All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

SKREEM Options

Old 10-02-2018, 02:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: SKREEM Options

WOW , what a jump. Maybe at that price someone will figure out a way to re-progam them to match the ECU code.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, that is Chrysler raising the prices on oct 1st, better than discontinued like they did on the export crossfires to Australia and UK.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

As I mentioned would have bought the $250 special but did not know what car might need. From what I have seen it is a security feature that seems to add more annoyance than security. With a ECU memory dump it should not be hard to bypass the function entirely.

That said while I have reprogrammed a lot of devices from GM cars to military aircraft, I have never taken a Merc apart, about all I know is that the ECU seems to have been supplied by Bosch and not what is inside it.

Now my guess would be that Needswings probably has an NDA in place that limits what they may do/tell. I don't but really do not know how to start. since I doubt that the CPU is a Motorolla/Hitachi 6809 or even an 8086.

Bottom line first I would need a test unit. Second I would need to buy/build a way to dump/load the memory (KESS ?). Since apparently there is not a DIY merc/crossie programming group, I would need to start from ground zero and could take several months to accomplish particularly if I have to build a test bed. Quick way might be a totaled car that still runs. Just a thought.

ps has anyone ever had or used a KESS/KTAG ? Am trying to figure out which one I need.

Last edited by Padgett; 10-03-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
With a ECU memory dump it should not be hard to bypass the function entirely.
A memory dump is NOT going to do it.

Guess again.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:29 PM

Well following the dump will need to disassemble the program, identify the I/O, bypass the SKREEM, fix any checksums, and reload in the ecu but am just taking one step at a time. Is possible you may be able to R&R the memory chip if socketed but need to get an ECU apart first. Anyone have a junk ecu ?

Don't be so negative Moriarty.

ps have written disassemblers before.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a layman here on this...an interested lurker. Seems the geek folks here (and I use that term respectfully) have a sense of what it might take. It's almost like using reverse gear to understand what that SKREEM is doing. I'm sure this question has risen before, but what is actually failing inside that box...and is it heat related? Also, why couldn't the failed section/piece inside that box be repaired? The analogy I'm attempting to use here is the solder repair to the RCM. Again, I can't contribute to what Padgett is contemplating, just some random thoughts based on my reads on this forum in the short time I've been here.

Subscribed!
Regards,

Old 10-04-2018, 11:03 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by CROSSFIRERUSH
I'm a layman here on this...an interested lurker. Seems the geek folks here (and I use that term respectfully) have a sense of what it might take. It's almost like using reverse gear to understand what that SKREEM is doing. I'm sure this question has risen before, but what is actually failing inside that box...and is it heat related? Also, why couldn't the failed section/piece inside that box be repaired? The analogy I'm attempting to use here is the solder repair to the RCM. Again, I can't contribute to what Padgett is contemplating, just some random thoughts based on my reads on this forum in the short time I've been here.

Subscribed!
Regards,
My initial approach would be simpler, test the individual parts and look for a failed resistor, diode or something like that. These cheap as dirt parts fail and the world ends up with another electronics board replaced and one on the scrap heap. Find out which parts commonly fail and you have solved the riddle.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-04-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
My initial approach would be simpler, test the individual parts and look for a failed resistor, diode or something like that. These cheap as dirt parts fail and the world ends up with another electronics board replaced and one on the scrap heap. Find out which parts commonly fail and you have solved the riddle.

Wouldn't that be one helluva asset to the forum members (especially since the prices went galactic), if someone could figure this out with a simple fix/repair. I can dream, can't I ?

Old 10-05-2018, 10:28 PM

Problem is that my understanding is the SKREEM includes a module that is interrogated by the ECM and has to return an encoded response (why each needs to be matched to a VIN). This is why I suspect it would be easier to reprogram the ECU. Was there any -320 Merc that did not have a SKREEM ?

Let's just say during my long career, several times I was given a box, told where it went, and had to figure out what it did. This is much simpler but if had to start from ground zero would have to either make or acquire a test bed to capture signals. But even before that would need to identify the internal components. Am sure schematics exist but right now am not sure is the ECU is a Bosch box or Siemans..

Just as a SWAG I'd target a $25k budget for the project (lots less than my retired-from employer would bid).

Old 10-05-2018, 10:53 PM

Problem is that my understanding is the SKREEM includes a module that is interrogated by the ECM and has to return an encoded response (why each needs to be matched to a VIN). This is why I suspect it would be easier to reprogram the ECU. Was there any -320 Merc that did not have a SKREEM ?

Let's just say during my long career, several times I was given a box, told where it went, and had to figure out what it did. This is much simpler but if had to start from ground zero would have to either make or acquire a test bed to capture signals. But even before that would need to identify the internal components. Am sure schematics exist but right now am not sure is the ECU is a Bosch box or Siemans..

Just as a SWAG I'd target a $25k budget for the project (lots less than my retired-from employer would bid).
It is a Siemens part, 5WK4 8698, Mercedes #170 820 18 26.
I'll add some photos of the board inside.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-05-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That MB part number comes back to a device in the drivers door https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

Old 10-06-2018, 03:57 PM

Didn't think it would be easy did you ? Looks like a number of components under that grounded shield. Am sure there is a Mercedes document somewhere and "fair use" for training and education purposes is permitted under the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act). This would definitely be educational.

ps 5WK4 8698 comes back as an Immobilizer.

Last edited by Padgett; 10-06-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dizzyspots
That MB part number comes back to a device in the drivers door https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D
That is a common error, the part actually sits behind the instrument cluster. That common error is why you could buy the used part for less than $30 on eBay. It was a useless part except to the car it came from.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thinking but how does one steal a Mercedes, you would have to think like a car thief. I can't believe that the criminals haven't found a way around this problem. Or can we totally eliminate the theft protection and go back to a 60's ignition like an MSD or modern day MSD. Any ideas on this I have to assume everyone's Skreem will fail sooner or later.

Just found this in another post, a SKREEM repair source

http://modulegods.com/

Last edited by hnikesch; 10-08-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Problem is that my understanding is the SKREEM includes a module that is interrogated by the ECM and has to return an encoded response (why each needs to be matched to a VIN). This is why I suspect it would be easier to reprogram the ECU. .
I disagree. I do not believe any provision for "reprogramming" of the ECU exists, not such that you get it to proceed without the SKREEM's response. What I mean is, I don't think you can "go that far" with re-educating the ECU. I can be wrong, but I really think I'm on solid ground here.

I would think that it would be easier to build a new SKREEM from one of the microcontrollers on the market. I'm not saying to build one that actually does all the SKREEM does, but one that simply provides the response to the ECU that it is looking for.

I wonder what Josh Chase would say.... I think I'll go to Facebook and ask him.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hnikesch
Just thinking but how does one steal a Mercedes, you would have to think like a car thief. I can't believe that the criminals haven't found a way around this problem. Or can we totally eliminate the theft protection and go back to a 60's ignition like an MSD or modern day MSD. Any ideas on this I have to assume everyone's Skreem will fail sooner or later.

Just found this in another post, a SKREEM repair source

http://modulegods.com/
Ive called these people, modulegods and they told me it can be done. Ive not seen the proof though.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What ever happened to the days when you just reached under the dash and touched two wires together......it always worked in the movies.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I think that's the first course in Movie Star 101 - how to hotwire a car/boat/airplane/whatever

Old 10-09-2018, 01:12 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I sent an email to SOS Diagnostics in Oregon and asked if they could repair or replace a Crossfire SKREEM. Told them I was asking for myself and on behalf of the Crossfire Owners Forum. I also found reference to a couple other places that claim to resolve SKREEM problems on a Sprinter forum. SOS sounded the most promising. I’ll report back if I get a response.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I am in contact with Kasey at ModuleGods in Florida.
He says if we would send him a working set of SKREEM, PTCM and keyfob he can decode what needs to be reprogrammed in the PTCM to bypass the startup procedure.
( disable the SKREEM entirely )
Once that is done, all that needs to be sent to him is your PTCM, cost will be in the $200 range.
I have yet to find a volunteer to supply the 3 components - I can only assume there is a chance he might brick the PTCM.
Anyone want to play ????????

Quick Reply: SKREEM Options