U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Supercharger problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger problem

Just had the SRT6 serviced and have been told that it has slight supercharger clutch "chatter"

Anyone know of a quick fix? can the clutch only be renewed? or does it mean a new complete supercharger?

Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Supercharger problem

Bump,

I am still having problems with this, can anyone point me in the right direction to fine out if parts for the supercharger, such as the pulley/clutch assembly, are available.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Supercharger problem

Id steer you to see Rob at Needswings, pm him at his name , he'll assist you. Woody

Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 560 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 FEB
Just had the SRT6 serviced and have been told that it has slight supercharger clutch "chatter"

Anyone know of a quick fix? can the clutch only be renewed? or does it mean a new complete supercharger?
Is this the OEM pulley?
What is the gap on the pulley plate and magnet?
I guess it is uneven. Maybe loose rivets? Bearing?
More info required.
A used OEM pulley can be had from $200 - $300.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-30-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Is this the OEM pulley?
What is the gap on the pulley plate and magnet?
I guess it is uneven. Maybe loose rivets? Bearing?
More info required.
A used OEM pulley can be had from $200 - $300.
and right now you have two choices of aftermarket performance pulleys on the forum for sale is the code 3 (just search the bold) and Rudy has a 62mm pulley for sale .jim

Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular

Had the rivits tightened a few months ago 4000 miles ago, it cured the problem for a while but now chattering again. Don't think it's just the pulley, sure it's the clutch.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM

Had the rivits tightened a few months ago 4000 miles ago, it cured the problem for a while but now chattering again. Don't think it's just the pulley, sure it's the clutch.
The two, pulley and clutch plate, are connected by a spring and held with rivets at both ends.
Can you turn the clutch plate back and forth?

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM

The two, pulley and clutch plate, are connected by a spring and held with rivets at both ends.
maybe you don't have enough clearance or you have tooooo much clearance between the back plate of the pulley and the clutch jim

Old 08-31-2012, 03:03 AM
Forum Regular

The larger wheel/pulley closest to the supercharger will spin freely, then there is a gap of approx .5/1mm to what I assume is the clutch plate. this plate will not rotate at all no movement but will travel in and out if you know what I mean, this is what I think the chatter is.

The chattering only happens at low rev's as the car comes to a halt, once on tick over it stops chattering.

Idealy I want to replace the clutch if it is an available part, rather than repair it. without having to replace the whole supercharger.

Last edited by 11 FEB; 08-31-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Forum Regular

No one help me out with part numbers? alternative part?

Have tried google but drawn a blank

Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 AM

No one help me out with part numbers? alternative part?

Have tried google but drawn a blank
that is because we though you knew that the only way to get a new pulley is ordering a $7,000.00 supercharger,, but you can get a aftermarket performance pulley on the forun and you might find a person that is selling a stock one,,

from the dealer,,you need pulley you have to order a supercharger, it comes with the pulley
do a search for pulley and look for a pulley for sale. jim

Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amx1397
that is because we though you knew that the only way to get a new pulley is ordering a $7,000.00 supercharger,, but you can get a aftermarket performance pulley on the forun and you might find a person that is selling a stock one,,

from the dealer,,you need pulley you have to order a supercharger, it comes with the pulley
do a search for pulley and look for a pulley for sale. jim
Thanks Jim, no I didn't know but was assuming that it would be the case .So does a pulley come with the clutch assembly? again I am only assuming that the pulley is just a pulley!!!! and replacing just the pulley is not going to solve my problem

Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM

The larger wheel/pulley closest to the supercharger will spin freely, then there is a gap of approx .5/1mm to what I assume is the clutch plate. this plate will not rotate at all no movement but will travel in and out if you know what I mean, this is what I think the chatter is.

The chattering only happens at low rev's as the car comes to a halt, once on tick over it stops chattering.

Idealy I want to replace the clutch if it is an available part, rather than repair it. without having to replace the whole supercharger.
The gap should be about .012" - .015" (.3 -.4mm).
Is that the standard pulley, I assume it is. The gap should be even all around as it should sit on stops.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks Jim, no I didn't know but was assuming that it would be the case .So does a pulley come with the clutch assembly? again I am only assuming that the pulley is just a pulley!!!! and replacing just the pulley is not going to solve my problem
Just a pulley.
One of the things you might want to do is remove your pulley, inspect it, make sure the rivets are tight, then you can look at the magnetic clutch, to see if it has any damage it will have where marks on it.

To remove the pulley, take the bold title the end of the pulley using either a belt wrapped or you can break the bolt loose, sometimes with everything still hooked up, once the bolt is loose( loose not remove), then remove your belt.

If the pulley slides off, your good now inspect everything if the pulley does not slide off take two screwdrivers and tap,,,,, I said tap, not bang a screwdriver down a little as the pulley moves forward at one point it will get loose and come off. Don't lose the shims, count them, make sure you get the same amount going back or maybe less if the clearances to wide., If you take some real good pictures and post them, maybe myself or someone else can look at it and tell you if there's anything wrong. good luck, Jim

Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my stock pulley that I may be willing to part with. Let me know.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itsky
I have my stock pulley that I may be willing to part with. Let me know.

Thanks, but the pulley is not my problem, it's the clutch mechanism!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Were you told it's a bad supercharger coupler? New one COUPLING. Electric Clutch. for CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE (2005, 2006) (05189896AA)
also called supercharger pulley.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Thanks, but the pulley is not my problem, it's the clutch mechanism!
The clutch plate is part of the pulley assembly and cannot be replaced on its own without some serious work.

I asked before if this is an OEM part as some after market parts had spring problems, The gap should be as I stated before, your gap seems excessive and could lead to chatter because it is too far from the magnet and this could cause spring failure due to overstretching.

You had an offer of another pulley and if the pulley springs are ruined you would be advised to take the man up on his offer.

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger problem-634035559_srt_6pulley3_122_1176lo.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Forum Regular

The clutch plate is part of the pulley assembly and cannot be replaced on its own without some serious work.

I asked before if this is an OEM part as some after market parts had spring problems, The gap should be as I stated before, your gap seems excessive and could lead to chatter because it is too far from the magnet and this could cause spring failure due to overstretching.

You had an offer of another pulley and if the pulley springs are ruined you would be advised to take the man up on his offer.
aha! at last!!! so the clutch (as I call it) is part of the pulley assembly

Yes mine is OEM so who has one for sale and at what price? The price in the link posted by jmswllms is a bit silly could buy a new complete supercharger for that price (so I have been told)

Old 09-05-2012, 02:52 PM

If you think the pulley price is silly, you will really giggle at the supercharger price.
SUPERCHARGER. Supercharger & Related Parts (SUPERCHARGER. . ST. Required: 001) for CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE (2005, 2006) (05143091AB)

Quick Reply: Supercharger problem