All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Engine revs pulse

Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Engine revs pulse

Edit : I have rewritten this post to include all of the pertinent information rather than have it spread out through three or four posts.
I have had the car for nearly six years and a Crossfire for twelve years and today I had my first trouble with it.
I accelerated a bit fast onto the highway and the engine stopped responding to the gas pedal but the revs rose and fell every second from 1,000 to 1,200 rpm, needless to say the ride became very jerky. The engine light came on as did the BAS/ESP and ABS
warning lights. I disconnected the battery and reset the throttle this did no good at all. When I looked for DTCs there were none. The lights did not come back on immediately but came on later so the battery disconnect fixed them for a while.
I searched for a cause but could not see anything that looked like my problem.

Engine sat and was restarted a number of times with no change. I let it rest overnight to see if anything changed.

Well, I found a problem, I swapped out the RCM first as you never know your luck, no change there.
So I disconnected the CAI and looked at the throttle body and guess what I found?

Where did it come from, there was a seal remaining on the OEM intake, I checked as I thought it must be missing.
The rubber was trapped under the butterfly, I had to be careful, I did not want pieces of it in the SC, but maybe there is some already in it. After removing the throttle body I gently removed the rubber.

Looking down stream I found the culprit, the air filter had disintegrated.

Some pieces of the rubber had gone missing in action, but I found some inside the filter and some was found stuck to the clamp slots for the screw clamp. I guess the inter cooler should be inspected for bits of rubber. Anything going through the SC like rubber would be ground to small pieces I am thinking. The Green filter was put in while I cleaned and oiled the K&N one, guess I forgot to replace it as intended.
Edit
The Green filter must not be oiled, I had oiled it when I put it in. A few years later I found the instructions for the Greeen filter and they said no oil is to be used on it. So it was the oil that wrecked it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine revs pulse

Well 180 first thought that comes to mind is low fuel pressure.

Last edited by Kingdav1954; 09-25-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking some things you have to write off as a glitch.. Wife's car exhibited throttle position sensor syndrome.. Passed a vehicle on our rural path and next thing it "seemed" it was taking more pedal than normal to maintain speed.. At the stop sign to the highway .. acceleration was almost non existent. Limped it the half mile into town.. pulled in to station parking lot.. turned off.. turned back on.. and haven't had an issue since and that was about a year ago.

So basically.. see if it will do it again.. LOL

Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I'm thinking some things you have to write off as a glitch.. Wife's car exhibited throttle position sensor syndrome.. Passed a vehicle on our rural path and next thing it "seemed" it was taking more pedal than normal to maintain speed.. At the stop sign to the highway .. acceleration was almost non existent. Limped it the half mile into town.. pulled in to station parking lot.. turned off.. turned back on.. and haven't had an issue since and that was about a year ago.

So basically.. see if it will do it again.. LOL
Engine sat and was restarted a number of times with no change. I'll let it rest overnight and see what is up tomorrow.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

EGR valve ?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Sometimes it's not even the car at fault. For the last year or so, I thought that I maybe had a bad throttle body or gas pedal : sometimes the car just wouldn't respond after coming to a halt, then accelerating. I finally realized that the stupid operator still had his foot on the brake pedal while telling the car to go, our electronics are smarter than us and prevent this

Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Sometimes it's not even the car at fault. For the last year or so, I thought that I maybe had a bad throttle body or gas pedal : sometimes the car just wouldn't respond after coming to a halt, then accelerating. I finally realized that the stupid operator still had his foot on the brake pedal while telling the car to go, our electronics are smarter than us and prevent this
I was accelerating when it happened, suddenly no gas pedal response and the car started lunging. I came home with it lunging, fortunately not far to go and half of it was downhill so I did a lot of it in neutral.
It sits there just revving up and down, with the engine is rocking back and forth.
Absolutely no throttle response at all, I have to look for a failed vacuum line maybe, sensors ????
The question is why suddenly like that? BAS/ESP light and ABS lights came on at once as did the engine light and they all went out after disconnecting the battery and a throttle reset.
It is a good job I was close to home, so I have that to be thankful for, a mile or so more and it would have came home on a truck.
My Innova said No Faults, so now I try my Multi-Gage and my BlueDriver on my iPad. I have another one but I cannot find the dongle.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-26-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Maybe dirty contacts for the Throttle Position Sensor in the throttle body ?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

When you figure it out, please share. To me it sounds like vacume somewhere.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
When you figure it out, please share. To me it sounds like vacume somewhere.
Well, I have found a problem, I swapped out the RCM first as you never know your luck, no change there.
So I disconnected the CAI and looked at the throttle body and guess what I found?

Where did it come from, there is one already on the OEM intake, I checked as I thought it must be missing.
It is trapped under the butterfly, I'll have to be careful, I do not want pieces of it in the SC, but maybe there is some already in it.
Looking down stream I found the culprit, the air filter had disintegrated.

Some pieces of the rubber has gone missing in action. I guess the inter cooler has to be inspected for bits of rubber. Anything going through the SC like rubber would be ground to small pieces I am thinking. The Green filter was put in while I cleaned and oiled the K&N one, guess I forgot.
The moral here is to inspect that filter, the oil may help it disintegrate but maybe it is just age that does it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0669.JPG (1.76 MB, 66 views)
DSC_0671.JPG (1.73 MB, 66 views)
DSC_0674.JPG (1.83 MB, 65 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-26-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Well, I came close to the problem anyway.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Well, I came close to the problem anyway.
The post #10 has been updated.
Where do I go from here? Look into the intake manifolds for signs of ground up rubber, look at the inter-cooler and see if it has rubber against the heat exchanger, I think anything like soft rubber would not damage the SC and get ground up and pass on through it. Best option with the least work is to forget it and carry on and put it back together.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-26-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:47 PM

From your pictures, I don't see very much rubber missing.
I'd replace the gasket and drive on, but that's just me, I could be wrong and that might turn out to be expensive.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:13 PM

From your pictures, I don't see very much rubber missing.
I'd replace the gasket and drive on, but that's just me, I could be wrong and that might turn out to be expensive.
I have found that the area that was missing the most rubber had matching rubber caught in the clamp grooves for the screw and some was in the filter itself, that must have just fell in there somehow. I expect a small amount went into the intake system, will it cause any problem I do not know. Maybe an expert can clue me in. I guess I have to replace the TB extension as it has a seal in it.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:20 PM

Since you show damage on both ends of the intake, perhaps you have lost a motor mount and that caused it ?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a shop vacuum and suck out the throttle body!

Old 09-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Since you show damage on both ends of the intake, perhaps you have lost a motor mount and that caused it ?
There is damage only at the filter end of the CAI, the damage is to the filter clamping collar, it has fell off and been sucked through the CAI and became jammed under the butterfly of the TB.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by JohnGiaccio
Take a shop vacuum and suck out the throttle body!
I took the TB off and remove all of the filter collar, it is now clean. Thanks for commenting.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There is damage only at the filter end of the CAI, the damage is to the filter clamping collar, it has fell off and been sucked through the CAI and became jammed under the butterfly of the TB.
O, OK, in that case probably just vibration at the filter end was the cause.
Might have a peek at mine and see if I can add a brace at the end of the filter somehow.
Maybe 2 washers, one inside and one outside with a threaded compression type insert and a strap to the center support brace.
Or, even easier, a brace from the center support under the filter with a big hose clamp.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 09-26-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dodged a huge bullet- onehundred80, but I'm sure you know it. Glad it worked out.