Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Eibach Pro Kit qun...

Old 11-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Eibach Pro Kit qun...

You know what? I don't know. I think Chryslers eyes were bigger then there chasis. Because my tires most definitely hit that wheel well. As much as I hate it, I would never put smaller rims and tires on it.
So I'm going to the passive agressive on this one.You know the guy who complains to everyone, and does nothing about what is bothering him. I'm that guy right now.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just go to Mercedes dealer, ask the part guy to look up the spring pad for SLK. Ask them the different part numbers.
It's like the A in the attached:

I might be able to look up the part number in my Benz EPC.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front suspension.jpg (53.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-27-2004, 06:40 AM

Ok thanx...hey Saskins...my tires look nowhere near like rubbing. I'm runing the Conti's....do you have the Michelins? Are you running spacers?

Old 11-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trust me, your tires will rub if you use the Eibach / Koni combo. They will rub in three places under your front drivers wheel well when you are driving alone, making a HARD, braking right turn. And the right side will rub when you have a passenger in the car and you are making a HARD, left breaking turn. I'm talking typical sports car driving turns at 45 - 60+ mph that creates substantial front down force.

You may also experience some rub when you are turning in reverse and crank the wheel hard to the left or right.

I am running the Conti's as well. After a few dozen rubs, you'll see three little patches under your wheel well where the tire is making contact. It is on the inboard side of the tire, aligned with the inboard edge of the tread on your tire.

After quite a few days at the track and some seriously fast canton driving, I have worn down three (now highly polished) spots, all the way down to the bare aluminum. I'm afraid that if I don't increase the space by appx. 1/4" I will eventually wear right through the aluminum and shred my tire... Not good if you're doing 75mph turns with 10 other sports cars only inches away from you on a race track...

I'm looking at the possibility of stiffening the front tortion bar to limit the body roll on those hard turns, but I'm not sure that will achieve the FIX. And I'm afraid that when I go to a bit beefier RACE tire, the problem will get worse.

Although the spots under the wheel well look like they could be heated and pounded in / up to give a bit more clearance, since they are very small (about 2"w x 4"l)

I'll keep you posted...

Old 11-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Banned

I would say blowing a tire would probably ruin the wheel and anyone next to U.

Old 11-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Banned

Hey Derick does the new muffler give much HP difference?

Old 11-28-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Hey Derick does the new muffler give much HP difference?
Not noticable... read my other posts from today...

Old 11-29-2004, 12:08 AM
CrossfireForum.org Founder
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
Trust me, your tires will rub if you use the Eibach / Koni combo. They will rub in three places under your front drivers wheel well when you are driving alone, making a HARD, braking right turn. And the right side will rub when you have a passenger in the car and you are making a HARD, left breaking turn. I'm talking typical sports car driving turns at 45 - 60+ mph that creates substantial front down force.

You may also experience some rub when you are turning in reverse and crank the wheel hard to the left or right.

I am running the Conti's as well. After a few dozen rubs, you'll see three little patches under your wheel well where the tire is making contact. It is on the inboard side of the tire, aligned with the inboard edge of the tread on your tire.

After quite a few days at the track and some seriously fast canton driving, I have worn down three (now highly polished) spots, all the way down to the bare aluminum. I'm afraid that if I don't increase the space by appx. 1/4" I will eventually wear right through the aluminum and shred my tire... Not good if you're doing 75mph turns with 10 other sports cars only inches away from you on a race track...

I'm looking at the possibility of stiffening the front tortion bar to limit the body roll on those hard turns, but I'm not sure that will achieve the FIX. And I'm afraid that when I go to a bit beefier RACE tire, the problem will get worse.

Although the spots under the wheel well look like they could be heated and pounded in / up to give a bit more clearance, since they are very small (about 2"w x 4"l)

I'll keep you posted...
Strange... I have taken some very hard turns in my car, and have not had any rubbing. Only time there is any rubbing is if I turn the wheel ALL the way to the side. Mind you I am also running some pretty thick spacers front and rear. I have the PS2s. I wonder what is causing the difference...

Old 11-29-2004, 12:21 AM

SLK Spring pads:

Front
A 210 321 01 84 (5mm)
A 210 321 02 84 (9mm)
A 210 321 03 84 (13mm)
A 210 321 04 84 (17mm)
A 210 321 05 84 (21mm)

Rear
A 210 325 01 84 (5mm)
A 210 325 02 84 (9mm)
A 210 325 03 84 (13mm)
A 210 325 04 84 (17mm)

Basically you can adjust the height of your car with different pads. Sometime mercedes use this to adjust the camber.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:19 AM

Interesting info ps....

Where do can we get these from - a MB dealer?

Old 11-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Banned

If you can change pads, don't we first need to know what size we have in the XFire??? Maybe we have 5mm but if we have 21mm we could drop 2x that? = 16x2 = 32mm isn't that about 1 inch?

Old 11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Cool Re: Eibach Pro Kit qun...

Originally Posted by HDDP

I'll keep you posted...
After reading this post and reading your post under the RACING category it reminded me of my first Corvette that I bought new in 1978. Back then, the standard tire was a Goodyear 70 series radial. The optional performance tire was a 60 series Goodyear Eagle GT, raised white letters, etc. The GM wisdom at the time, in order to resolve a tire rubbing problem on the inside lip of the front fenders, during hard turn, was as follows: they actually "shaved" about 1/2" off the inside lip (fibreglass), almost the entire fender well, to allow enough clearance for the tire. This was done at the factory and only for the cars with performance tire option. If you ever see a 1978 Corvette, check the inside front lips and you will know what tire option the car came with.
Amazing but true!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:04 PM

Mighty: The spacers were never changed from the OEM when we installed the eibachs and koni's. I don't know what difference we have in our cars but it is an issue with mine none the less. I'll try and shoot a picture the next time I have the car up on a lift.

I know it's not a weight issue as I'm barely 170lbs

Old 11-29-2004, 12:31 PM

xfyred:
Yes, just go to any MB dealers and give them the part number. It should be around $7-$8.

Dan Root:
Each spring has 1 pad. So changing from 21mm to 5mm will give you approximately 16mm drop. However, in the case of Mercedes, every single car comes with different spring pad settings. It's hard to generalize that every crossfire will have certain pad setting. This is why when I lower my C36 AMG versus some of my friend, even tough we both uses the exact same H&R, our drops looks different because we are using different spring pads. The thinner the pad is, the firmer your ride will be.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

Well I know that Mercedes/Chrysler dropped the ball when it came to my car. Because, my bone stock suspension rubs similarly to what HDDP has going on with his set up. The thing that is strange to me though is why am I having a clearance issue with the stock suspension, and no one else has noticed it until after going with different springs and shocks. Can my car just be the needle in the hay stack.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Question Re: Eibach Pro Kit qun...

Originally Posted by saskins
Well I know that Mercedes/Chrysler dropped the ball when it came to my car. Because, my bone stock suspension rubs similarly to what HDDP has going on with his set up. The thing that is strange to me though is why am I having a clearance issue with the stock suspension, and no one else has noticed it until after going with different springs and shocks. Can my car just be the needle in the hay stack.
Ya must have stretched the envelope with your stock suspension. How much weight does all that "intake tubing" amount to??

Old 11-30-2004, 03:59 AM
Forum Regular

HA Ha.....Actually, the intakes are a bit on the heavy side. That only because they are made out of 16 gage steel. Those babies can take a beating, and still comes up smelling like a rose.

As far as stretching it, When I think back when I first got the car, I remember hearing a sound, that sounded like rubbing. Now prier to owning the XF I had driven chevy trucks. This was my first official car. I really didn't know what to listen, or look out for. With that outlook, I was overly careful with the car to start. So I really don't think that it was something that I had done to, or with the car to cause it to rub.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pnsji
SLK Spring pads:

Front
A 210 321 01 84 (5mm)
A 210 321 02 84 (9mm)
A 210 321 03 84 (13mm)
A 210 321 04 84 (17mm)
A 210 321 05 84 (21mm)

Rear
A 210 325 01 84 (5mm)
A 210 325 02 84 (9mm)
A 210 325 03 84 (13mm)
A 210 325 04 84 (17mm)

Basically you can adjust the height of your car with different pads. Sometime mercedes use this to adjust the camber.
what are the stock pads for our crossfire?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:47 AM

It's different with every car. Mine comes with:
Front: pad #3
Rear: pad#1

Old 01-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned

Had my Eibachs installed with babeviper car the same day his springs were 1" longer than my stock springs.

Quick Reply: Eibach Pro Kit qun...