U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Propshaft Flexible Couplings (Donuts)

Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propshaft Flexible Couplings (Donuts)

"A two-piece driveshaft links the transmission and rear axle through two flexible disks and one universal joint to
minimize driveline vibrations"

Ive just done some research having noticed some slight cracking in the rubber Flexible Coupling Disk (or donut) at the rear end of the propshaft. The front coupling is fine probably because it runs in - line where as the rear one takes some more flexing. Having checked out the MB info on this it seems that some SLK's have had failures of the part with catastrophic results so worth checking and changing if any signs of cracking. Some of our friends in USA have had to change these on the Xfire. This can be due to age/mileage or too much hard acceleration. It seems that while the standard SLK or standard Xfire can have this issue, the AMG/SRT versions eat these couplings for breakfast. I would recomend inspection and replacement if any signs of cracking around the bolt heads, especially if the miles are creeping up, and even more so on SRT models as mine has done only 33K and last only owner was a lady! The MB part numbers are different for standard SLK/Xfire and AMG/SRT as the more powerfull car has version which is much more beefed up. AMG version for SRT is part number 203 410 0215 £79.00+Vat from your local MB dealer.

Last edited by Steve - UK; 04-17-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Default Re: Propshaft Flexible Couplings (Donuts)

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Ive just done some research having noticed some slight cracking in the rubber Flexible Coupling (or donut) at the rear end of the propshaft. The front coupling is fine probably because it runs in - line where as the rear one takes some more flexing as the rear supension moves. Having checked out the MB info on this it seems that some SLK's have had failures of the part with catastrophic results so worth checking and changing if any signs of cracking. This can be due to age/mileage or lots of hard acceleration. It seems that while the standard SLK can have this issue, the AMG versions eat these couplings for breakfast. I would recomend inspection and replacement if any signs, especially if the miles are creeping up, and even more so on SRT models as mine has done 33K and last only owner was a lady! The MB part numbers are different for standard SLK and AMG as the more powerfull car version is much more beefed up. AMG version is part number 203 410 0215 £79.00+Vat from your local MB dealer.

First time I've seen this info re xfire pending trouble.

A big thanks Steve....my round next time we meet.

UKKen.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Ive just done some research having noticed some slight cracking in the rubber Flexible Coupling (or donut) at the rear end of the propshaft. The front coupling is fine probably because it runs in - line where as the rear one takes some more flexing as the rear supension moves. Having checked out the MB info on this it seems that some SLK's have had failures of the part with catastrophic results so worth checking and changing if any signs of cracking. This can be due to age/mileage or lots of hard acceleration. It seems that while the standard SLK can have this issue, the AMG versions eat these couplings for breakfast. I would recomend inspection and replacement if any signs, especially if the miles are creeping up, and even more so on SRT models as mine has done 33K and last only owner was a lady! The MB part numbers are different for standard SLK and AMG as the more powerfull car version is much more beefed up. AMG version is part number 203 410 0215 £79.00+Vat from your local MB dealer.
Well spotted Steve - great that you've brought this to our attention.
My car's just on 30k with next service due in 2k so will be checking this out v. soon.
Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2018, 07:42 AM

Mercedes Part Numbers for NON SRT

Propshaft Centre Bearing - A008 981 4325
Propshaft Centre Bearing Mount/Support - A170 410 0081
Propshaft Donut/Coupling - A000 411 0000 (front and rear are the same part)

Febi Bilstein versions are readily available at places like onlinecarparts.co.uk and relatively inexpensive.

Chrysler will want you to but a whole propshaft for almost £1,500

Old 08-21-2020, 12:48 PM

2005 Crossfire Coupe. I need to replace the driveshaft center bearing support. Will I need to drop the exhaust first? Or can it be done with out disconnecting the exhaust?

I am having a heck of a time with the forum today... I cannot find if there is a step by step guide to replacing it. For some reason, I cannot even properly navigate to the index for repairs/common issues.

If someone can help with a link it would be appreciated!

Old 08-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Reply to thread 'Procedure for replacing flex joint?'
from Needswings U will get the correct parts ,,,

example e bay and parts store,, most aftermarket flex disk the steel inserts are too big,, yes you can make them work(install) when pull them in with a wrench but U may not get them apart later with out a pry bar and a hammer ,,,the ones you get from needswings are not interference fit they are the correct ones.. when u remove the driveshaft look at where the slips joins come apart, one half of the driveshaft has 2 bumps and the other 1/2 has one bump this is the balance alignment ,( it is like take your left hand ,hold out 2 fingers and take your right hand and put your one finger between the two this is when you reassemble the driveshaft. jim
i though i posted this but 3 of my post have come back undelivered.. it is ease if u remove the muffler,, My first v8 ran 655 runs down the 1/4 mile and both flex disk were never replaced ( i did not use aftermarket ones,,, got mine from needswings. )

Last edited by amx1397; 07-18-2022 at 10:28 AM.