U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

What has happen to the UK part of this forum

  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM
marlam's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Filey, North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 86
Default What has happen to the UK part of this forum

I use to visit this forum very regularly up to 3 or 4 years ago, but back in 2013 we relocated to another part of the UK. We sold our house, but it took pretty much up to the middle of this year to find a new property that we liked and then complete the re-model/extension to it - it was a big and time consuming project for us. Significantly, during this time our crossfire (our weekend car) literally went out of commission as we spent all our time on the house. As a result, I rarely visited the forum.

Since we finished the house, I have got back “into the Crossfire” again and have, as ever, found the forum members’ help invaluable with some issues that have arisen recently. I have also been on the forum pretty much every day. What has surprised/disappointed me though, is the lack of activity on the UK section of the forum. When I was more active here, there was a constant flow of new threads and banter going on daily. I seem to remember names like UK Steve and Ken UK (or something similar) constantly being involved in threads, and the whole section was a hive of activity.

What has happened?

I know that there is a UKCrossfires website! Have all the UK members stopped contributing here and gone there? Has there been some kind of falling out between the two, or is it just one of those things? It just seems a shame that there is so little activity on this part of the forum, yet there are still plenty of Crossfire cars around in the UK – at least in the summer.

While I am at it, I also notice that FP seems absent. He seemed to be a constant feature here and I think I remember voting for his car in (was it) the Texaco car of the decade competition. I think he won if I remember correctly. I have a vague memory of him posting something about selling his Crossfire, but he still seemed to be on the forum regularly, or maybe my memory is not up to scratch.

Anyway, at the least this post adds some new activity to the UK section. Maybe it might get some responses.
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 PM
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Hampshire UK
Age: 57
Posts: 118
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

I'm in the UK, but never really post in this section - I just post on the rest of the forum, as the posts are noticed more I think.
I'm not a member of any UK Crossfire forum.
 
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2017, 06:20 PM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Originally Posted by marlam View Post
I use to visit this forum very regularly up to 3 or 4 years ago, but back in 2013 we relocated to another part of the UK. We sold our house, but it took pretty much up to the middle of this year to find a new property that we liked and then complete the re-model/extension to it - it was a big and time consuming project for us. Significantly, during this time our crossfire (our weekend car) literally went out of commission as we spent all our time on the house. As a result, I rarely visited the forum.

Since we finished the house, I have got back “into the Crossfire” again and have, as ever, found the forum members’ help invaluable with some issues that have arisen recently. I have also been on the forum pretty much every day. What has surprised/disappointed me though, is the lack of activity on the UK section of the forum. When I was more active here, there was a constant flow of new threads and banter going on daily. I seem to remember names like UK Steve and Ken UK (or something similar) constantly being involved in threads, and the whole section was a hive of activity.

What has happened?

I know that there is a UKCrossfires website! Have all the UK members stopped contributing here and gone there? Has there been some kind of falling out between the two, or is it just one of those things? It just seems a shame that there is so little activity on this part of the forum, yet there are still plenty of Crossfire cars around in the UK – at least in the summer.

While I am at it, I also notice that FP seems absent. He seemed to be a constant feature here and I think I remember voting for his car in (was it) the Texaco car of the decade competition. I think he won if I remember correctly. I have a vague memory of him posting something about selling his Crossfire, but he still seemed to be on the forum regularly, or maybe my memory is not up to scratch.

Anyway, at the least this post adds some new activity to the UK section. Maybe it might get some responses.
They seem to have pulled back to their own UKXFire club, you have to join at 20 pound per year. I see they have a technical forum that is closed to non members, I wonder how much of that forums info is from this forum. CICCI has copied this forums info and it is now also available to non members.
I think it is not morally right to copy other people's info then hide it from the very people it came from. Maybe there is no copied forum info there, I would like to know if that is true.
No doubt this forum supplies or has supplied lots of their knowledge.
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2017, 04:05 PM
marlam's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Filey, North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 86
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

UK Sid - This part of the forum used to be really lively. You can see it by looking at the older threads, i.e. pre 2015 and especially prior to 2012. All UK meets and regionally relevant info, like which companies were doing the best deals on tyres, where to source different parts etc, were all in this section. Shortly after I got my Crossfire I met up with a guy (through the forum) to take a look at the Crossfire decals that he had got from Andrew - it was a really good resource for UK Crossfire owners. There was also a lot of general chat/comments and the like, but not anymore.

Onehundred80– I suspect that your suspicions may be right and I am not a fan of paying for information that comes from other free sources (if of course that is the case – it may not be). I also think that the pooling of everyone’s knowledge of our cars is better than splintering off into closed regional groups, but that is just my opinion and it would seem that I am in the UK minority. I know that UKCrossfires organise meets, but with the odd exception (Eden Camp this summer), they seem to confine most of their meets to the south of England, which does not work for us.

Interestingly, I was at Eden Camp (a military museum) today, and the first thing that guy at the ticket booth said to me was “we had a load of Crossfires here earlier this year”. I asked if it was the UK club’s meet and he told me that it was and that there were around 18 cars. I reckon that is a pretty good number.
 
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM
waldig's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 4,396
Unhappy Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

BREXIT ????
 
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2017, 05:22 PM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Originally Posted by waldig View Post
brexit ????
lol ..............
 
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 PM
marlam's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Filey, North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 86
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Brexit nearly done – do you have room for another state? You could tag Britain on to Hawaii, that way we get better weather and you get a Royal family. Actually that sounds like a very bad deal for you.
 
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:27 AM
ala_xfire's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lineville, AL
Age: 74
Posts: 11,413
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

We'll tack you on to Washington state, the weather wouldn't change much
 
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Originally Posted by marlam View Post
Brexit nearly done – do you have room for another state? You could tag Britain on to Hawaii, that way we get better weather and you get a Royal family. Actually that sounds like a very bad deal for you.
After Brexit the country will end up ruined and will finally hit rock bottom. Young people should leave ASAP.
 
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manchester United Kingdom
Posts: 21
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Hi
I along with several others had issues whilst members of the UK Crossfires Club (which is actually an unofficial Club) when we asked for a treasures report and a breakdown of expenditure. This was not forthcoming even though we were paying a membership fee. I contacted the Motor Sports Association to see how they could get away with not producing accounts and it came to light that any unofficial Club is not responsible or accountable to its members so basically can do as it likes! We set up an alternative group British Crossfires which can be found on the internet and Facebook. Our group was then expelled from the Unofficial UK Crossfire Club for our actions which non of us lost any sleep over. Forums are really not used much as Facebook has pretty much taken over that role. If you live in the North of the Country or Midlands have a look at Britishcrossfires.co.uk or British Crossfires on Facebook. We arrange events free of charge. If you look at UK Crossfire Owners on Facebook they cover the South and arrange free events too.
 
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the midlands uk
Age: 57
Posts: 31
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Ive only been on here about a year, a lurker for quite awhile,whilst thinking of buying a crossfire. then registered when i bought one, Is the crossfire getting less enthusiastic owners now its getting on a bit, hence less activity, or has facebook took over.
 
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2017, 12:31 PM
marlam's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Filey, North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 86
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Thanks for the info Karl2866, I will take a look.

madleemark - I have been wondering the same thing. It looks like facebook and social media may be the answer, but they are not really my thing.
 
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the midlands uk
Age: 57
Posts: 31
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

I do use facebook, but i find forums such as this to be far more informative,
 
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-06-2017, 02:09 PM
UK-SRT6's Avatar
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London, England, UK
Posts: 336
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Like Karl, we also had major problems with UK Crossfire Club. Was a long time ago so not going into any details.

I started UK Crossfire Owners Group on Facebook must be 4 years ago now. There is no membership fees, no committee telling the members what to do it is just a very friendly group of Crossfire owners helping each other out. We have lots of meets up and down the country and they cost nothing to attend.

UK Crossfire Owners Group has grown into the largest owners group in the UK. Search for us on Facebook, answer one simple question (Do you own a Crossfire?) hit the join button and one of the Admin will except you to the group. Look forward to seeing you there.

All the technical advice on UKCC is copied from this forum, this forum is the best source of Tech info.
 
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM
marlam's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Filey, North Yorkshire, England
Posts: 86
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at some point.
UKCC copying technical info from here and then charging people to read it is not playing the game. Why not just place a link to the CrossfireForum!
 
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the midlands uk
Age: 57
Posts: 31
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Ive registered with ukcc, good to do, must confess i like to read anything to do with the crossfire
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Steve - UK's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK Crossfires Club
Posts: 1,689
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

What a load of Tosh!
As the founder of The UK Crossfires Club I can tell you proudly, that it is the only Official Club in the UK for the marque.
When Mo and Karl came on board they tried to use their big personalities to muscle in and dictate how things were going to be done - well sorry that did not work.
So Karl went off and set up his amazing group in the North, and Mo did the same in Kent with a few lunch meets etc.
Sour grapes have caused unnecessary grief, and the lies and miss representation has has caused some bitterness on both sides.
No technical info has been stolen - the club simply provides links to other sources of knowledge, just like CICCI and this forum.
The club has a membership subscription just like any other officially recognized club. I do know that £20 is a lot for some people. But its website and information is free.
The UK Crossfires Club has over 350 paid up members and is in contact with over 450 more, showing that you don't have to be a member to be a friend.
So lots of **** stirring by people who don't know anything!
If Mo or Karl wish to contact me personally to go over any points raised - I wait for your contact!
 
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Steve - UK's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK Crossfires Club
Posts: 1,689
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Originally Posted by onehundred80 View Post
After Brexit the country will end up ruined and will finally hit rock bottom. Young people should leave ASAP.

Your are completely uninformed 180. as usual you only talk crap
 
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2017, 10:02 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Originally Posted by Steve - UK View Post
Your are completely uninformed 180. as usual you only talk crap
Thanks for that. My comment was partly in jest.
I can see no technical information available with out getting a membership password. So it is not freely available from what I see, if any of the info that I have added is behind that wall I would be a bit upset. I raised that point with CICCI when it did added the links and they made it free and easy for everyone, and you should do the same.
 
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2017, 10:18 AM
onehundred80's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caledon, Ontario
Age: 79
Posts: 21,323
Default Re: What has happen to the UK part of this forum

Originally Posted by Steve - UK View Post
What a load of Tosh!
As the founder of The UK Crossfires Club I can tell you proudly, that it is the only Official Club in the UK for the marque.
When Mo and Karl came on board they tried to use their big personalities to muscle in and dictate how things were going to be done - well sorry that did not work.
So Karl went off and set up his amazing group in the North, and Mo did the same in Kent with a few lunch meets etc.
Sour grapes have caused unnecessary grief, and the lies and miss representation has has caused some bitterness on both sides.
No technical info has been stolen - the club simply provides links to other sources of knowledge, just like CICCI and this forum.
The club has a membership subscription just like any other officially recognized club. I do know that £20 is a lot for some people. But its website and information is free.
The UK Crossfires Club has over 350 paid up members and is in contact with over 450 more, showing that you don't have to be a member to be a friend.
So lots of **** stirring by people who don't know anything!
If Mo or Karl wish to contact me personally to go over any points raised - I wait for your contact!
Is miss representation another name for the title of Miss UK Crossfire?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.