Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Recommend some rims?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommend some rims?

Hey all,

Been a while since I've been around here, haven't driven my Xfire much past couple of years. Great to see the site still going strong.

Anyhow, need new front tires, will be going with Kumhos again to match the newish ones on the back. But also kind of want to buy all new wheels, as my stock ones have some chips, and I love the look of darker rims with my Graphite car.

Usually buy from Tire Rack, but seems like everything they have in my price range is either out of stock in either fronts or backs OEM. Can anyone give me some advice here? No problem going with a different size up front if necessary, don't want to change back tires at present so would like to stay with stock size tires there.

Trying to keep costs down to around $1000-1200, including the $400 or so for the two front tires. As noted above, car is graphite, would like to go with a dark or black wheel, black accents, something like that.

Kind of like these Lorenzo WL27s at Tire Rack, but they don't wow me quite enough for the price. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Thanks a lot! Tire thing kind of confuses me here. Worried about getting something that doesn't fit.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:42 PM
xme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Recommend some rims?

See if NeedsWings or PowerWheelsPro.com can help you out, they're both familiar with what fits.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddy
Hey all,

Been a while since I've been around here, haven't driven my Xfire much past couple of years. Great to see the site still going strong.

Anyhow, need new front tires, will be going with Kumhos again to match the newish ones on the back. But also kind of want to buy all new wheels, as my stock ones have some chips, and I love the look of darker rims with my Graphite car.

Usually buy from Tire Rack, but seems like everything they have in my price range is either out of stock in either fronts or backs OEM. Can anyone give me some advice here? No problem going with a different size up front if necessary, don't want to change back tires at present so would like to stay with stock size tires there.

Trying to keep costs down to around $1000-1200, including the $400 or so for the two front tires. As noted above, car is graphite, would like to go with a dark or black wheel, black accents, something like that.

Kind of like these Lorenzo WL27s at Tire Rack, but they don't wow me quite enough for the price. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Thanks a lot! Tire thing kind of confuses me here. Worried about getting something that doesn't fit.
Try Wheelfire.com They have an excellent selection and from my experience offer very good service.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For rears if you are looking for 9-9.5" wide rears there are plenty of options at a descent price. 10"+ for rears on 19" has "extremely" limited options in a 5x112.
Which styles do you like lip, concave or flat?
What tire sizes are you running?

Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I might be a dealer for TSW wheels very shortly, take a look at their selection and let me know if there is anything you like (though you'll probably need spacers depending on what you pick)

Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM

I'll give you some idea's. Ive owned numerous cars and put wheels on all. and i believe its an important choice. because if you get it wrong your car will look like ****. something that suits the car and then car and wheels will compliments each other.

Im in australia, and people seem to have the same problem here, ugly wheels on a sleek nice looking car. they dont think when they buy them what there actually going to look like on there car, and then after dumping a wad of cash on them they have to live with them, ignoring the fact they look ****.

I was looking through this site over here called ozzy tyres. and there pictures of all the customers cars they have done.
low and behold there was some crossfires.

so here are some pictures of what not to do.

FAIL :

FAIL :

FAIL:

EPIC FAIL :

NOW I LIKE THIS :

Last edited by bullpup; 06-05-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:00 AM

Thanks a lot for the help! Looking at Wheelfire right now. Of course, what I like the most isn't available in 18 and 19. Any issues with going 19s front and back? Or 18 front and 20 back? One wheel I like is only available in 18 and 20, skipping 19. Starting to lean toward 19s all around if that's doable. Is it? Will there be any noticeable differences with handling, spedo, etc.? Comfort altered at all?

One other question, though. Wheelfire's recommended tires in their package deals for the Crossfire aren't stock sizes. For example, with the 19s I'm looking at, the tire size is 225/35/19. Will that be okay? Seems like a significant difference from the stock. If I go 19s front and back, what size tires should I look for? Looking at Toyo Proxes T1.

Man, I find this confusing and annoying. Not exactly easy putting new wheels and tires on this thing...lol

Old 06-06-2014, 10:17 AM

Don't change the wheel diameters, it will affect the handling and the looks, it was designed for 18's and 19's. You can go with wider rims and wider tires and there is a pretty good selection available in 18-19. At Wheelfire enter chat and see if you can talk to Luis Alvarez, he recommended the wheels I have on, over one that I had picked and I couldn't be happier. take your time, google info on offset, width etc. I have seen several CF owners who have put extremely wide tires on stock rims. That is NOT a wise thing to do, use Tire Rack site, it will tell you what size tires are recommended for what size rims, etc. They are professionals.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanks, Jim. I don't want to change any sizes, but it's damn tough to find something I like (black or blackish wheels) at the stock sizes. Getting really frustrated. Only affordable Tire Rack options are 19s all around. And at Wheelfire, they don't even note the staggered sizes with their packages. Just give you an option to picks 18s, 19s, or 20s for front and back with no other choices. I'm actually getting very frustrated here. This is requiring a hell of a lot more work than just ordering tires and wheels should require. I look at this, the age of the car, and things like my clouded headlights (done the cleaning and buffing, etc., problem is on the inside of the lenses) and the cost of replacing them ($500-600 apiece now!!??) and issues with both my alarm and my high beams (have parts, still need to get work done), and start thinking this is all a message to sell the thing.

Can't even figure out how to enter chat at Wheelfire. Looks like only option is to call them. Jeez.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 PM

And nobody answering phone at Wheelfire. Just keeps taking me back to main menu. No Luis Alvarez in directory.

Like I say, it's like the car gods are giving me a sign here...lol Well, not actually lol, because I'm getting pretty annoyed now. This should not be this much of a pain in the ***.

Last edited by Toddy; 06-06-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Still no answer at Wheelfire. Pretty rotten customer service. I'd understand if they had a message posted saying system was down or whatever, but this just kicking you back to the main menu after nobody picks up at the customer service is pretty lame. Anyhow, was looking at these wheels, with upgraded tires. But again, still have questions about 19s all around, and the tire sizes Wheelfire is recommending are way off the stock.

https://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/W...&TireSKU=18225

Old 06-06-2014, 07:07 PM
xme

Originally Posted by Toddy
at Wheelfire, they don't even note the staggered sizes with their packages. Just give you an option to picks 18s, 19s, or 20s for front and back with no other choices. I'm actually getting very frustrated here.
You're going to find this at a lot of sites... Some of them will be willing to split them up, but probably only if you call. There's always finding a style you like, and painting or powdercoating too.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Done for now. Back to looking at just tires and keeping the stock rims. Going with cheap Sumitomos, which seem to be rated fairly highly, esp for price at Tire Rack. Trying to look at this another way now, too. Getting tires, then finding wheels to fit. Or is that nuts? Virtually nothing seems to fit 18s and 19s. Get one, but not the other. 18s then up to 20s, which cranks cost of tires, too. I really don't want to go with bigger due to added $$$. Even going to matching 19s puts cost of front tires up about $80 each.

Having to go through this is absolutely idiotic. It's no wonder the car died a quick death. This sort of thing is crazy. They should have thought of this during the design. The tires/wheels sizing makes it a lot tougher than it should be.

Thanks to everyone for advice here. But was really hoping for something much more plug and play. I'm not going to paint or powder coat or anything like that. All I want is a viable option for tires and black/blackish wheels that doesn't break the bank, won't affect performance unduly. Doesn't seem like much to ask. But here I am. Went through this a year ago and gave up. Now have front tires nearly undriveable, huge cracking on sidewalls. At point of giving up again, just putting matching Kumhos on front and then selling. So anyone wants a Roadster Limited in great shape in SE Ontario, with the cedar interior and upgraded Alpine marine HU in it, not far from Ottawa, let me know.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bullpup
I'll give you some idea's. Ive owned numerous cars and put wheels on all. and i believe its an important choice. because if you get it wrong your car will look like ****. something that suits the car and then car and wheels will compliments each other.

Im in australia, and people seem to have the same problem here, ugly wheels on a sleek nice looking car. they dont think when they buy them what there actually going to look like on there car, and then after dumping a wad of cash on them they have to live with them, ignoring the fact they look ****.

I was looking through this site over here called ozzy tyres. and there pictures of all the customers cars they have done.
low and behold there was some crossfires.

so here are some pictures of what not to do.

FAIL :

FAIL :

FAIL:

EPIC FAIL :

NOW I LIKE THIS :
I wouldn't put that second picture in there as a Fail...all the others..YES

Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 PM
xme

What about something like these:

ADVANTI RACING® DENARO Wheels - Gloss Black with Machined Lip Rims

Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Don't give up yet, once you get things sorted, it will be a blast. Take a look at these and I think that there is one close to this, called GT7. available in 18s and 19s also 2 widths so the narrower one would suit you. Good for stock size but you could go wider if you wanted to. They are MRR brand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
008.jpg (1.25 MB, 13 views)
Old 06-06-2014, 09:32 PM
xme

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Don't give up yet, once you get things sorted, it will be a blast. Take a look at these and I think that there is one close to this, called GT7. available in 18s and 19s also 2 widths so the narrower one would suit you. Good for stock size but you could go wider if you wanted to. They are MRR brand.
+1, don't give up. The problem for wheels I like always seemed to be the rears... 19x8.5-9.5 +35 or less with the correct bore and bolt pattern doesn't seem to be terribly common. 18s and 20s were easy. I'm waiting on some backordered wheels myself still. It's been awhile. Ended up having to buy a cheap tire to replace a bubbled one and hold me over.