Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...
View Poll Results: Vote for my next wheel!
TSW Silverstone (sporty elegance)
18.75%
C63 AMG (stealthy sport)
71.88%
Keep your existing Wilhelms (heavy, simple, sporty elegance)
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Okay you fine forum peoples, time to vote

Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Okay you fine forum peoples, time to vote

Tough choice, I'm not a huge fan of the 2pc look on the CF for some reason so I would lean towards the 63 out of the 2 but pretty brakes are a must with all that open space. Just wish we had more light weight options in general. When looking that was my priority but without going custom $$$$$$ it wasnt really possible with stock/compatible sizes/offset. The 63 while nicely shaped are a bit plain to me though,(good and bad) maybe taking it a step further and getting em done up in a darker gunmetal finish would add a bit more toughness to the look, hard to find a good balance in the shine/shade of color to not just look like they are dusty though. Have also been waiting for someone to color match all the silver trim to the rim color (gunmetal silver/bronze) If you want to go all out :P

Last edited by Airscape; 03-30-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AMG wheels win it easily for me. The other ones look too close to stock to be worth the money.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Airscape
Tough choice, I'm not a huge fan of the 2pc look on the CF for some reason so I would lean towards the 63 out of the 2 but pretty brakes are a must with all that open space. Just wish we had more light weight options in general. When looking that was my priority but without going custom $$$$$$ it wasnt really possible with stock/compatible sizes/offset. The 63 while nicely shaped are a bit plain to me though,(good and bad) maybe taking it a step further and getting em done up in a darker gunmetal finish would add a bit more toughness to the look, hard to find a good balance in the shine/shade of color to not just look like they are dusty though. Have also been waiting for someone to color match all the silver trim to the rim color (gunmetal silver/bronze) If you want to go all out :P
I think John (Boiler) is leading the charge on the total stealth look on the Graphite. And it's a winner.

Personally, I enjoy the "pop" that the silver trim provides... reminds me of the Spyker steam-punk design for some reason (loosely, don't flame me).

The Gunmetal finish on the C63 wheels will greatly stretch the time between required detailings... majority of the time my car is clean but the bright wheels appear filthy from the brake dust.

I will be running C32 brakes with Zimmermann rotors, with the calipers finished in a bright metallic silver. I've got some nice "branding" up my sleeve as well for the calipers. Should be a neat tie-in with my other custom emblems. Speaking ofe custom emblems, the ///AMG on the C63 wheels will bring the whole "Affalterbach" equation together in a subtle fashion, since the gunmetal finish conceals the logo until you're right up on it.

If you are searching for some lightweight, inexpensive wheels, check out TSW's Rotary-Forged line... the Interlagos and Nurburgring are two awesome designs that weigh basically the same as the Forgestars, with MUCH better finish quality.

Also, certain König wheels are available in Mercedes-Benz fitment... worth a look but it's more of a 'tuner' vibe.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely the C32s even though I'm not a huge fan of putting the AMG logo so predominantly on these cars, even if the SRT has an AMG engine in it. It still smacks of rebranding to me.

But, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, the full face design and open spoke configuration is much more flattering than those TSWs. The deeper lip is getting sort of passe these days, and all those little bolt heads and crazy number of spokes would just be a real PITA to keep clean. They're way too "blingy" for my tastes, and I don't think they compliment the Crossfire well at all.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Definitely the C32s even though I'm not a huge fan of putting the AMG logo so predominantly on these cars, even if the SRT has an AMG engine in it. It still smacks of rebranding to me.
I'm with you 100%. And honestly that's the one thing that made this decision a struggle, especially considering the lengths I've taken in keeping AMG off my car. Sadly, they're not moulded without the logo. If there's a silver lining, it's that the AMG logo is covered with the darker paint, and not part of a brightly polished surface where the logo could jump out at you.

Still trying to decide if I'm going to buy some blank center caps and have them painted graphite, then use my Affalterbach/SRT logos Andrew made me to cover the caps. I really don't want the three-pointed star in the center... I used to laugh at the VW kids for putting Audi centercaps on their wheels. Now I'm cross-pollenating like they are, LOL...

Old 03-30-2012, 03:09 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

John, you can always buy a blank center cover from this guy (OTISinc) on ebay. This is where I bought mine.

eBay My World - otisinc

Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by FP
John, you can always buy a blank center cover from this guy (OTISinc) on ebay. This is where I bought mine.

eBay My World - otisinc
Link saved

Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I think John (Boiler) is leading the charge on the total stealth look on the Graphite. And it's a winner.

Personally, I enjoy the "pop" that the silver trim provides... reminds me of the Spyker steam-punk design for some reason (loosely, don't flame me).

The Gunmetal finish on the C63 wheels will greatly stretch the time between required detailings... majority of the time my car is clean but the bright wheels appear filthy from the brake dust.

I will be running C32 brakes with Zimmermann rotors, with the calipers finished in a bright metallic silver. I've got some nice "branding" up my sleeve as well for the calipers. Should be a neat tie-in with my other custom emblems. Speaking ofe custom emblems, the ///AMG on the C63 wheels will bring the whole "Affalterbach" equation together in a subtle fashion, since the gunmetal finish conceals the logo until you're right up on it.

If you are searching for some lightweight, inexpensive wheels, check out TSW's Rotary-Forged line... the Interlagos and Nurburgring are two awesome designs that weigh basically the same as the Forgestars, with MUCH better finish quality.

Also, certain König wheels are available in Mercedes-Benz fitment... worth a look but it's more of a 'tuner' vibe.
Thanks for the info once again, still very happy with the wilhelms but once these tires are worn down I might start looking again. BEGI is the next big purchase though of all pans out. Good call on the c32 brakes as well. I walk by a c32 sport at work daily salivating at the setup and wondering how long it would take to do the swap in the parking lot . Any particular reason your not going with the 32 drilled rotors? I figured the whole setup would be a straight swap.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=JHM2K]I'm with you 100%. And honestly that's the one thing that made this decision a struggle, especially considering the lengths I've taken in keeping AMG off my car. Sadly, they're not moulded without the logo. If there's a silver lining, it's that the AMG logo is covered with the darker paint, and not part of a brightly polished surface where the logo could jump out at you.....
quote]

John,
My wheels do NOT have the AMG logo on them... they are the 810 replicas from Rob..... But I did put the all sivler AMG center caps on them.... you cant see the AMG unless you are right up on them.... my front C32 and rear SLK55's do have AMG logo's.... and I love how they STOP!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 AM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I still like the TSW Silverstone for the Crossfire better. While the C63 are probably a nicer looking wheel, I think the TSW's are a better match for your car. Just my .02 cents.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Airscape
Any particular reason your not going with the 32 drilled rotors? I figured the whole setup would be a straight swap.
The Zimmermann rotors are drilled in the exact pattern as the OEM. With the OEM rotors, the rears are blanks and I'm a **** about matching F/R. OEM is certainly cheaper

Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FP
I still like the TSW Silverstone for the Crossfire better. While the C63 are probably a nicer looking wheel, I think the TSW's are a better match for your car. Just my .02 cents.
I'll throw a couple more pennies here - for me the Donington, Nurburgring or Croft (all TSW and all available in gunmetal) are much better choices for our cars: full face rather than deep lipped and spoke patterns that are far from stock.