Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

LED vs HID

Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: LED vs HID

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
I was disappointed to see the 65Wers were still 3400K. So you can see more of the road with the same wattage bulb but the whiter light?
My eyes will be 68 years old in a month and I use glasses for all my driving. YES, I can see much better at night with the 4000k bulbs. The light is much more like daytime sunlight.
When I was younger I worked regularly at night and our lighting was red to help maintain good night vision when we went outside. I could see much better then, but now it takes a very long time for my eyes to adjust to night vision and they aren't what they used to be. So for me personally the 4000K is a much better light. I run them in both high and low beams.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this youtube video provides an excellent review and assessment of halogen, HID, and LED headlights. I should have just watched this from the get-go. I do appreciate all your inputs and, as always, crossfire forum is truly one and only. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
Well, this youtube video provides an excellent review and assessment of halogen, HID, and LED headlights. I should have just watched this from the get-go. I do appreciate all your inputs and, as always, crossfire forum is truly one and only. Thanks.
As I suspected the LED's can't get out of the parking lot and because of the focus issue, read parabolic reflector/light source location.

Good down the road view comparison video.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Blazing, didn't point the reply at you, I used the wrong word 'you' in 3 places the post so I can see why you felt that way. Everything you said is right on, we're good. Funny, when those guys jack their front ends (or overload their vehicles) the low beams are like highs, and when you 'flick' them with your highs, they turn on their high beams and it is actually a dimmer glare! I can also say (forgot to include it originally) that some people swing the opposite way when dealing with this issue, know a guy who got tired of the this whole headlight mess on the road and installed a light bar on his aftermarket front bumper AND a light bar on his roof. You can imagine what happens, one day someone will retaliate. Secretly, I hope he does it to a law enforcement agency, I would love to be a fly on the wall when that happens!

I responded to this post but the post seems to have disappeared... weird. Thanks for the clarification and your thoughts on the matter.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 AM

I've decided to go with these Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Headlights. They seem to be a good option for those who do not want to deal with the various complications of using non-halogen lights such as LED or HID.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 12-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
I've decided to go with these Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Upgrade Headlights. They seem to be a good option for those who do not want to deal with the various complications of using non-halogen lights such as LED or HID.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
GOOD PRICE, Check back in a week or so and lets us know how those bulbs work for you. The PIAA is expensive as I think their longevity and ability to take vibration are better than most other brands.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran first gen LED bulbs a couple years ago in my NA. A year later, one of them started to flicker and eventually died so I reverted back to HID. I currently use HID in both low beam and fog light of my SRT6. I have since gone thru different setups over the years, over a variety of vehicles and I can say, you get what you pay for!

I don't totally dismiss LED just yet! This video answers many questions on LED application and their evolution. My guess is in a couple years time, we will have more reliable, efficient and affordable LED's

Old 01-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by turbomar
I ran first gen LED bulbs a couple years ago in my NA. A year later, one of them started to flicker and eventually died so I reverted back to HID. I currently use HID in both low beam and fog light of my SRT6. I have since gone thru different setups over the years, over a variety of vehicles and I can say, you get what you pay for!

I don't totally dismiss LED just yet! This video answers many questions on LED application and their evolution. My guess is in a couple years time, we will have more reliable, efficient and affordable LED's
This is why LED cannot obtain the candlepower of HID or H7... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sonh...outu.be&t=1601

Still only "almost mimics" AND "The reason LEDs have been garbage is because the filament needs to be in a really specific spot inside the headlight."

Sad that they put that much effort into testing but don't show any side by side light patterns down the road.

Last edited by KDW4Him; 01-02-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have LEDs in mine, easy to install and I haven't had a problem yet with the housing. I've never got into HIDs because I read online and talked with people that had them, they say they got so hot they melted their headlamps. And when I read online and spoke with people about LEDs they said they run cooler, and emit more focused light.

The best I can think of, is put what you want in it. Everyone's going to have mixed feelings about them. And when it comes to the law, there are so many different modifications made to cars that are illegal, you just got to pick your battles.

Mike

Old 01-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurkin
I have LEDs in mine, easy to install and I haven't had a problem yet with the housing. I've never got into HIDs because I read online and talked with people that had them, they say they got so hot they melted their headlamps. And when I read online and spoke with people about LEDs they said they run cooler, and emit more focused light.

The best I can think of, is put what you want in it. Everyone's going to have mixed feelings about them. And when it comes to the law, there are so many different modifications made to cars that are illegal, you just got to pick your battles.

Mike
Another thread somewhere here and seen lately put LEDs at the bottom of the list for light output. It had a comparison between Halogen, HID and LED, the HID was top and the LEDs were bottom, so your post seems out of sync with others and goes against all that comes in the previous posts in this thread. The basic premise that the light source should be at the focal point of a parabolic lens is not met when you have the LEDs offset on the four sides of the bulb center post. At least the filaments of the HIDs and Halogens are on the center line if not all totally at the focal point.
I guess having paid for the bulbs one has to put a positive spin on the result of the cash outlay. Does the car seem faster?
Just kidding.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:12 PM

Well I guess I am just an out of sync type of person, doing my own things. They work, and they work well. So far no complaints about them, but then again I live in an area where everyone uses LEDs and HIDs in reflector headlight housings. I think since the LEDs use less power I am getting a stronger spark and more HP

Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 AM

Well I guess I am just an out of sync type of person, doing my own things. They work, and they work well. So far no complaints about them, but then again I live in an area where everyone uses LEDs and HIDs in reflector headlight housings. I think since the LEDs use less power I am getting a stronger spark and more HP
LOL, there you go it works every time.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:29 PM

So throw an H7 in one side and take some down the road pictures...

Old 01-10-2017, 07:45 PM

I'm not buying a HID to show the difference!

Old 01-10-2017, 08:31 PM

I'm not buying a HID to show the difference!
H7 is not HID, it's the OEM bulb.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:25 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Actually, H7 is the bulb TYPE.
Halogens that fit are H7
HID's that fit are H7
LED's that fit are H7

Old 01-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Actually, H7 is the bulb TYPE.
Halogens that fit are H7
HID's that fit are H7
LED's that fit are H7
Isn't the "H7" a designation by the international vehicle regulation standards committee for a filament type bulb? HID and LED are not that type of bulb.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Isn't the "H7" a designation by the international vehicle regulation standards committee for a filament type bulb? HID and LED are not that type of bulb.
Yes .............. CLICK