Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

Old 05-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

Hey there,

I have previously posted on this forum a while ago but can't seem to find my post so I will just start again and explain from the start!

I starting having issues with my Crossfire a few months ago when all of a sudden a bunch on warning lights would come on. The warning light that come on was the BAS/ESP, the parking brake light and the ABS light. I also noticed that on the spoiler symbol that the light was flashing when these other lights came on, and when these warning light came on the car would seem to be stuck in 1st/2nd gear. I also noticed that the MPH gauge wouldn't move and would stay at 0 MPH!

I took it to my local garage that are our good family friends had used for a very long time and thought could definitely be trusted as have used them for a long time. Unfortunately now I am not so sure, as I had the car there over 2 months and pretty much got completely no where! Its been such a nightmare that I can't express, it was there this long because they supposedly said it was the ECU. They then arranged for the ECU to be repaired but then the person who they send the car too which was supposed to do the programming for the ECU couldn't seem to do it at all! This went on and on and then as I mentioned 2 and half months passed and I got to the point where I had absolutely enough of it all as they clearly weren't going to get it sorted. The good news is they didn't charge me anything in the end but frankly as they were useless I think that was the least they could do especially as I now wonder what they actually did.....if anything.

Anyway I then made the decision to take it to Chrysler, I am not going to lie I really didn't want to take it there as this garage kept telling me how they would charge me a fortune just to look at it and I would end up with massive bill etc and well you do hear these stories about the main dealer!
But in the end I had no choice so I got it recovered to Chrysler in Cardiff and I explained everything to them. The first thing they said is that they did not think the programming had anything to do with it as it just wouldn't go at all if that was the case.
I must admit that when I got the car briefly back before taking it to Chrysler I found it very suspicious that the EXACT same warning lights and problems were still happening, even thou this local garage "supposedly had fixed the ECU and just needed to get someone to do the programming".

Anyway the guy at Chrysler suggested that I needed it to be put on the diagnostic machine, so I went ahead and had them do that and they got back to me saying that it had come up lots of error codes but they weren't sure yet what could be the issue (said could be lots of things). They said the next step was for them to check all the wiring and they have this big procedure they do when they do this (like big list of things they check) but that this would take 3 hours (which therefore would cost me a good few hundred quid) so at my dismay I am already going to be to nearly 500 quid after them checking the wiring and doing the diagnostics....without actually properly finding out what the problem even is!

So yeah in all honesty I have never felt so depressed and worried and to make things worse the car I had been using (my mum's) has gone completely packed in (yes not having much luck) so I am literally completely stuck as of today and hugely terrified/worried on what to do with my Crossfire!
I am just really worried that when they call me on Tuesday after checking all the wiring that they are going to say "couldn't find out the issue but we need to waste another few hundred quid doing some other crap next". I simply can't spend out a fortune to find out nothing....and even if I did how far can I keep going before my bill becomes like a new car price?

That is where I am.....very worried/clueless on what to do and worst is I haven't even had this car a year! I worked so hard to save up for so long to get it and now its just a complete nightmare!! Part of me thinks should maybe just sell it before I end up running up a huge bill with Chrysler and potential not even finding out what is wrong with the car....but I really don't want to loose the car as its always been my dream of owing one! And at same time.....I don't know if I could get much for it when its got this issues (as obviously can't afford to give it away).

So to conclude that is where I am......I really don't know what to do at all Any help or suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated!! I am based near Cardiff, South Wales (UK) and I know this is a random thought/long shot but if anyone would be able to help or if anything could be arranged I would consider help personally from anyone within the UK. Like I said I really am stuck so if anyone on this forum would give there time and would know how to work/fix this issue then I would even consider bringing the car to you or vis-versa, if you could help!

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 05-26-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

Originally Posted by jtaylortech3
Hey there,

I have previously posted on this forum a while ago but can't seem to find my post so I will just start again and explain from the start!
I starting having issues with my Crossfire a few months ago when all of a sudden a bunch on warning lights would come on. The warning light that come on was the BAS/ESP, the parking brake light and the ABS light. I also noticed that on the spoiler symbol that the light was flashing when these other lights came on, and when these warning light came on the car would seem to be stuck in 1st/2nd gear in what I guess is called Limp mode. I also noticed that the MPH gauge wouldn't move and would stay at 0 MPH!

I took it to my local garage that are our good family friends had used for a very long time and thought could definitely be trusted as have used them for a long time. Unfortunately now I am not so sure, as I had the car there over 2 months and pretty much got completely no where! Its been such a nightmare that I can't express, it was there this long because they supposedly said it was the ECU. They then arranged for the ECU to be repaired but then the person who they send the car too which was supposed to do the programming for the ECU couldn't seem to do it at all! This went on and on and then as I mentioned 2 and half months passed and I got to the point where I had absolutely enough of it all as they clearly weren't going to get it sorted. The good news is they didn't charge me anything in the end but frankly as they were useless I think that was the least they could do especially as I now wonder what they actually did.....if anything.

Anyway I then made the decision to take it to Chrysler, I am not going to lie I really didn't want to take it there as this garage kept telling me how they would charge me a fortune just to look at it and I would end up with massive bill etc and well you do hear these stories about the main dealer!
But in the end I had no choice so I got it recovered to Chrysler in Cardiff and I explained everything to them. The first thing they said is that they did not think the programming had anything to do with it as it just wouldn't go at all if that was the case.
I must admit that when I got the car briefly back before taking it to Chrysler I found it very suspicious that the EXACT same warning lights and problems were still happening, even thou this local garage "supposedly had fixed the ECU and just needed to get someone to do the programming".

The guy at Chrysler suggested that I needed it to be put on the diagnostic machine, so I went ahead and had them do that and they got back to me saying that it had come up lots of error codes but they weren't sure yet what could be the issue (said could be lots of things). They said the next step was for them to check all the wiring and they have this big procedure they do when they do this (like big list of things they check) but that this would take 3 hours (which therefore would cost me a good few hundred quid) so at my dismay I am already going to be to nearly 500 quid after them checking the wiring and doing the diagnostics....without actually properly finding out what the problem even is!

So yeah in all honesty I have never felt so depressed and worried and to make things worse the car I had been using (my mum's) has gone completely packed in (yes not having much luck) so I am literally completely stuck as of today and hugely terrified/worried on what to do with my Crossfire!
I am just really worried that when they call me on Tuesday after checking all the wiring that they are going to say "couldn't find out the issue but we need to waste another few hundred quid doing some other crap next". I simply can't spend out a fortune to find out nothing....and even if I did how far can I keep going before my bill becomes like a new car price?

That is where I am.....very worried/clueless on what to do and worst is I haven't even had this car a year! I worked so hard to save up for so long to get it and now its just a complete nightmare!! Part of me thinks should maybe just sell it before I end up running up a huge bill with Chrysler and potential not even finding out what is wrong with the car....but I really don't want to loose the car as its always been my dream of owing one! And at same time.....I don't know if I could get much for it when its got this issues (as obviously can't afford to give it away).
So to conclude that is where I am......I really don't know what to do at all Any help or suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated!! I am based near Cardiff, South Wales (UK) and I know this is a random thought/long shot but if anyone would be able to help or if anything could be arranged I would consider help personally from anyone within the UK. Like I said I really am stuck so if anyone on this forum would give there time and would know how to work/fix this issue then I would even consider bringing the car to you or vis-versa, if you could help!

Thanks,

Justin
Sad tale for sure. Get the error codes and report back here with them. Without them anything would be a guess. I'm guessing TCM problems for what that's worth. Do you have water under the passenger side mat and kick panel?

Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Default Re: Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!

Hey Onehundred80,

Thanks for your reply and yeah it certaintly is a sad tale :/ really at end of my tether to be honest! Garage is closed tomorrow as is bank holiday but will speak to them Tuesday and ask exactly what the error codes were, he said there were quite a few but I will let you know. I haven't noticed any water to be honest.

Justin

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 05-26-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

I sincerely wish you the best outcome here.
I can understand your frustration but hopefully the problem will be identified soon.
Keep us informed of the outcome here ....I personally will be watching and keeping my hopes up for you.

Gary

Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Hey VALK,

Thanks for your kind comments, yeah I really hope so as well. Won't have any hair left at this rate!

Btw onehundred80, I mentioned your comments to my other half and they made a good point that I had forgot. A few months ago before I started having all these problems, that we did notice that there looked a bit like there was water underneath the glovebox. Is this what your referring too?

Justin

Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Hey VALK,

Thanks for your kind comments, yeah I really hope so as well. Won't have any hair left at this rate!

Btw onehundred80, I mentioned your comments to my other half and they made a good point that I had forgot. A few months ago before I started having all these problems, that we did notice that there looked a bit like there was water underneath the glovebox.
Is this what your referring too?

Justin
I presume he is but I'll let him respond.
I have read where water gets in places it shouldn't and then all hell happens to our cars.
It is also known for water to get in the rear hatch or trunk and damage components back there as well.
Water might be the cause of all these problems.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM
pct

Thanks for the PM Justin, and i'm really hoping you get this sorted, as others have said have a really good look for water ingress, pull out the mats and also maybe dig down under the insulation in the boot too, and try to get the error codes frrom the garage and post them up on here.

Unfortunately there are good and bad main dealers out there just like any other garage, but its the knowledge and experience of the guys doing the work that matters rather than the size of big illuminated Chrysler sign outside, but having said that with the training they are supposed to have and the equipment they have at their fingertips you should expect a main dealer to be able to bottom it out for you, especially at the prices they charge!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Hey VALK,

Btw onehundred80, I mentioned your comments to my other half and they made a good point that I had forgot. A few months ago before I started having all these problems, that we did notice that there looked a bit like there was water underneath the glovebox. Is this what your referring too?

Justin
That's the spot I'm talking about. The drain below the cowl gets plugged and water enters the inlet for the air behind the AC/heating fan. The water runs down into the passenger side foot well and soaks the TCM (transmission control module) and causes problems.
This is a LH drive car but the drains are similar.

Here's a photo of the drains, they are accessible when the cowl is remo
ved. The drain is under the leaves at the top of the photo. The air inlet is just above the leaves, in the flat area under the windshield.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-26-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM

Thanks Pct, good to hear from you and yeah I really hope so but not so sure way its going! Hopefully good ending thou, yeah you would think so with the Dealer but just worried I am going to have to pay out stupid money before then even tell me whats wrong. Which in that case, dunno if it would be worth it, if it ends up like a new car cost. Yeah I will let you all know the error codes tomorrow and see if that helps at all.

Justin

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 05-28-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Hey everyone,

Spoke to Chrysler today and got all the information/update and codes you guys asked me for.
He said there are a bunch of codes that come up which are - P0720, P0410, P1600 AND P0600. He said that are few other thing that came up but as they aren't engine codes, they just have descriptions and not codes (hopefully that makes sense to you). The other descriptors coming up are left wheel front sensor circuit, right wheel front sensor circuit, steering angle sensor and CAB internal failure. He said that they have tried clearing the codes and all of them but 1 have gone away but this 1 that is left just won't go and keeps coming up. That one is the CAB internal failure.

He said that they think that it is the ABS control unit and costs 750 (more with vat on top) so going to cost quite a bit, especially as already have bill of good few hundred to have these early checks done :/ and diagnostics

But this is what concerns me the most.....IF they could tell me for certain that once I replaced this ABS control unit that this would fix the issue and the car would be good again then I would probably do it. But when I ask them about this definitely fixing the problem, the guy just kinda said well not certain but thats what we think it is (hardly builds me with confidence)....tbh the guy at chrysler is well not exactly a confidence builder/people person.

Thing that gets me thou is that this local garage that originally had the car had supposedly "fixed this abs unit but needed to do the programming". I asked Chrysler if they were sure that this part didn't just need programming but he didn't really say much and just said "as I have told you before its not the programming"

So yeah really not sure what to think or do....what would your guys advice be and do you think it would definitely be this ABS control unit? What would you do if in my position?

Thanks for all your help, especially now as it will be HUGELY appreciated!
Justin

Old 05-28-2013, 05:51 PM

Hey everyone,

Spoke to Chrysler today and got all the information/update and codes you guys asked me for.
He said there are a bunch of codes that come up which are - P0720, P0410, P1600 AND P0600. He said that are few other thing that came up but as they aren't engine codes, they just have descriptions and not codes (hopefully that makes sense to you). The other descriptors coming up are left wheel front sensor circuit, right wheel front sensor circuit, steering angle sensor and CAB internal failure. He said that they have tried clearing the codes and all of them but 1 have gone away but this 1 that is left just won't go and keeps coming up. That one is the CAB internal failure.

He said that they think that it is the ABS control unit and costs 750 (more with vat on top) so going to cost quite a bit, especially as already have bill of good few hundred to have these early checks done :/ and diagnostics

But this is what concerns me the most.....IF they could tell me for certain that once I replaced this ABS control unit that this would fix the issue and the car would be good again then I would probably do it. But when I ask them about this definitely fixing the problem, the guy just kinda said well not certain but thats what we think it is (hardly builds me with confidence)....tbh the guy at chrysler is well not exactly a confidence builder/people person.

Thing that gets me thou is that this local garage that originally had the car had supposedly "fixed this abs unit but needed to do the programming". I asked Chrysler if they were sure that this part didn't just need programming but he didn't really say much and just said "as I have told you before its not the programming"

So yeah really not sure what to think or do....what would your guys advice be and do you think it would definitely be this ABS control unit? What would you do if in my position?

Thanks for all your help, especially now as it will be HUGELY appreciated!
Justin
There are places that rebuild these ABS controls, and that has got to be cheaper than buying new. Also they are available from wrecked cars, they are plug and play.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There are places that rebuild these ABS controls, and that has got to be cheaper than buying new. Also they are available from wrecked cars, they are plug and play.
Thanks for reply,

But that wouldn't work thou would it, cause doesn't it still need to be programmed?
Also was hoping for bit more input on everything, especially does this "CAB internal failure" mean that it is most likely this abs control module that Chrysler have said?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM

Thanks for reply,

But that wouldn't work thou would it, cause doesn't it still need to be programmed?
Also was hoping for bit more input on everything, especially does this "CAB internal failure" mean that it is most likely this abs control module that Chrysler have said?
They are plug and play, no programing required for this part.
Your dealer said it is not the programing he was right but as usual misleading.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Really, are you certain on that as thought it had to be programmed to the VIN number? I know that was definitely the case on my friends car, that's not a crossfire thou. Sorry to be pain asking but I have been hugely made to believe that it needed programming and as I mentioned in my first post the local garage that had the car for a very long time (to say the least), "supposedly fixed this abs control module" and they then spend forever trying to have someone programme that part! So if that was all rubbish....well not even words for that!

But hope your right as this could make life a lot easier and if I could just buy one from wrecked car/savage yard (which would save a hell of a lot on the part I am guessing) and fit it easy then that would probably be better option than paying around 900quid to chrysler for the new part.

When you say plug and play is it simply to install it then? keep in mind I know very little about cars, wish I knew more but not going to lie!

Last edited by jtaylortech3; 05-28-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:31 AM

My '04 is having the same issues. I can turn the car off and back on a few minutes later, and everything is fine.

I replaced the brake pedal switch a couple months ago because it wouldn't shift out of park, and noticed water on the wires by the drivers kick panel. I will check the cowl drains, because I noticed the issue every time I wash the car. The trouble lights come on (abs, bas/esp, parking brake, low brake pad indicator, and the last time CEL), wing goes up, sometimes the auto stays in 2nd.

Battery is 2.5 years old and turns the engine over quickly. I've done extensive searching on this website and noticed that the majority of posters never return to tell us what fixed their problem.

I'm about to trade it in for an old, reliable beater. It is embarassing when all the lights come on, and I have to tell the girl beside me something is wrong, and we can't go past 60 km/h without revving to the moon. It only has 40,000 kms.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:32 AM

I found something that may be related. I'm guessing if water or tranny fluid gets in the tcm... All hell breaks loose?

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/4...crossfire.html

Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Really, are you certain on that as thought it had to be programmed to the VIN number? I know that was definitely the case on my friends car, that's not a crossfire thou. Sorry to be pain asking but I have been hugely made to believe that it needed programming and as I mentioned in my first post the local garage that had the car for a very long time (to say the least), "supposedly fixed this abs control module" and they then spend forever trying to have someone programme that part! So if that was all rubbish....well not even words for that!

But hope your right as this could make life a lot easier and if I could just buy one from wrecked car/savage yard (which would save a hell of a lot on the part I am guessing) and fit it easy then that would probably be better option than paying around 900quid to chrysler for the new part.

When you say plug and play is it simply to install it then? keep in mind I know very little about cars, wish I knew more but not going to lie!
Here is the ABS module replacement procedure from the service manual : see anything about programming ????
( personally, I would first remove and inspect the ABS connection harness, then re-seat it. Sounds like connection problems to me )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (103.9 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by ala_xfire; 06-02-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jesticle
I found something that may be related. I'm guessing if water or tranny fluid gets in the tcm... All hell breaks loose?

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/4...crossfire.html
You would be 100% correct. I was just going to answer your question. Look for water coming through the heater air inlet because of a plugged drain. Look for water under the passenger foot well around the amplifier and TCM.
You can see the drain in this PDF.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-02-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 AM

Thanks, 180... I'll pull the carpet up and have a look tomorrow afternoon.

I did connect my obd II reader to the Crossfire, and it only showed one code: P0600

Started the car and drove it up the street, first the low brake pad light came on, then all the other lights and the wing came up, with the switch blinking. It's a bit different each time.

I'll do a site search and see if there's a common fix. Everytime I find a good, similar thread, it ends with someone else saying "Did you ever find a solution to the problem?".

Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM

No sign of water or corrosion on, or around, the TCM. I did do the RCM repair, while checking for loose connections all over the vehicle. The solder points were ready to fail at any time, so I re-soldered, and now they should be good for awhile.

I cleaned as many grounds as I could, and also cleaned the battery terminals. The battery shows 12.85 volts across the terminals. The brake pedal switch was recently replaced.

I'm tempted to pull the wheels and clean the wheel sensors and connections. All that brake dust must affect the readings a little bit. Also need to check the low brake pad warning switch(es).

If my problem persists, I'll call around and see which Chrysler dealer has the necessary equipment to read all the codes, and go from there.

Quick Reply: Mechanical/Transmission Poss Issues/NIGHTMARE time trying to find issue! HELP!