Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

General G-Max AS-03 = Incredible Tires

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: General G-Max AS-03 = Incredible Tires

Just ordered a set of these tonight from discounttiredirect.com. $720 out the door. No tax, no shipping. My XF had a set of Toyo Proxes4's on them. Super soft rubber, but the rears are almost slicks now... (treadwear rating=300).

Old 01-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the budget minded .....Achilles ATR Sports....W AAA UTQG 400 ....225/40 front 265/30 rear ....total $355 + sh. >30K miles on a set of fronts ....probably get to 40K.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hcarter
I had a set of the General Acclaim ..( not sure on the spelling) but they were the absolute worst tire I have ever purchased , only got around 10,000 miles the rubber actually started to break down , Really bad experence for me..... .
I've got General UHP on mine and I have well over 10,000 on them and I don't have any problems with them. They aren't any louder than the conti's that come on it new.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Just put some of these on the front, to compliment the UHPs i've got on the back. They have A TON of grip. Can't say about treadwear, but so far i love these tires! Definitely highly recommended!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diggin' up bones. :-)

It's time for me to put some new shoes on the Crossfire (Conti's tread is worn and the sidewalls are cracking bad) and from all of the research I've done, these General tires are the best bet for me. A mobile tire installer will provide the tires, mount, balance, reset TPMS, all for under $1000. And do it at my house. Can't beat that.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
Diggin' up bones. :-)

It's time for me to put some new shoes on the Crossfire (Conti's tread is worn and the sidewalls are cracking bad) and from all of the research I've done, these General tires are the best bet for me. A mobile tire installer will provide the tires, mount, balance, reset TPMS, all for under $1000. And do it at my house. Can't beat that.

Wow, $1000? Are you sure your getting new tires, careful wheel handling, correct weights and old weights removal, and they have the correct tool to reset the TPMS? Let me tell you, you do not want yes answers to all this and find out when they have your wheels all tore up that they lied...

TireRack has em for 700 for the set ( Tire Search Results ) with about 57 bucks shipping, how much would your local XF dealership charge to mount/bal/reset em? All you have to do is mark on the order the old weights removal and the lug bolts torque to 81ft/lbs!

If your using OEM sizes/rims, they have this many ( Tire Search Results ) pairs sorted by price low to high!

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 02-03-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added info
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
AutoSquad

Seems legit to me.

MrM is correct about the TPMS not caring what side of the car the rim/sensor is on. Our TPMS system only tells you one (or more) tires are low (when the system is working properly). Most new really expensive TPMS systems show pressures and locations that may or may not need to be in that exact location. I have rotated my tires twice (once every 6K) so far and it does not affect the TPMS system. That resetting only means more $ for the guys with fancy equipment and many payments to various places. If the same rims and sensors are being installed on the same OEM rims/vehicle there should be no reason to reset them. If you think paying to reset these is necessary, then please by all means spend YOUR money as you see fit. I will be buying the tires, having them shipped to me, and having someone with the right equipment swap them without damaging the TPMS sensors. If by chance the sensors start losing battery then I will have the stems replaced and will bypass the TPMS system entirely. Thats because I check my tires regularly and spend MY monies wisely.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 PM

I had my General G-MAX AS-03 done at Discount Tire complete replacement, tires, Balance, tax, etc. plus the " REBUILD KITS" for the TMPS sys for each tire. This is gaskets(O rings) and new schrader valves for each tire. Cost tax and all out the door for $998.00, as I remember. Tire pressure max is 31 PSI on the Generals, not the tire rating on the car door. Hardly any miles yet, but run smooth and quite. No complaints!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dtinker
Hardly any miles yet, but run smooth and quite. No complaints!

These seem to have better grip than the Falcons I replaced too..

Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM

TIREBUYER.COM is the place to go for all your tire needs. I had been going to Dobbs for years and getting robbed...lol Just bought 4 Conti DWS(original factory sizes) for 805.38 + 73.88(tax) for a total of 879.26. THE SHIPPING IS FREE. THE SHIPPING IS FREE. I saw the General AS's on their website also but I went with the DWS's. The speed rating & tread life was a little higher. They have all types of tires for the crossfire. Mine arrive in ONE DAY FED EX!!!! I'm a former Chrysler Plant engineer and I've been driivng the crossfires for years. I currently have a SRT6 Aeroblue convertible with the stock wheels chromed from LA Wheel. I get compliments and stares where ever I take it....lol This is an excellent Forum for how to do repair on the X-fire!!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 PM

After reading the posts on page 2 I figured getting the thread back on track couldn't hurt.

I've had these tires on my car for a year and a half with 35,000 miles.
I just replaced the rears which were right at the point of going bald. They still had marginally decent tread at 30K, but then wore quickly. While there was some road noise it was never bad until about 33K From the looks of the fronts I think I can get anther 10K - 15K out of them. Overall pretty happy with them, I put them on the rears again.

I just can't figure out why the rear tires wore more quickly than the fronts

Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old442

I just can't figure out why the rear tires wore more quickly than the fronts
If you do any kind of aggressive driving, the rears will definitely wear out faster. I cannot seem to keep a set of rears for more than 10-12k.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

UPDATE to my original post...

Mine are going on 19 months on the Limited and I am truly impressed. Just passed 30,000 miles and still have plenty of tread left. The rears showed a slight wearing toward the insides (common) which was alot better then any of the other previous sets. I'm thinking the larger size (275) and better sidewall flex may have helped this. So I rotated the rears (yes they can be cross-rotated by swapping the tires off the rims to keep the directional pattern) at around 22,000 miles, which can't be done with the DWSs I first considered. Fronts are still looking perfect. I'm anticipating at least another 10,000 miles out of them. They're still very quiet and have tons o' grip left in um. They've already doubled the mileage I got from all the previous sets I mentioned on the original post. Car was my daily driver till I got the SRT and now it's the wife's daily driver. Consider us both to be "spirited" drivers, but no burn-outs or "drifting" (lol)
Happy, Happy, Happy!

I have the Proxe4s on the SRT which are holding up nicely, but the rears are starting to get noicey. Was considering the Proxe4+ as replacements but they are a lot pricier. I'll probably go with the G-Maxs on her simply from the price point and the great results I've seen and I do really love that tread pattern!

Last edited by syfi; 05-16-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 PM

I've got a few thousand miles on mine.. Just this morning streets were wet from rain and I noted how well they perform from a red light as far as traction goes. The Falkens I had on would have been spinning under that acceleration.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I've got a few thousand miles on mine.. Just this morning streets were wet from rain and I noted how well they perform from a red light as far as traction goes. The Falkens I had on would have been spinning under that acceleration.
Same sentiments here! Doing 80+ mph on I95 in a driving rain with the Falkens was a true adventure. But on the G-Maxs in the same situation is like I'm driving on rails!

I might add that I had the 4 wheel laser align done on these, which I hadn't done on the other previous sets.

Last edited by syfi; 05-16-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by syfi
UPDATE to my original post...

I'll probably go with the G-Maxs on her simply from the price point and the great results I've seen and I do really love that tread pattern!
I'll probably go with the G-Maxs on my next purchase also. The tread pattern looks as if the tire is on fire.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 AM

I was thinking about the Wally World Nexen for the price.. but I'll be putting these back on when it comes time.. I "know" how they perform now and don't think I'd care to trade the performance for a "let's see"...

Nexen N3000 245/35-19 Tires

Our Price: $148.86

Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular

Folks, I'm gonna chime in here. My OEM tires were the Continentals. They lasted 30K. On a budget, I bought the Kumhos since they were cheap but I don't believe they even lasted the 30K. My next tire was the Michelin Pilot $port P$2. Yes very expensive and still only 30K miles. I now have a set of Yokohama AVID ENIvigor with ~10K. I do like these so far. I may only get 30K out of them I don't know but for the price/performance so far, I've been very happy.
Yokohama AVID ENVigor (W-Speed Rated)

Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 PM

When I bought my Crossfire last they had worn out Continentals on them. The car had sat on the lot for several months and I was concerned with the condition of the tires and their drivability and safety.The dealership agreed to replace the tires at no cost. the dealership replaced the worn Conti's with these:

BFGoodrich*g-Force T/A KDW 2

Overall it has been an excellent tire. The side walls are really stiff and they handle curves as if its on rails with no sqealing complaints. Driving in the rain has no effect on their performance. Ive placed over 15K miles on these puppies and they stiil look brand new. Im not an aggressive driver (only when the situation demands) and these ****'s hold the road as if they're ripping up the asphalt below them. They are slightly noisy than the Michelin's..but the growl from my dual pipes in the back drowns them out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bfg_gforceta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg (13.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 PM

Just replaced my rear ones and added a set of these on the front.. she just seems to want to find a corner now.. LOL. Guestimating 30k on them and could have pressed another 1-2k out of them. They will be going on the wife's roadster when it's time also.. I've never been "loyal" to a tire.. but these are the bomb!

Quick Reply: General G-Max AS-03 = Incredible Tires