Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Huge drain of the battery from the fuse 1 of the RCM

Old 12-11-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge drain of the battery from the fuse 1 of the RCM

Hi !

I have a huge drain issue with my crossfire 05. The battery is dead if I don't use it for about 1-2 days.

Therefore I used a mutlimeter to look at the drain and I removed all the fuses (from the Engine Compartment, the Relay Control Module and the Interior box). I appears that the fuse #1 from the Relay Control Module is draining 500 mA (see pictures below). I have seen that a ~35 mA drain is normal, so only with this fuse my battery is discharging !

I don't know if it has a link but I have an issue with my cruse control which is not working. I have been to a dealer to make a diagnostic and they told me that my front left speed sensor is not working. I then changed this sensor by myself but the cruse control is still not working. As apparently this fuse #1 is for the traction system, can the issue with the cruse control be linked to my crazy drain ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Don't hesitate if you need more information =)

Mathieu

Old 12-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Huge drain of the battery from the fuse 1 of the RCM

Originally Posted by matcail
Hi !

I have a huge drain issue with my crossfire 05. The battery is dead if I don't use it for about 1-2 days.

Therefore I used a mutlimeter to look at the drain and I removed all the fuses (from the Engine Compartment, the Relay Control Module and the Interior box). I appears that the fuse #1 from the Relay Control Module is draining 500 mA (see pictures below). I have seen that a ~35 mA drain is normal, so only with this fuse my battery is discharging !

I don't know if it has a link but I have an issue with my cruse control which is not working. I have been to a dealer to make a diagnostic and they told me that my front left speed sensor is not working. I then changed this sensor by myself but the cruse control is still not working. As apparently this fuse #1 is for the traction system, can the issue with the cruse control be linked to my crazy drain ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Don't hesitate if you need more information =)

Mathieu

Without the gap between the two pictures, I first thought what the heck is the coolant reservoir doing where the battery goes.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Since +12 only goes through F1, then the contacts on the traction system relay, I would have to think that the contacts have become welded in the closed position :

Old 12-11-2016, 07:00 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Yea, and a stuck/welded relay would mean that module is hauling current when it should not!

Old 12-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Huge drain of the battery from the fuse 1 of the RCM

1/2 amp for 2 days would be 12 amp hours, the battery is weak also, BTW. Woody

Old 12-12-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Since +12 only goes through F1, then the contacts on the traction system relay, I would have to think that the contacts have become welded in the closed position :
Thanks for the answer =) it would make sense yes based on the diagram. How could I check and/or fix that ?

Waldig, yes the battery is low as I can't fully charge the battery after it goes dead ! ^^

Thank you guys

Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 AM

You can check it by removing the cover on the RCM and just look at the relay contacts :

RCM relays

Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 PM

You can check it by removing the cover on the RCM and just look at the relay contacts :

RCM relays

So indeed...my relay was blocked by someone before ! (see picture below). You're awesome guys for founding that =)

Removing the papers, the drain was then going down and looks way better (even if I still have some coming from the fuse #9 but I will see that later).

However it then created another issue, since the brake pad warming came on now (see picture). What should I do for that ? Could that be linked to my speed sensor issue with the cruse control ?

Thanks a lot !

Old 12-12-2016, 09:14 PM

So in fact, it's more than one light one on my dashboard (see picture below). The brake lights are not working and the speedometer as well.

I bet that the relay is broken and not closing any more so to keep it closed they used some papers.

Is that hard to buy this kind of relay ?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2016, 10:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When the traction control relay fails or malfunctions you can get a variety of brake warning lights to include the brake wear indicator. You can also get a speedometer that doesn't work and even get a transmission that limps or is stuck in park. If your traction control relay isn't working, it is probably safe to assume that an additional safeguard was built in to disable the cruise control (I'd have to look that up in the service manual schematics to be sure). You can buy a new RCM here:

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RY1562

Another option is to repair your RCM. Individual relays can be replaced. Forum member tighed1 provides an RCM swap/repair service at a nominal cost.

IMHO it is a good idea to always carry an extra RCM (thus the link to a source for new). It is easily the most trouble prone part on a Crossfire, and diagnostic codes don't typically indicate it as the culprit. If you go the repair route, also IMHO, it is best to have all the individual relays replaced (except for the horn which isn't likely to fail due to its infrequent use) because the others may not be far behind the traction control relay (look for pitting/black soot on the contacts). In my case, the traction control relay coil failed, and the engine control, fuel pump, and air pump relays were all failing intermittently.

Last edited by Rob M; 12-12-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

RCM relays
That photo of the RCM is obsolete and has been replaced.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:54 AM

Thanks Dave, I even spent time searching thru your gallery for the new one and couldn't find it.
I have saved it to my PC now.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rob M
When the traction control relay fails or malfunctions you can get a variety of brake warning lights to include the brake wear indicator. You can also get a speedometer that doesn't work and even get a transmission that limps or is stuck in park. If your traction control relay isn't working, it is probably safe to assume that an additional safeguard was built in to disable the cruise control (I'd have to look that up in the service manual schematics to be sure). You can buy a new RCM here:

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS RY1562

Another option is to repair your RCM. Individual relays can be replaced. Forum member tighed1 provides an RCM swap/repair service at a nominal cost.

IMHO it is a good idea to always carry an extra RCM (thus the link to a source for new). It is easily the most trouble prone part on a Crossfire, and diagnostic codes don't typically indicate it as the culprit. If you go the repair route, also IMHO, it is best to have all the individual relays replaced (except for the horn which isn't likely to fail due to its infrequent use) because the others may not be far behind the traction control relay (look for pitting/black soot on the contacts). In my case, the traction control relay coil failed, and the engine control, fuel pump, and air pump relays were all failing intermittently.

Thank you for your help guys =)

Yes you're right, I will buy a new RCM, thanks for the link !