Other Vehicles The place to talk about watercraft, boats, trains, planes and anything with an engine that isn't a car.

Moving up in the world!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving up in the world!

I finally graduated college and got my dream job!! Thanks to scholarships and holding a pretty decent full time job through school I have no college loans to pay back!! I'm considering buying a new set of wheels to fill the other potion of my garage. My price range is between 40- 65k. I do not want to buy new with the sports car market crashing like it is I'm pretty content on buying a used car with low miles. I have done a lot of studying and configuring of a new porsche cayman s and have looked at a few used R's but as I was looking on auto trader I stumbled upon the GTR! My love for german cars kinda hid it from sight. I'm going to really start looking into them this week. Another car I stumbled across after bumping my price range up a bit was the audi r8 not a new one or even a v10 but the v8. I couldn't afford one this year but if I saved I could feel comfortable buying one next fall. What are your guys takes on the available cars in this price range? The price on used ferrari 360 spyder/coups is falling hard but to maintain a ferrari is ridiculous! It would be amazing to have one in the garage tho!! I want to take a gander at the 2012 lotus lineup as well but I dislike the lack of power in the lotus department.
Sorry for the rambling but cars excite me! I read road and track mags till the pages fell out when I was in grade school and I never thought that one day I would be able to own and drive a car on the spec list!! Oh and have any of you followed up on the new aston martin lineup? If not every crossfire owner needs to check out the One-77 a v12 monster that shares similar takes and lines of the crossfire!
[/img]

Last edited by jmk41; 12-05-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Moving up in the world!

If I was in your "predicament" at the moment, it would be a short-lived one.

Robitussin happens to be bright red, cures many ailments.

This car would be no different:

2006 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG - Mars Red - 27,000 miles - MBWorld.org Forums

Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Forum Regular

OMG!! Dropping jaw......... I mean jaw dropping! I love mercedes i really do but what kills me is you cant get them in true manual with the third pedal! A little studying on the GTR confirmed that it to is only available in paddle shift. I will be test driving a GTR an possibly an sl 55 now. lol I have to have black tho. Beautiful car tho sure would look good in your drive way....

Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jerrid, all the cars you posted are fantastic, without a doubt. I'd love to own anyone of them. But I would never want to pay the upkeep on any of them.
My suggestion?

Dodge : Viper Dodge : Viper | eBay

But since it's already sold, you can have mine.
It only has 15k miles.
And I deliver.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GT-R is an amazing car. Used, you can find them in the mid 50's.

But, as a friend, may I suggest one thing: PLEASE get a full history on the car before you buy. Early generations snacked on transaxles like candy. The latest models (2010+) are best but $$$

2012 is the sickest one yet but it's over $100K when it's all said and done at the dealer.

And, as Mike said, maintenance isn't kind on the GT-R.

If you must have a manual, must have exotic speed, and must have a German marque... I'm shocked you didn't list a 911 Turbo. Best of all worlds. Careful with the snap oversteer, though...

Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jerrid, you GO man! Congrats on the job.

Not to be a wet blanket, but... with the job market and economy the way it is, I wouldn't spend a big chunk of change on a car right now. Sock some money away and enjoy the shopping process. Put it off until you get the shakes.

And, by the way, if you get a GT-R, I will officially hate you. (just kidding)

AND... I just realized that I _still_ have your Eurocharged cable. Could you PM me your address so I can send it back. AND... THANKS for the loan! I really appreciate it.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular

Will pm you Tom!! Thanks for the input from all of you. I don't care much for most porsches something about the cayman just works for me! Maybe over the next couple of months a 911 turbo will grow on me. I started thinking about mid engines as well. I have always done all the work on every car or truck I've owned none of which had a mid engine. As for the job market I'm not at all concerned the company I work for is out of canada an performs moderation services for websites so as long as the internet is alive I'll have a job. The best part is I got to keep my old job! Double incomes is kick *** I have no time to spend any money!
@mike I love vipers but any one who spends enough time behind the wheel of one wrecks one lol. I want something that is safe to drive "stupid". I hate traction control but I bet it has saved every single one of us at some point or another. If you sold yours to me I'd be deathly afraid to drive it incase you would ever want to buy it back lol.

I will be doing a lot of home work for the next few months thats for sure. Plus id like to be able to put 20k down on what ever it is I buy so it will take a few months to get the rest. Im so glad my parents talked me out of a big house! The garage is almost bigger but I spend most of my time at home there anyway. Even with the housing market so bad it took me 7 months to find a place I liked and was comfortable buying!

Cheers to all of you and keep the input flowing! Thanks all!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: Moving up in the world!

Just buy another Crossie!

If the SRT doesn't have enough performance, put in a V8!

The cars are almost fully depreciated anyway!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular

I would love a srt6 with a 6spd or a $20k 7spd auto with paddle shift.... lol A manual gives you so much more control a LSD from the factory would be very nice as well. I have often thought and still wonder what the 12 cyclinder twin turbo sl/cl600 amg motor would do for a crossfire. 604 HP 738 torque thats a ******* beast I read online they use the same motor in city busses! I wonder if it would even fit?