Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Please dont Kill me with this question

Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please dont Kill me with this question

i Know there are alot of stuff already about spacers but i have SRT6 oem rims and i will wait later till i have enough money to get new rims but for now i want them FLUSH with the fender..

Sounds like Ichiba is a great choice. i was thinking 15 mm in back and 10 in front but that does not seem to be much..i was thinking 20 back and 12 front..i need help..i have myself in a buy mood (VERY RARE) and want to buy soon before i change my mind..THANKS FAMILY, Nick

Old 08-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Default Re: Please dont Kill me with this question

So I have a physical illustration of how spacers add tension/stress to the suspension. So, im standing straight with both my arms out parallel to the floor with a dumbell in each had. My arms are the half-shafts of the rear suspension (I'm using the suspension of the rear for the illustration) and the dumbell in each had are the wheels. Now adding spacers is the same as me taking a ruler or a piece of wood, holding each one in my hand and them balancing the dumbells on the end of each ruler, thus balance and tension is increased on the entire arm. I do believe that is how it works with spacers. If any of you master mechanics on this forum can confirm this, I would highly appreciate it. I know, I'm weird but his just popped into my mind and thoughy I would post it. That being said, I am thinking of getting spacers for my rear wheels. Maybe haha. I hoped that helped Nick.

-Sam

Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Add 10mm to your arm and you will never notice....

To carpen04: I think you will be fine with 12mm in the back and 10mm in front.

I have some before and after pics in my gallery. I don't have the SRT6 but should give you an idea.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:42 PM

Hahahahaha well said FP. I never thought of that haha.

-Sam

Old 08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 510 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by carpen04
i Know there are alot of stuff already about spacers but i have SRT6 oem rims and i will wait later till i have enough money to get new rims but for now i want them FLUSH with the fender..

Sounds like Ichiba is a great choice. i was thinking 15 mm in back and 10 in front but that does not seem to be much..i was thinking 20 back and 12 front..i need help..i have myself in a buy mood (VERY RARE) and want to buy soon before i change my mind..THANKS FAMILY, Nick

Not to worry Carpen04.

Capital punishment , if ever imposed, will likely be reserved for the Sprint Booster Questioners.

roadster with a stick

Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 AM

yea but i dont think going from 12mm to 15mm is not a big diff, but gives assurance that it will be farther out..i just dont want to pay for the expensive ones then get them and notice geez they could go out farther...so do you think 15 is too big..do you think putting 12 mm in the back could still not be flush or is it flush..i dont mind if it sticks out more...Like i said 12mm and 15 mm is not much of a difference but does give you assurance..

man i blah blah blah on all the time and feel i never get to the point..hahha

Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry I can't help you with your questions.

But be warned to get the proper length wheel bolts to use with those spacers. I have read many times on the forum about wheel bolts being to long and wiping out the parking brake system. Most buy longer bolts and cut them to the proper length(?) Someone needs to chime in here and help him out before any damage is done.

James

Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good point James...just remember, pushing the wheels out further, you shorten the bolts holding them on...so need to make sure just how many threads you are losing when spacing your wheels...you might want to invest in longer bolts...

Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 AM
FP

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Good point James...just remember, pushing the wheels out further, you shorten the bolts holding them on...so need to make sure just how many threads you are losing when spacing your wheels...you might want to invest in longer bolts...
A good rule is to buy extended bolts by the thickness of the spacer. Do not use the OEM bolts.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 AM

The spacer is not the only factor involved. The offset of the wheel will also have an effect. I used spacers to get the center of the tire to as close as possible to the original setup with the new wheels. The down side for me on the bolts was I ended up getting two sets (different lengths) to get the fit I wanted. The new rims used a different style, and the test I used was threads or bite of the bolt. The OEM bolts all had seven threads of bite from start to "hand tight" and the original bolts I got ( longer by the amount of the spacer) only had three turns. I used this info, and a little math to calculate the length I needed to get back to the original amount of bite, purchased that length, and everything is good. I did it intentionally this way because I figured the cost of the extra bolts was nothing compared to fixing the emergency break system. As was stated by others, you do NOT want to get too long on the back or things can get ugly (and expensive) in a hurry.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

yes, and too short could have a very bad result...so, what we are saying, is do your homework or your math in this case...don't want to see you on the 6:00 o' clock news, car setting on the ground or worse...

Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Sonza,

It probably wasn't the offset of the wheel that effected the bolt length. I don't see where that should make any difference. My guess is that the aftermarket rim was thicker at the center (bolt hole area).

Just an observation. James

PS - Out of curiosity, where do you go to purchase different length wheel bolts?

Old 08-02-2009, 02:33 PM

ok i see what everyone is saying..

I am going to buy eibach pro spacers with the longer studs from Needswings.com...is there any objections with doing so..i am assuming that the kit has everything i need.. and also assuming that the longer studs should not need cutting for fitting.

Please do so and chime in and let me know what you think..Thanks again everyone for your time and information, NICK

Old 08-02-2009, 02:40 PM
FP

If you buy them from NeedWings, Rob will set you up right. He's a good guy.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM

thank you so much everyone..i must go ahead and do so and order fast before my rational conservative side of my brain kicks in...

Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 AM

ok i am ordering today ....but another red flag pop up came in to mind, i am going to lower the car after maybe 2 weeks after installation of spacers and thought Q: once i lower the car with eibach pro kit and gun it on the road will 15mm push the car wheel out to where it will rub the fender???

Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James1549
Sonza,

It probably wasn't the offset of the wheel that effected the bolt length. I don't see where that should make any difference. My guess is that the aftermarket rim was thicker at the center (bolt hole area).
correct

Originally Posted by James1549
PS - Out of curiosity, where do you go to purchase different length wheel bolts?
try here:
Lug Nuts Wheel Adapters Spacers Lug Bolts

Old 08-05-2009, 04:25 PM

James,
Actually I would guess there were two factors involved in why the bolts needed to be different lengths other than just adding the spacer thickness to the original lengths.
1) The thickness of the rim might have played a small part.

2) The new rims used a different "style" of bolt (tuner,conical,ball etc) from the original rim type.

I figured that is what made the difference, and just ordered new lengths to compensate. Didn't want to have a nice new shiny chrome rim pass the wifey on the road! I would never hear the end of that boo-boo.

I ordered my bolts from ezaccessory.com They have a pretty good selection to work with.