**WEBSITE** Functions / Questions/ Suggestions Etc **NOT CAR RELATED** THREADS / DISCUSSIONS Post suggestions or questions regarding the FORUM FUNCTIONALITY etc. The Moderators will monitor postings here

Thread too large to be able to edit it

Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Thread too large to be able to edit it

This thread CLICK has become unmanageable due to its size, do you have any tips, please?

Old 04-11-2019, 02:06 PM
IB Staff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thread too large to be able to edit it

Can you describe in detail the issue you are experiencing with editing the thread? Generally, a 5 page thread is not considered large enough to need to rebuild.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by IB Cheryl
Can you describe in detail the issue you are experiencing with editing the thread? Generally, a 5 page thread is not considered large enough to need to rebuild.
When I change the wording or move articles to another heading and then save them in normal or advanced edit mode they end up where they were originally.
It has become a pain to edit and is very time-consuming and frustrating.
I have basically abandoned the thread and do not update it as problems have arisen just adding one line.
Could it be split into two threads with the list of PDFs attached to both threads?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:14 PM
IB Staff

We don't allow users to edit thread titles themselves, since it would be too easy for spammers to go in and ruin the credibility of the threads. I can, however, go in and edit it for you whenever requested. Would you like me to edit the title?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM

We don't allow users to edit thread titles themselves, since it would be too easy for spammers to go in and ruin the credibility of the threads. I can, however, go in and edit it for you whenever requested. Would you like me to edit the title?
I do not want to edit the thread title, just move some articles to the correct grouping, add new articles, correct some errors and delete obsolete articles.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 PM
IB Staff

Unfortunately that goes against our policies for members and only moderators, admins, and IB can perform such access. We appreciate your understanding, and feel free let me know if you would still like my assistance in the thread.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:21 PM

Unfortunately that goes against our policies for members and only moderators, admins, and IB can perform such access. We appreciate your understanding, and feel free let me know if you would still like my assistance in the thread.
You do not get what I am saying, I have done uit before with no trouble.
The thread is split into groupings of items about the engine, body, electrical etc. I have moved individual articles from one group to another before with no trouble, added new group titles and added new articles (PDFs) etc. Now it is very difficult as they may or may not stay where I put them after saving the post.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

Dave, when I get some time this weekend (it's gonna rain all day saturday), I will try to help!

Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Dave, when I get some time this weekend (it's gonna rain all day saturday), I will try to help!
Thanks Mark, it used to be OK but as it grew it got harder to edit. I move lines and they tend to return to where they were before I moved them. Sometimes things move OK though, very frustrating.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I move lines and they tend to return to where they were before I moved them. .
I had the same issue in the Fall Dragon thread this week.

I found that by hitting the "SOURCE" button above, and manually moving stuff around, I could get it to look right.
I don't think it's the size of the thread, I think it's the software running the forum. I like how they fixed our color choices, but I'm not a fan of some of the odd behavior when posting now.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Dave,

I didn't forget about you, I had not QUITE the weekend I had planned. Im headed to bed and will get into this tomorrow after work.
I still think I can fix it in source code mode - and can show ya how to get around this on your own.

I could be wrong, but I think I can help.

Have a good monday,
mark

Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

PLEASE listen to 180. The thread he speaks of IS HIS THREAD. 180 has created it and maintained it from it's conception.
PLEASE assist him in maintaining and updating his thread. It benefits this entire forum.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
PLEASE listen to 180. The thread he speaks of IS HIS THREAD. 180 has created it and maintained it from it's conception.
PLEASE assist him in maintaining and updating his thread. It benefits this entire forum.
Thanks for the support, the thread crashed once a few years back and it was destroyed. Fortunately it was backed up on the server and was rebuilt but the back up was a little out of date and I had to spend some time on it. It never got back to what it was though.
I am having trouble updating it now and it has fallen behind the times with some obsolete information and dead sites in it. It has been accessed some 190,000 times since it was created, if it crashes again I will not bother to rebuild it as it involves a lot of time.
Thanks again for your support.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:57 PM
IB Staff

There is a lot of confusion as to what problems/issues are being described. Our job is not to maintain and update threads for users. We do, however, fix the root cause so that the user can edit their thread themselves and the problem hopefully does not come up again in the future. Can you answer these questions below?

1) How are you editing the post, which button are you clicking to edit it? Is it the "edit" button on the bottom of each individual post?

2) What device and what browser are you using?

3) Can you take one section you are trying to edit from your original thread and copy and paste it into this thread as a post?

Old 04-15-2019, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Cheryl,

As I told you the other day, the forum software is flaky. In the fall dragon thread, I have to switch to source code to take out all the extra 'line breaks' that the site puts in the post.
The "Bullet" function (which appears in source as "list") is screwy in this version of software. I do not remember having this issue before, but I believe IB changed software at one point.

What Dave is going thru is, I am sure, related to what I dealt with in the dragon thread.

I think I can get around his trouble by switching to source mode, I'm going to TRY to make time tonight to see of that is indeed the case, for now, back to work......................

Mark

Old 04-15-2019, 04:19 PM
IB Staff

We are pretty aware of the issues you are describing, Mark, and our tech team is currently working on releasing fixes for the bullet point and indentation problems. There isn't actually a better software and editor out there for the site to use so unfortunately this is what we have to stick with.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:55 PM
Administrator

I've never seen this before, I think it sent normally, but why is it centering like that?
THe PM I sent a few minutes earlier didn't do that. I went to source code and there was no CENTER tags showing.

Im glad to hear it's being worked on.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 AM

There is a lot of confusion as to what problems/issues are being described. Our job is not to maintain and update threads for users. We do, however, fix the root cause so that the user can edit their thread themselves and the problem hopefully does not come up again in the future. Can you answer these questions below?

1) How are you editing the post, which button are you clicking to edit it? Is it the "edit" button on the bottom of each individual post?
Edit at the bottom of the post.

2) What device and what browser are you using?
FireFox on Windows 10

3) Can you take one section you are trying to edit from your original thread and copy and paste it into this thread as a post?
Engine SRTSyfi's do it yourself DCAI-1 PDF
SC pulley install-Code 3 shown-others the same. PDF
tighed1's Super cooler install PDF
Replace alternator/generator on SRT6 (NA similar)
NeedsWings SRT-6 Single Air Intake Install - PDF
SRT6 Inter Cooler pump always running method.
Oil catch can install For the SRT6
Install a Johnson IC Pump PDF
Supercharger Oil Change by 70GT6 PDF
Super Charger and Pulley Bearings PDF
SLK oil level sensor operation PDF
Secondary Air Pump repair PDF
Supercharger operating details and set up.
Super Charger pulley mods discussion.
Super Charger technical discussion.
Super Charger specs and load chart PDF from rcompartSyfi's do it yourself DCAI-1 PDF

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-17-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Cheryl,

Here is something odd. I went to the Fall Dragon thread which has a lot of pages. But I cant jump from page to page now. That bar at the bottom that shows other pages to choos from is gone.

I am running this:

Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Wait,

I changed from "Crossfire" to this and the page selection is back:

Maybe that is normal for that layout? I just changed to it cause Gary thought my issues might be the layout but it looks like "Crossfire" just does not include page 'switches'. Here is what I have now:

FUnny, Gary never mentioned that, he likes the "Crossfire" layout.

Quick Reply: Thread too large to be able to edit it