the pulley assembly

Yes mine is OEM so who has one for sale and at what price? The price in the link posted by jmswllms is a bit silly could buy a new complete supercharger for that price (so I have been told)
My post #7 says the pulley and clutch are riveted together and you said the rivets had been tightened so I and other figured you knew. The first post by jmswllms is for the electric clutch, not what you want.

You replied to a post where someone offered you a pulley, but you said you had no trouble with the pulley.

You have to read the posts thoroughly or we all are wasting time.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
My post #7 says the pulley and clutch are riveted together and you said the rivets had been tightened so I and other figured you knew. The first post by jmswllms is for the electric clutch, not what you want.

You replied to a post where someone offered you a pulley, but you said you had no trouble with the pulley.

You have to read the posts thoroughly or we all are wasting time.
The two, pulley and clutch plate, are connected by a spring and held with rivets at both ends.

Not exactly saying that the pulley and clutch are ONE assembley though, and when I have googled PULLEY any diagram has only shown the part that the belt runs round, so that is why I was getting confused, sorry for the confusion

So!! if I order a stock pulley, I will get the clutch mech as well?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

11 Feb, maybe this will help the pic show a pulley
the silver looking washer is not a washer it is the spring ( flat spring looks like a dog bone)
there are since rivets. One holds One side of the dog bone Spring clutch and the other holds the other end of the dog bone, to the clutch
there's a picture of a Shim.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1346947132http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...eyshow2003.jpg

pic 1 you can see the spring from Rivet to rivet from clutch to pulley
pic 2you can see the shims and where they go
pic 3 the larger looking rivets are riveted to the spring to pulley smaller looking rivets rivet the spring to the clutch
pic 4 riveting clutch to the spring
pic5 you can see the rivet Holding down the spring The spring is that silver looking thing that almost looked like a washer
pic 6 I took a screwdriver and lifted up the pulley to the clutch and if you look real close you can see the hiow the spring is riveted and it is a flat spring

hop this clears up the pulley and clutch

Last edited by amx1397; 09-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:04 PM

The two, pulley and clutch plate, are connected by a spring and held with rivets at both ends.

Not exactly saying that the pulley and clutch are ONE assembley though, and when I have googled PULLEY any diagram has only shown the part that the belt runs round, so that is why I was getting confused, sorry for the confusion

So!! if I order a stock pulley, I will get the clutch mech as well?

What you see in the pic in post 18 is what you will get, the silver pulley and bearing and the black clutch plate. The two are connected by three flat springs which are riveted between the two parts. The bearing is removable and hopefully you will get a good bearing with the assembly, if not the bearings cost about $50 each.

You say the gap varies, it should be even more or less. The gap should be around what I stated earlier. When the springs pull the clutch plate back toward the pulley the gap between the pulley and the clutch plate should be even as the plate is pulled against stop buttons. Is this gap even? So there should be two gaps and both should be even, if the distance between the clutch plate and the magnet is too big you may get chatter as the magnet may not have the strength to pull the clutch plate so far consistently.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-06-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM

What you see in the pic in post 18 is what you will get, the silver pulley and bearing and the black clutch plate. The two are connected by three flat springs which are riveted between the two parts. The bearing is removable and hopefully you will get a good bearing with the assembly, if not the bearings cost about $50 each.

You say the gap varies, it should be even more or less. The gap should be around what I stated earlier. When the springs pull the clutch plate back toward the pulley the gap between the pulley and the clutch plate should be even as the plate is pulled against stop buttons. Is this gap even? So there should be two gaps and both should be even, if the distance between the clutch plate and the magnet is too big you may get chatter as the magnet may not have the strength to pull the clutch plate so far consistently.

together we told him ,HUH! pic and sound you got it right. jim

Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Forum Regular

Thank you kind sir's Think we got there in the end

Took the car into the workshop yesterday, They are going to have a go at re-riveting the plate, with stainless rivets as the problem is being caused by worn rivets.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Think I'm happy now I have a NA Crossfire having seen all this!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robskytoon

not a big problem really, just communication issues with the US lol

Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Robskytoon
But this is the first time that we have heard of this problem, with a stock pulley. The aftermarket please you do have to set the clearance using the shims. But glad you like your 04, I don't think there's any crossfire that the owner doesn't like it, it seems to be one of those cars, like the AMX, once you own one. There is no replace, right Mike?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 PM

not a big problem really, just communication issues with the US lol
I live in Canada.
How many miles on this car with loose rivets?

Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Forum Regular

I live in Canada.
How many miles on this car with loose rivets?

82,000 Miles

Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Forum Regular

I have now brilliant, many thanks, real help!!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Dal

Did you get it sorted Mo?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dal
Did you get it sorted Mo?
Got more info to work with, not sure of the next step. It makes no difference to how the car runs so not to worried about it.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Forum Regular

Ok, now sourced an after market pulley from Eurocharged Performance in Houston TX $630 + shipping.
64.7mm not the stock 73.6, claimed to add 50bhp will this just bolt on? or will other tunning mods be needed?

I would prefer to fit a stock pulley but can't find one.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM

check your A F R 's at wot you should not go above 12. pulling hard in 3 gear (auto) wot if your afr are 12 or below , your good, if they are above 12.5 do not go wot until you get a tune, and intake.

some people run 12.3 to 12.4,,,, but to be safe and not blow your engine stay in the 11's,, max 11.9

stock you will see from 9,9 to 10,7 the factory makes it rich. jim

Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
check your A F R 's at wot you should not go above 12. pulling hard in 3 gear (auto) wot if your afr are 12 or below , your good, if they are above 12.5 do not go wot until you get a tune, and intake.

some people run 12.3 to 12.4,,,, but to be safe and not blow your engine stay in the 11's,, max 11.9

stock you will see from 9,9 to 10,7 the factory makes it rich. jim

Thanks...........I think lol you may well have written that in Russian!!! not got a clue what you are on about

Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM

ok, when you make a change, like adding a pulley, of course you change how the factory intended the engine to perform.with the supercharger Pulley, you spend the supercharger faster condensing more air into the engine. Now you need to add fuel to balance everything out. AFR= air fuel ratio as I said before, the factory sets the air fuel ratio between 9.9 and 10.7 . That's where the black smoke comes from. Sometimes when you take off, and of course your exhaust tips are black with sutt.. By retuning the computer,to either add or take away timing and fuel and a few other things that I don't know about, they can set your AFR's in the correct range. The pulley that you ordered most likely will not increase the speed an off cause any problems. Originally I had bought a code three pulley,,62mm, installed it on my car without a tune or intake, the AFR is fine.they were reading like 11.1,, with a retune I brought My AFR's up to 11.9..

Let's say that your AFR stock are running 10.2, which is about right, you had the pulley with it being a 64 mm you probably only add 5 to 6 points with your pulley, so your AFR should be somewhere around 10 9 to 11.2
I would shoot an e-mail off to wherever you got the pulley, and tell them you do not have an AFR gauge, and you would like to know if having this pulley is going to take your AFR too high. You have to remember, the only time that this is critical is that wide open throttle ( wot) so if you want a family on and just jump on it ever so ever so often, do it and enjoy it jim

GOGGLE Air Fuel Ratio

Last edited by amx1397; 11-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
ok, when you make a change, like adding a pulley, of course you change how the factory intended the engine to perform.with the supercharger Pulley, you spend the supercharger faster condensing more air into the engine. Now you need to add fuel to balance everything out. AFR= air fuel ratio as I said before, the factory sets the air fuel ratio between 9.9 and 10.7 . That's where the black smoke comes from. Sometimes when you take off, and of course your exhaust tips are black with sutt.. By retuning the computer,to either add or take away timing and fuel and a few other things that I don't know about, they can set your AFR's in the correct range. The pulley that you ordered most likely will not increase the speed an off cause any problems. Originally I had bought a code three pulley,,62mm, installed it on my car without a tune or intake, the AFR is fine.they were reading like 11.1,, with a retune I brought My AFR's up to 11.9..

Let's say that your AFR stock are running 10.2, which is about right, you had the pulley with it being a 64 mm you probably only add 5 to 6 points with your pulley, so your AFR should be somewhere around 10 9 to 11.2
I would shoot an e-mail off to wherever you got the pulley, and tell them you do not have an AFR gauge, and you would like to know if having this pulley is going to take your AFR too high. You have to remember, the only time that this is critical is that wide open throttle ( wot) so if you want a family on and just jump on it ever so ever so often, do it and enjoy it jim

GOGGLE Air Fuel Ratio
Thank you, nicely explained

Quick Reply: Supercharger problem