All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

SKREEM Options

Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SKREEM Options

Well it has happened. The skreem has hit, and I have several days to get it fixed. I've tried all the options to get it started, but none of them work (removed the fuse #9, reprogram the key, etc). I was wondering if this is something a locksmith would possibly be able to do? I just need to get the car started once so I can drive it out of the location it's in now without paying a fortune for a tow. Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: SKREEM Options

Originally Posted by cjfine
Well it has happened. The skreem has hit, and I have several days to get it fixed. I've tried all the options to get it started, but none of them work (removed the fuse #9, reprogram the key, etc). I was wondering if this is something a locksmith would possibly be able to do? I just need to get the car started once so I can drive it out of the location it's in now without paying a fortune for a tow. Any help is appreciated!
If it is definitely the SKREEM then you have only one option, get a new one from NeedsWings for $250 or so.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:52 AM

My symptoms are as follows: everything was fine, then next time I went out to start it up, the engine would turn over, then instantly die. Then it would turn over the second time I tried, then instantly died. And after that I would have to disconnect and reconnect the battery before it would turn over and die again.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by cjfine
My symptoms are as follows: everything was fine, then next time I went out to start it up, the engine would turn over, then instantly die. Then it would turn over the second time I tried, then instantly died. And after that I would have to disconnect and reconnect the battery before it would turn over and die again.
Classic SKREEM symptoms

Old 08-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Any locksmith can fix this.
Provided said locksmith shows up with a SKREEM custom-programmed to your car.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Any locksmith can fix this.
Provided said locksmith shows up with a SKREEM custom-programmed to your car.
I'm actually very confused how it can be fixed. Is there actually a locksmith that can fix this, or is my only route the NeedsWings. I have trouble reading if that is satire lol.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:14 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes the locksmith part from Pizza Guy was a joke. From all of the reading I have done. You can go through Needswings. I have also seen where some people go through the stealership. I also believe 180 posted about a company that can repair them. From what I have read you will be down until you get a new Screem or get it repaired. If it were me I would go new with Needswings. There is always the chance if you send it out for repair it may not be repairable causing a longer delay.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

There is a video here with step be step instructions. You can do it yourself or I suggest you have whomever you get to do it view this video first. If you are at all handy and have a few tools you can do it yourself and save some big buck for labor.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...crossfire.html

Old 08-20-2018, 01:23 PM

There is also a multitude of valuable info here. Just double click the link.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Old 08-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Truth is, any locksmith, handyman, shade tree mechanic or DIYer can fix this - PROVIDED they have a SKREEM to put in there.

NEEDSWINGS is the best place to order the SKREEM from, some dealers are not to bad on price, but most will tell you that you cna't replace it yourself but they will do the entire job for $700-1200. So don't visit a dealer.

Order a SKREEM (you must do that yourself, as you must prove to Rob who you are and that you own that car with that VIN), and get some handyman to replace it.
It LOOKS like an awful job, but it's not really THAT bad. Just like the "Sticky Key" mod, it looks bad, but it's not really all that hard.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Agreed, just follow the steps.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

REMEMBER, the SKREEM is programmed only for YOUR VIN. Don't buy one on fleabay or you'll just be throwing away your $.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Just that with motivation and a few toyz, anything that is programmed can be reprogrammed.

OK a bit more: The SKREEM is a module. It takes an input, does some tests, and returns an output. Probably the I/O device is the ECM.

So all you need is to either simulate the I/O (if simple, just some components - complex an Arduino) or reprogram the ECM to just satisfy itself.
Next it would be handy to have a junk car that starts and runs for experimenting and verifying command/response sequences and simulation of same (logic analyzer is handy).
Finally decide the simplest way to eliminate the SKREEM and have a simple keyed ignition.

Easy particularly if you have done it a few times before (which I have - credentials on request) which brings us back to motivation..

Last edited by Padgett; 08-21-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying ,you have a way to eliminate the SKREEM unit ? And for motivation ($) ,you could do this do this for our community?...

Old 08-22-2018, 03:20 PM

What I am saying is that I have no doubt it can be eliminated since once designed flight controls for afterburning aircraft and have reprogrammed lots of ALDL devices plus some black work, just not sure what the best way (of several I mentioned) is. Since I would really rather not brick mine, a test mule is needed. Does a C320 have a SKREEM ?
Do not need money but also do not have a SKREEM problem so not motivated to spend any. Am somewhat annoyed that I cannot just keep a spare since it must be programmed to the VIN.
Think there is a $400 device that can reprogram the ECU (KOOS ?), do not know about the SKREEM.

Would be glad to coach a team. Key is that since the car is able to run, the programming cannot be that complicated, mainly just need a dump and would help to know the processor.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wadsworth
Yes the locksmith part from Pizza Guy was a joke. From all of the reading I have done. You can go through Needswings. I have also seen where some people go through the stealership. I also believe 180 posted about a company that can repair them. From what I have read you will be down until you get a new Screem or get it repaired. If it were me I would go new with Needswings. There is always the chance if you send it out for repair it may not be repairable causing a longer delay.
Nobody has yet found a company that can fix the SKREEM, some companies say they can but none have been proved to be legit. If they could would it cost less than than a new one from NeedsWings?Idoubt it.
What causes it to fail, an errant current through it, a failed 10 cent item or ..... ?
Finding the faulty part may cost a lot of time after which fixing others may make you some easy cash.Surely their are people that work on this stuff are on this forum. Just knowing how to change the VIN encoded in a unit would hopefully allow the use of $50 eBay units.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:05 PM

I look at it differently. If the SKREEM was removed entirely what would it take to make the car start, suspect it is just a subroutine in the ECM. Might just need addition of a JMP. Once reprogrammed a car from a 3800 with automatic to a supercharged L67 with a five speed Getrag & kept the digital dash and cruise.. A computer is a computer and at the bottom they all do the same things. Just need three things: to be able to dump the memory, change it, and reload it.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
I look at it differently. If the SKREEM was removed entirely what would it take to make the car start, suspect it is just a subroutine in the ECM. Might just need addition of a JMP. Once reprogrammed a car from a 3800 with automatic to a supercharged L67 with a five speed Getrag & kept the digital dash and cruise.. A computer is a computer and at the bottom they all do the same things. Just need three things: to be able to dump the memory, change it, and reload it.
From what you say can we take it that you have the knowledge to solve the problems people have with the SKREEM?
Maybe in future you could spell out what you mean by JMP and such. When I see such unexplained initialism or acronym in your posts I just chill out and go to another thread

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-22-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Sorry, guess I tend to mix hobbies. Used to design/program aircraft engine and flight control computers at the machine or assembly code level. Have also designed microcode for bit slice processors. Later I did a bit of unmentional work for my employer. Have been reprogramming my cars since a 84 Fiero but was entirely GM CCC and then P4 computer systems. These were mostly Motorolla 68x based systems with demountable UVProms.& EEPROMS (if geek speak I do not know how to translate.

That said the process is the same:
- identify the architecture (processor, memory, etc.)
- extract the memory contents
- identify the change you want to make
- make the change to your copy
- reload the memory with the new contents.
- test

Now I have not looked deeply into the SKREEM module but from what I have seen my hypothesis of operation is like this:

- key is inserted and turned
- SKREEM notifies ECU
- ECU responds with an "encrypted" VIN
- SKREEM compares with its memory
- SKREEM responds with GO/NOGO
- If GO ECU enters start sequence.

Now what I meant by the JMP (Jump) command was if when the ECU receives the interrogation (which may need to be simulated - have to look at the programming) if the ECU just skips the rest and goes directly to START , job done.

Once upon a time I did a lot of reprogramming of WRT routers and have a stack of bricked ones so would not like to repeat that with my car so once I figure out what needs to be done then would require a test bed (or will tell someone else what to do, I just need the dump).

From what I have seen EUROTUNES has a programming device for Mercedes but does not seem to be available for sale. Anyone either have one or know what it is or about a KESS V2 ? Might be able to uses a MegaArduino to create an interface.

Does this help ?

Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went on Needswings site and the price has JUMPED - how high? …. $699.95!! Guess I should have bought one before.

Quick Reply: SKREEM Options