All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Sticky ignition, 1st position

Old 10-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky ignition, 1st position

What happens when I leave the key in the first position? Does the battery go dead?

background: had the ignition replaced (under warranty) d/t sticky, but they must have used a used part or not even really changed it out. Started sticking not long after I got it back
Ignored it. A month ago it was stuck and no matter what I couldn't turn the key.
Tried a few times over the last month…no go
Today it finally turned and started right up. Couldn't help myself, I turned it completely off, and it turned completely on and off like butter. BUT I left it in the #1 position (at least I think where it is in #1)

I know, though, that it couldn't refuse to turn on the next try, and I intend to fix it myself and get rid of the spring. In the meantime, i left it in the #1 position as advised so I don't have to drill/dremmel the pin out

How long can I leave it in #1 position, what is it doing to the car? Do I need to disconnect the battery? Cant work on it right away but on one hand, afraid it will get stuck before I get it fixed! On the other hand, worried about leaving the key in and turned. No radio or dash instruments on right now

Old 10-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Re: Sticky ignition, 1st position

Originally Posted by barngal
What happens when I leave the key in the first position? Does the battery go dead?

background: had the ignition replaced (under warranty) d/t sticky, but they must have used a used part or not even really changed it out. Started sticking not long after I got it back
Ignored it. A month ago it was stuck and no matter what I couldn't turn the key.
Tried a few times over the last month…no go
Today it finally turned and started right up. Couldn't help myself, I turned it completely off, and it turned completely on and off like butter. BUT I left it in the #1 position (at least I think where it is in #1)

I know, though, that it couldn't refuse to turn on the next try, and I intend to fix it myself and get rid of the spring. In the meantime, i left it in the #1 position as advised so I don't have to drill/dremmel the pin out

How long can I leave it in #1 position, what is it doing to the car? Do I need to disconnect the battery? Cant work on it right away but on one hand, afraid it will get stuck before I get it fixed! On the other hand, worried about leaving the key in and turned. No radio or dash instruments on right now
The first position to the right allows me to turn the radio on, that position is called the accessory position so power is going to some things. I would guess that some power is used somewhere. So the battery would drain over time.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

While Dave is right, leaving it in position 1 is not nessesary. The plunger does not slide into it's extended position until you take the key OUT. You can HEAR it move when you do that.

When you turn the key to start the car, the plunger is pulled back in - but again, if you do NOT remove the key, the plunger does NOT extend. Leaving the key in there is all that you need to do to avoid the lockup, IF you have successfully turned the key to on/start and then turned it back.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, that's perfect. Saved my battery and probably a tow, too
And fast replies too.
I love this forum