Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

4 Eurocharged pulleys later and I'm still shredding belts. Help?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Eurocharged pulleys later and I'm still shredding belts. Help?

First off, Eurocharged has been great to deal with. Great service.

I had some bugs with the few pulleys and now have a 4th. The last 2 65mm pulleys I've ran with a canned tune designed for it from Eurocharged, I've shredded belts on the "inside" (supercharger side). I've measured the gap per the original Code3 pulley instructions and ran the stock spacer along with trying no spacers and even additional ones that EC sent me. The last 2 spaced within tolerances with the original spacer. I've checked all the other pulleys for issues and all looks well. I shredded the first around 700 miles and the 2nd around 300 miles. I'm now on a stage 1 tune and stock pulley with over 800 shred free miles. Both belts were OEM Gates belts.

Anyone else out there have any ideas on what to check? I miss that pulley!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Re: 4 Eurocharged pulleys later and I'm still shredding belts. Help?

Originally Posted by hallfleming
First off, Eurocharged has been great to deal with. Great service.

I had some bugs with the few pulleys and now have a 4th. The last 2 65mm pulleys I've ran with a canned tune designed for it from Eurocharged, I've shredded belts on the "inside" (supercharger side). I've measured the gap per the original Code3 pulley instructions and ran the stock spacer along with trying no spacers and even additional ones that EC sent me. The last 2 spaced within tolerances with the original spacer. I've checked all the other pulleys for issues and all looks well. I shredded the first around 700 miles and the 2nd around 300 miles. I'm now on a stage 1 tune and stock pulley with over 800 shred free miles. Both belts were OEM Gates belts.

Anyone else out there have any ideas on what to check? I miss that pulley!
Have you studied the crankshaft pulley? It is possible that it is coming apart. The rubber disintegrates and the pulley moves forward. If it is falling apart do not drive the car or it will be like a hand grenade going off under the hood. The belt jumps the grooves and shreds the belt. Yours maybe something else but that is what springs to mind right now.

There is a thread somewhere and I will look for it.
Here it is.

This problem also occurred with an after market crankshaft pulley (181) not being made correctly.

What actually happened to the belt? Was it all of the belt or just a couple of ribs?

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-12-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Forum Regular

The shims have little to do with pulley/belt alignment, those are for proper s/c clutch engagement.

Is it safe to assume you have verified you are running the belt around the pulleys the right way? Almost sounds like the belt is riding with the flat side against a ribbed pulley.

I haven't heard of a stock crank pulley grenading, but doesn't mean that it's not possible.
I do however, remember reading a thread where the person installed their belt one groove off and it was shredding belts. But to be off 4 times in a row would be unlikely odds.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Buggin mentioned, it sounds like either the belt is not routed correctly or off a rib somewhere. When you install your new belt, start your engine and then shut it off. Check belt alignment on all pulleys to make sure all the ribs are in the grooved pulleys and the flat side of the belt is riding in the middle of the water pump and tensioner pulley.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking the belt is walking off the supercharger pulley grooves at high rpm's. I've used the belt route pic from the belt sticker thread for the srt6. As far as the belt damage goes, it's the ribs closest to the pulley that start shred. It starts to separate like string cheese and than starts to work on the 2nd 'inside' ribs. Make sense? I've tripled check each pulley for placement. Eye ball alignment looks like the SC pulley grooves are out farther than the other pulleys but I feel like I'm witch hunting. The 2nd Gates belt I ran was the OEM for a SLK32 which was 8mm shorter than the SRT6 one. My thought it was loose and walking off the SC pulley and needed more tension. No difference, it shredded sooner.

Like I said Eurocharged has been very accommodating with me. It's at the point where I haven't heard of anyone else having the issue so I'm 2nd guessing my work. Anybody in the Atlanta area wanna be my pulley accountability partner?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...mpartment.html

Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

You said you now have gone back to stock pulley and it is fine.."stock pulley with over 800 shred free miles"
I would do just what you did.( take off that small S C pulley) get my money back from who ever you got it from, .. get a 62mm from Rudy

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...rcharge+pulley

and live happy ever after jim

Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Buggin
The shims have little to do with pulley/belt alignment, those are for proper s/c clutch engagement.

Is it safe to assume you have verified you are running the belt around the pulleys the right way? Almost sounds like the belt is riding with the flat side against a ribbed pulley.

I haven't heard of a stock crank pulley grenading, but doesn't mean that it's not possible.
I do however, remember reading a thread where the person installed their belt one groove off and it was shredding belts. But to be off 4 times in a row would be unlikely odds.
I actually did not say that one had come apart, although I'm sure it has, I said ' like a hand grenade going off under the hood', big difference.

He actually said two times and not four as you said. One belt went at 700 and he has since done 800, not too much difference actually so it is not proven to be the SC pulley in my mind just yet.

The belt should run in the middle of the smooth pulleys as stated by Import.

It should be clear if it is the SC pulley at fault, because if it is then the belt will be sitting with the front two grooves showing, if it is the Crank pulley then the front two grooves of it will be showing. Am I being too simplistic here or what?
I think it is pretty elementary Watson

If the belt is sitting on the SC and crank pulleys in the correct position then where is the pulley not sitting properly or is it all in position but still shredded? Let us know.

AMX1397 is obviously pissed with Euro Charged so his comments should be ignored, no time for bias in an investigation.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my oem crank pulley came apart at less than 30k miles. the elastomer was coming out. caused the belt to jump off. check your crank pulley

Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM

My thought was that maybe the rib on the back belt was in the groove of the SC but tolerances were a little off where the belt was slightly at a bind while in the rear pulley groove. Once it spins at higher RPM, friction increases causing stress and heat on the belt.

The hard thing about the interwebz, is a lot of the time you only hear the negative side of a product. I wanted to see if others have the same issue or if it's just me. I felt like I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this alone. If there's tons of people with the same pulley and they don't have the issue, let's put this very one someone's else's car for deductive reasoning!

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If the belt is sitting on the SC and crank pulleys in the correct position then where is the pulley not sitting properly or is it all in position but still shredded? Let us know.

Last edited by hallfleming; 03-13-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM

I would think it would have a issue with the stock pulley too. Right?

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
my oem crank pulley came apart at less than 30k miles. the elastomer was coming out. caused the belt to jump off. check your crank pulley

Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM

My thought was that maybe the rib on the back belt was in the groove of the SC but tolerances were a little off where the belt was slightly at a bind while in the rear pulley groove. Once it spins at higher RPM, friction increases causing stress and heat on the belt.

The hard thing about the interwebz, is a lot of the time you only hear the negative side of a product. I wanted to see if others have the same issue or if it's just me. I felt like I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this alone. If there's tons of people with the same pulley and they don't have the issue, let's put this very one someone's else's car for deductive reasoning!
I may be a bit thick but can I take it that the belt was in the correct position and was still getting shredded?
You need to say exactly what you mean.

What does this mean for instance?
If there's tons of people with the same pulley and they don't have the issue, let's put this very one someone's else's car for deductive reasoning
To get to the bottom of a problem you need to say exactly what the symptoms are, pictures help as well. Shredded belts have occurred when belts ride off the pulley, shredded belts while still on the pulley would be new to me.

Pulleys have broken up, Woody had one fly off and there are pictures of the damage done when a pulley came of under the hood, I'm not sure what pulley it was though without looking for the post. Responders to questions also have to read the question properly and the OP has to state his problem clearly and not leave it open to the wrong interpretation or we all waste time.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-13-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Yes it's in the correct position.

If I put the pulley on another car and it starts shredding a belt, its the pulley. If not, it's not the pulley.

I may be a bit thick but can I take it that the belt was in the correct position and was still getting shredded?
You need to say exactly what you mean.

What does this mean for instance?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 AM

What if I put the pulley back on and mark the smooth surface with a Sharpie. In theory that would wear off if the belt was sliding out of the grooves. Thoughts?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM

What if I put the pulley back on and mark the smooth surface with a Sharpie. In theory that would wear off if the belt was sliding out of the grooves. Thoughts?
I give up, good luck.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Last month, I installed the new belt-wrap kit on God_Likes_Tebow's SRT-6

while doling so, I observed (and was inclined to compensate for with shims on the adjacent flanged pulley) that his 61mm EUROCHARGED pulley placed the belt a full .085" further forward of the motor than 4 SC pulleys I had on hand to compare it to. The 4 pulleys i compared it to were 3 factory SC pulleys and 1 of Rudy's "Karmen" pulleys (these were all essentially the same in this spec).

Now, I don't know if the deviation I observed (and measured) in this Eurocharged pulley is representive of the spec they are working with .... but it might explain your issue.

Chris

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Thank you! That's great input. Maybe I can measure from the back of the belt while on both pulleys to the supercharger for reference...

Originally Posted by latemodel21

while doling so, I observed (and was inclined to compensate for with shims on the adjacent flanged pulley) that his 61mm EUROCHARGED pulley placed the belt a full .085" further forward of the motor than 4 SC pulleys I had on hand to compare it to. The 4 pulleys i compared it to were 3 factory SC pulleys and 1 of Rudy's "Karmen" pulleys (these were all essentially the same in this spec).

Now, I don't know if the deviation I observed (and measured) in this Eurocharged pulley is representive of the spec they are working with .... but it might explain your issue.

Chris

Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by latemodel21

Chris
This is interesting, the pitch of the ribs on the belt are about .140", so if the ribs are out .085 then the tendency of the belt to want to jump is very strong. At the very least the ribs would get very hot and get destroyed.
It is critical that the back of the pulley bearing and the ribs keep the same dimensional relationship as the OEM pulley.

When copying the OEM pulley this relationship is vital.

Of course adding shims incorrectly will give the same result.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

AMX1397 is obviously pissed with Euro Charged so his comments should be ignored, no time for bias in an investigation.
LOL read it again did i say eroucharged,, that really makes me laugh, how you (people Mouth off) at a subject you know nothing about, (me)
just for you, you alone to know I have a eroucharged pulley on my supercharger on my v8 . I have said before Jerry made good on my parts and neither of us are so called pissed .. btw who is pissed, I think you are you want attention so you just jump in on post you know nothing about that's ok because most ignore most of your post anyway,, Happy Easter to you and family, jim

P.S. I think after this testing you will have your answer. Latemodel21 Last month, I installed the new belt-wrap kit on God_Likes_Tebow's SRT-6

Last edited by amx1397; 03-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

This is interesting, the pitch of the ribs on the belt are about .140", so if the ribs are out .085 then the tendency of the belt to want to jump is very strong. At the very least the ribs would get very hot and get destroyed.
It is critical that the back of the pulley bearing and the ribs keep the same dimensional relationship as the OEM pulley.

When copying the OEM pulley this relationship is vital.

Of course adding shims incorrectly will give the same result.
Agreed. I have not seen enough different Eurocharged SC pulleys to make a blanket assessment of this product line they offer AND having had great experiences with Eurocharged on other services, I hesitate to speculate. However, this particular eurocharged pulley (on God_Likes_Tebow's SRT-6) was not impressive. It did seem to be engaging (and dis-engaging) sufficiently ... but at the same time had a wobble to the pressure plate. While the engagement suggests the pulley was properly shimmed (for its current condition when I observed it), it did lead me to wonder what the original shim stack might have been intended to be (based on the manufacturer's curioous Pressure Plate spring selection).
But, the shim stack in this case did not seem to account for the .085" deviation on this pulley, so shimming would not seem to be sole culprit.
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 03-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
LOL read it again did i say eroucharged,, that really makes me laugh, how you (people Mouth off) at a subject you know nothing about, (me)
just for you, you alone to know I have a eroucharged pulley on my supercharger on my v8 . I have said before Jerry made good on my parts and neither of us are so called pissed .. btw who is pissed, I think you are you want attention so you just jump in on post you know nothing about that's ok because most ignore most of your post anyway,, Happy Easter to you and family, jim
Whoa there sunshine when you want to cross swords with me you had better do your home work and sharpen the sword.
First of this thread is about the EC pulley, you cannot miss it. The title mentions it and the very first line in the post mentions it, so you tell the OP to send it back to your so called buddy and buy from your new buddy. Hmm?
Back in December you made the following comment about Jerry at EuroCharged.

.....................ps I ran the car for well over a week with 327 in the car, on the street it seemed to work pretty good, I only had one problem and that was between second and third, I had little transmission slip, when I called Jerry at euro charge,for the second time,, he told me that he was tired of holding people's hand and told me that he had told me how to fix it and being that I didn't do that, for me to send it back to him,, ( I had taken the car over to Nemo's and we followed jerry's instructions, and it still didn't work) so guess what I sent it back.
now I'm getting the TCM done correctly. the first thing I was ask by this person, WHAT GEAR DO YOU WANT THE TCM SET FOR,, my answer was I only have a 3.27 gear set.. Woody I think you got a good idea but is no longer necessary to do all that work, all you need is a TCU from an SRT 6 it can be reset whatever gear you want, if you have a limited, all you need is a TCU from a limited, and it can be reset whatever gear you want,you are

You do not sound too friendly in that post to me. In fact you even name the person, that's really getting nasty.

If you think I know nothing about the pulley design you are simply wrong. Saying I jump in here when I know nothing about it, well, I can pull these after market pulleys to pieces at the design level. I have seen you say some silly things on here and if you like I'll go back and dig them out, my memory is pretty good. I can also dig up a nice old photo.
Let me know if I should start digging for some of your old quotes to post here. I dug up the one above easily as it was still fresh in my mind, I should be able to find more in a short time. I can use search quite well.

I may be an old fart like you and you may be quicker in a straight line, but behind the keyboard I'm a 9 second man.

Quick Reply: 4 Eurocharged pulleys later and I'm still shredding belts. Help?