All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

SKREEM Options

Old 11-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: SKREEM Options

Originally Posted by Wildcard
Crossfirerush,

That's why I was thinking that we actually use Kickstarter. Funds aren't committed until enough interest has been generated to get it off the ground. A moderator or POC would be required to interface with the company running the reverse engineering/replacement aspect, though
Wildcard,

Kickstart is interesting! So how does it work in practice? Say 100 contributors buy in to this project at $25.00 per. Realize this is just an example; but, let's say the project is only $2,500.00. What's the integrity/safeguards to having the funds spent on the project? Obviously the trust element comes into play. A few folks here, Padgett comes to mind, as well as others here who could reverse engineer this for a reasonable cost workaround.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in general, a project will have a specific goal of amount of money to raise, and backers will get rewards for various levels of backing. In our case (I'll make up the next numbers here): perhaps there's small dollar contribution level of $10, which would get the backer a thank you email; next level would be a pre-ordering a replacement SKREEM-R ($400), next level would be SKREEM-R + Key + tumbler ($800). Maybe we also have a limited reward level for the one or two people that are willing to send their gear in to get reverse engineered where they get a massive discount on the finished product. If the goal were $30K, the community would have a 60-90 days for the project to meet the funding goal. If it's funded, money is deducted from those pledging, and given to the creators (for us, it would be the individual working with a company that does this sort of reverse engineering/production). If it doesn't meet the goal, the project doesn't launch off the ground, and we're back where we started. Ideally, the person running the project would have the community's trust to keep us up-to-date on progress.

https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us

The unfortunate aspect is that Kickstarter does take a percentage of the final amount raised, so the minimum amount required for the project would have to take that into account, I'd even say add in a few extra bucks to cover the individual's time in managing this.

For the record, NO, I'm not pitching to run this project. I've never put myself in a position to gain the trust of the community, nor do I have the time or connections.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm ready to support a project to work-around the failed SKREEM.

I still am not clear on what fails when you get into the SKREEM-failure situation. Is it the the chip in the key? Is it the antenna loop around the ignition switch? Or some circuitry in the SKREEM transmitter/receiver? If it's just the chip failure, then if you have a backup key, everything should still work, right?

I've got a 2005 Roadster (manual) Limited in which a previous owner installed a remote starter system. I have zero documentation on it except what I've been trying to gather and download. No info came with the car. However, these systems can remotely start the car...so do they do it by bypassing the SKREEM or do they hide a spare key somewhere in the car to trigger the SKREEM? I know that the car usually can't be driven without the key, even after you do a remote-start, so I guess the SKREEM isn't being completely bypassed. It appears that my remote start system (Clifford brand) requires you to kind of "pre-arm" the system before you leave the car for the next remote start. I don't know if the purpose is to save the SKREEM information or to guarantee that you have left the car in neutral? I haven't figured that out.

But there are some other remote starting systems that copy the chip information and then mimic it to the SKREEM. I've been reading about the KLON system: "KLON is a software service that instantly creates a 'virtual copy' of an OEM key. This virtual copy gets programmed onto an iDatalink module and enables the vehicle's engine to be started remotely." So, it looks like it's been done. Maybe we could hire a remote-start engineer/designer to tell us her secrets.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to participate too. I plan on keeping the crossfire for a long time.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:32 PM

Perhaps SIMON TOUCH from https://www.keyprogtools.com/ can help us?
We just need someone with more smarts than me to assess whether they can help us and if so reach out to them with all the right info they require.
Unsure of the cost or if we have sufficient support base for them to be interested?
OH.... if a fix does get off the ground please do not forget us International Crossfire Owners as we also love our cars.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:58 PM

SO I found a MB parts site that lists the module (Siemens 178201826) for $203.70 plus shipping. Is this the SKREEM module? Will it include the antenna ring or is that separate> They do ask for the VIN...but sounds like for parts ID.... at $200 compared to $600 maybe they didnt get the memo...or am I comparing apples to oranges? Mine is fine, but looking for an insurance policy...

Old 11-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyspots
SO I found a MB parts site that lists the module (Siemens 178201826) for $203.70 plus shipping. Is this the SKREEM module? Will it include the antenna ring or is that separate> They do ask for the VIN...but sounds like for parts ID.... at $200 compared to $600 maybe they didnt get the memo...or am I comparing apples to oranges? Mine is fine, but looking for an insurance policy...
That is the Mercedes part number for the SKREEM.
That is for the 178 Mercedes series cars, ours is 170 820 18 26
You do have the part number correct? Not a typo?
Edit
I cannot find a part starting in 178.

Maybe it is Chrysler who is demanding a high price for the SKREEM module, knowing that Mercedes will not sell it to a Crossfire owner.
If so surely this is in contravention of some trade law?

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:27 PM

My fingers...correct 1708201826 so that is the one to buy...that is currently $600+ at other sources? $221.60 with shipping

Old 11-07-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by dizzyspots
My fingers...correct 1708201826 so that is the one to buy...that is currently $600+ at other sources? $221.60 with shipping
It needs the VIN number etc put into its memory or it is just a paper weight.
If someone here or where ever can do this then there is a solution, used SKREEMs are cheaper though.
This comes some ten years after the last Crossfire was made, is it a coincidence or Chryslers plan to sideline Crossfires to ythescrapyard one car at a time or make a killing on keys and SKREEMs.
It is ten years that auto makers are required to supply parts for their cars or am I wrong there

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-07-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

But the SKREEM module must be configured with the "Secret" code for your VIN that matches the transponder chip in your keys.
Even if the equipment required to reprogram the SKREEM was obtained, we'd still need the "Secret" database held by Chrysler to match codes to VINs.
(Reading the SLKWORLD and BENZWORLD site comments, Daimler maintains their own "Secret" code database for Mercedes Benz cars.)
Somehow, I don't think Chrysler will cooperate and provide the codes. Besides, if the codes were released there would be a potential that a bad actor could breach the security of existing VIN SKREEMs resulting in legal exposure with possible auto thefts.
But, until a means to bypass the SKREEM check of the Key transponder chip can be developed, Chrysler still has us by the short curlies.
I believe that it is patently unfair for Chrysler to hold the entire population of Crossfire owners hostage by price gouging and threat of discontinuation of a critical single-point-of-failure component that can instantly turn our cars into useless scrap.
The cause to develop a workaround is needed and just. But at my current stage in life, I've wimped out and paid the unfair price for the new SKREEM.
So far, I'm sleeping better at night, but it is not caused from the reduced size of my wallet...
Cheers,

Last edited by Chooch; 11-07-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Concur - I must have been typing when you posted; your points are germane.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It needs the VIN number etc put into its memory or it is just a paper weight.
If someone here or where ever can do this then there is a solution, used SKREEMs are cheaper though.
This comes some ten years after the last Crossfire was made, is it a coincidence or Chryslers plan to sideline Crossfires to ythescrapyard one car at a time or make a killing on keys and SKREEMs.
It is ten years that auto makers are required to supply parts for their cars or am I wrong there
I always thought that it was 10 years but I have no proof.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
I always thought that it was 10 years but I have no proof.
From my further research this 10 years is a myth, I think the pollution parts must be available for 7 to 8 years and parts that have a warranty for the length of the warranty. After that you hunt for parts wherever you can find them.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80

From my further research this 10 years is a myth, I think the pollution parts must be available for 7 to 8 years and parts that have a warranty for the length of the warranty. After that you hunt for parts wherever you can find them.
Good to know.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd toss in $50 to the project and be willing to consult "pro bono". Wonder if an app could be written to load the VIN. I have a bunch of Arduino stuff for low level comm.

First thing would be to dump and reverse engineer a SCREEM module and determine exactly what it does. Would be a lot reasier if the SCREEM was not also responsible for the RKE.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an ECU I can donate to the cause. The chip with the vin code has been removed. In theory if you moved the chip from your bad ECU to this one , you would be good to go.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:39 AM

A post on the The Mercedes Swap Shop facebook page caught my eye
"Anyone that needs a SKREEM I can clone your data to a donor that works. Plug and play for $300.

I’m still searching for why they fail but cloning is by far the cheapest/easiest at the moment."

Looks like we may soon have a solution to our price and availability issue

Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 AM

So...."...to a donor that works" means a functioning SKREEM from a wreck MB or Crossfire and it can be matched to our Crossfire??
ALSO: How frequent are the SKREEM failures? out of the limited number of Crossfires out there...how many have failed?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, cloning would be reprogramming a module to function with your VIN.
As to failure percentage, hard to say.
I'm sure most go unreported on this forum, but those that are reported
describe a total loss of the car ( won't start ) and very expensive fix at the dealer.

Quick Reply: SKREEM Options