Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

coverting base to power seats

Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coverting base to power seats

hello there is a fellow forum member with seats for sale and they are power i have manual base seats butt want to upgrade for my bum sake what would be needed and how to would be amazing for a response thanks guys

Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: coverting base to power seats

I have the limited all black seats, but the wires are cut. When I cut them I left enough room to splice a new harness in. They also don't have the seatbelt latch. They're in extremely good condition but because of the wires and latch I'd let them go for $150 + shipping. No clue how much shipping would be since they're so heavy and akwardly shaped.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by crossmember
hello there is a fellow forum member with seats for sale and they are power i have manual base seats butt want to upgrade for my bum sake what would be needed and how to would be amazing for a response thanks guys
Coverting? You do not have to be secretive around here.

Look in the Service manual and you will see the wiring required, then look at your car and see what's missing.
Click on the red in my sig and you'll see the manual, it's in the documentation collection at the top of the list.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-22-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM

ok because i didnt know maybe i could hot wire a few wires like battery ground with a fuse and switch or something just to get it to work because same base but some wiring my seats dont have.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Done carefully, you can supply fused +12v and ground to the seat harnesses with adequately sized wires and they will work fine.
Since the factory wiring uses a 30 amp fuse for each seat, I would recommend using the same.

Here is the connector for the passenger seat ( driver seat is the same ) : ( I think the '14' is the wire gauge )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (21.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:00 PM

ok cool so the connecter has only two connections inside the plug so that means only two wires so that means power and ground so 14gauge to where should i hook it the battery,fuse panel,power source under the hood by the battery "little black box" and its the stock brackets for all seats correct ?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Brackets are the same, as far as I know.
I believe there is a B+ terminal you can use in the under hood accessory fuse box at the rear, I read that on here somewhere.
I believe it is splice block 100, the terminal closest to the engine, but meter it to be sure.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I read a post that said that the leather seats are more comfortable than the base cloth seats. Is this accurate? I am having comfort issues and looking for advice for better comfort. The small of my back is not supported. There also seems to be a gap of no support where the setback and seat base meet. Use a seat back cushion? OEM leather seats? Would be nice for the electric adjustments but the comfort issue is the top of the list. Any suggestions? Ebay has some leather seats available but a little scary when you can't see them (condition) in person. Thanks!!!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Never tried a base seat but after all my mods to a limited seat and the bulkhead just drove the XF 340 miles today and feel fine. Guess how far I tilt the seat back eliminates the need for extra lumbar support. Also recorded 27 mpg with ac on which was a surprise.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BisB
Hey guys, I read a post that said that the leather seats are more comfortable than the base cloth seats. Is this accurate? I am having comfort issues and looking for advice for better comfort. The small of my back is not supported. There also seems to be a gap of no support where the setback and seat base meet. Use a seat back cushion? OEM leather seats? Would be nice for the electric adjustments but the comfort issue is the top of the list. Any suggestions? Ebay has some leather seats available but a little scary when you can't see them (condition) in person. Thanks!!!
I've heard that the Base seats are more comfortable, the cloth has more padding they say.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:21 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by BisB

It took me a couple years to find the "sweet spot" in the seat adjustment. I finally found that with the seat moved forward a little more than I normally would move it, then recline the back to just before it hits the rear bulkhead. This changed my comfort zone tenfold. It may not work for you but once I found it, it was my cure.

edit- Its does make it a little harder to get in/out but I try not to move my seat from this sweet spot.

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 03-22-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:47 AM

Rudy was correct, you may have to run power for electric seats on a base coupe if no power wires available. It appears that my base coupe does not have the 2 power wires for seat control. What I have is 4 wires in the base coupe, also present in the wire connector that came with the electric seats, assuming these wires are for seat belt/airbag. I did not want to chance reconnecting the battery to test the existing leather seat for power in fear of an air bag light and also because the other side of the connector (for electric seats) was not present in the base connector. Also, the space for the power seat relay that every picture posted on the forum had a connector (in my base coupe) with wires in that space and I could not locate anywhere that would accept the pins of the seat relay. Based on past postings, it seems the wiring was all over the place from year to year with regards to connecting the power seat relay. Any suggestions as to exactly how to run power to electric seats? And for that matter, I used a battery charger to move seats. Is a power seat relay necessary if power/neutral is run and fused at the fuse box? Then I would assume that maybe the seats would work anytime the car is running, doors opened or closed- no cracking sodder joints. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attached Images
photo2.jpg (163.6 KB, 18 views)
IMG_2208 copyc.jpg (238.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 04-04-2015, 09:05 AM

I do not see why it would not be safe to run a fused wire for the power seats without a relay, as long as the fuse is at the power source, not at the end point.
I'd run a separate 30 amp fused wire for each seat to be safe. Use copper 12-14 gauge wire.
You can find switched and unswitched 12v in the under hood fuse box by removing both covers. It's the metal strips at the rear of the box.

Here is a picture that shows the very outside terminal. There are 4 of them, the two to the center are hot all the time, the 2 outside ones are switched :

Last edited by ala_xfire; 04-04-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Sounds reasonable to have 12v power for seats. I gave up on the relay installation and decided to pursue 12v raw power (fused and switched) power for power seat controls. (not gonna install seat warmers) Rudy believes that a relay is needed so since he is the doctor, I'll let him decide. I installed the leather seats and was intuitive enough to ask the seller for the connectors that supplied power lines to the electric seats. I dissected the connector and added the positive/neutral plug to each seat connector and installed the seats in the base coupe. When I got to the passenger seat, the cloth seat had a feature for the seat belt that connected to the seat. I looked at the leather seat and found the same colored wires leading into the base connector so I thought that the airbag light and seat belt light should be fine. I of course disconnected the battery prior to all of this and wouldn't you know, the dang airbag light is on. I don't know if the airbag system is sensing a foreign seat to the existing wiring of the base or maybe it is a fluke that the airbag light is illuminated. I'll have to have Chrysler reset the airbag light. If they hit a snag and can't reset, I'll come clean and tell them I changed seats. Lucky lucky to those CF owners who have had success changing cloth to leather seats. I have to say that the leather seats have more lower back support (my original goal) than the cloth seats so I removed the lower back support. My wife removed the seat pad and lower back support, so if she is happy, so am I. Now for the airbag light reset. What a project.