All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

SKREEM Options

Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: SKREEM Options

Just as a note but a "rolling code" could be as simple as an XOR and I would wager that the receiver has a stack of forward and reverse codes, probably five in each direction for each key or something similar and will accept any and use that to synchronize the next stack. Could also have a time factor involved. This is how digital access cards with rolling displays and some challenge-response cards work. One of the first things you consider is loss of sync and recovery. (Crypto is fun).

Just my opinion but the transponder/RFID part of the SKREEM should just be a simple, bypassable subroutine. For me just having the right key should be enough.

ps Mercedes started using the SKREEM in the last century.

BTW, just finished rebuilding/refurbishing a key fob that had a broken key. Works fine.

Last edited by Padgett; 11-28-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. I bought the lifetime warranty from Chrysler and after months of not knowing why the hell my car wouldn't turn on, they discovered it's the SKREEM. They said Chrysler might buy back my car since they don't have that part. I don't want to sell my car back - it's worth more to me as a working (well, when it did work) vehicle than the couple of thousand they MAY give me for it. We see the $700 one on Needswings - where are they getting them from if Chrysler doesn't have them? I just hate that I bought this lifetime warranty, and the ONE TIME I use it, I can't use it.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyMills
Ugh. I bought the lifetime warranty from Chrysler and after months of not knowing why the hell my car wouldn't turn on, they discovered it's the SKREEM. They said Chrysler might buy back my car since they don't have that part. I don't want to sell my car back - it's worth more to me as a working (well, when it did work) vehicle than the couple of thousand they MAY give me for it. We see the $700 one on Needswings - where are they getting them from if Chrysler doesn't have them? I just hate that I bought this lifetime warranty, and the ONE TIME I use it, I can't use it.
Why didn’t you come here when the trouble started? I am sure you would have been told the problem in a day or two. Dealers are not too good at diagnosing problems like this, they are expensive as you have found out. Get the part from NeedsWings and get it installed.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Y'all,
Here's something I read while going through the 2004 Crossfire Service Manual that I haven't seen before with regard to replacing the SKREEM:
ZH ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES - SERVICE INFORMATION 8E - 69
SENTRY KEY REMOTE ENTRY MODULE
Fourth paragraph under OPERATION:

In the event that a SKREEM replacement is required, the secret key code can be transferred to the new SKREEM from the PCM using the DRB IIIT scan tool and the ignition key system replacement programming procedure.
Proper completion of the ignition key system initialization will allow the existing ignition keys to be programmed into the new SKREEM so that new keys will not be required. In the event that the original secret key code cannot be recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. The DRB IIIT scan tool will alert the technician during the key reprogramming procedure if new ignition keys are required.

So, it appears that there is, or was, a means to code a replacement SKREEM from the PCM??
Does that mean that we really don't need the Chrysler Secret key code list by VIN to program a new SKREEM? Just a DRB IIIT and an intact PCM?
Or, if a DRBIIIT can do it, any of you Auto Software CAN BUS wizards know a way to read the PCM then transfer/write to the SKREEM?

Also, under every BODY VERIFICATION TEST section in the 2004 Service Manual the following note appears:
Note: If the SKREEM or the PCM was replaced, refer to the service information for proper programming procedures.
This concerns me that the PCM might somehow be VIN dependent also, but we should resolve the SKREEM first.

BTW: There are getting to be too many different posts on the SKREEM resolution. Any way to consolidate or centralize???

Cheers,

Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Chooch
BTW: There are getting to be too many different posts on the SKREEM resolution. Any way to consolidate or centralize???

Cheers,
Yes, Gary and I will spend TONS of our time cleaning up the mess that you guys made.
Sure, no problem. Would you like us to tackle climate change, veteran homelessness, the meth epidemic or anything else while we are at it?

Old 12-17-2018, 12:30 AM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile Re: SKREEM Options

After you finish this thread climate change would be nice

Old 12-17-2018, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Chooch
This concerns me that the PCM might somehow be VIN dependent also, but we should resolve the SKREEM first.
Cheers,
It is common knowledge that the PCM is VIN specific. But I am frankly amazed that the tool can sync the SKREEM and PCM - tho I should not be, as I suspected that was how Josh is cloning SKREEMS.
You can send him your old SKREEM and a junk yard SKREEM and for $300 he can clone them.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
After you finish this thread climate change would be nice
Too right, Mate!
This bloody cold weather causes excessive traffic as youngsters aren't at the beach!
Also, the reduced sea level prevents me from navigating the channel without dragging keel.
Think I'll have a fire in the fireplace tonight... Keep me and Mother Nature warm.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
It is common knowledge that the PCM is VIN specific. But I am frankly amazed that the tool can sync the SKREEM and PCM - tho I should not be, as I suspected that was how Josh is cloning SKREEMS.
You can send him your old SKREEM and a junk yard SKREEM and for $300 he can clone them.
How about PCMs; does Josh do those, too?
Haven't seen much on PCM failures or PCM replacements. Is that another part that I should add to my growing collection of spares?
Time to search the forum, again.

Last edited by Chooch; 12-17-2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Yes, Gary and I will spend TONS of our time cleaning up the mess that you guys made.
Sure, no problem. Would you like us to tackle climate change, veteran homelessness, the meth epidemic or anything else while we are at it?
You can do that?

Old 01-28-2019, 12:54 AM

My SKREEM unit has just started acting up and I've been combing everywhere the past couple days to find out the best possible solution. It's been suggested that certain companies can repair/clone SKREEM modules, but nobody has actually reported back and confirmed success in doing so. ModuleGods has been suggested elsewhere in the forum as a provider of a possible fix, and I'll be trying to get in touch with them tomorrow to see what they claim they can do.

In the meantime, I did find some interesting material that might assist in understanding how the modules may be interfaced with and reprogrammed.
See here: https://www.arlabs.com/locksmith_doc.html
The page contains documentation for many different immobilizer and ECU units, including ours ( Mercedes 170 820 18 26 ). See here: Mercedes_170_820_18_26.zip

Although I don't have the hardware or expertise to perform the demonstrated diagnostics, I suspect some of our members here might. Hopefully this provides some utility.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM

So Chrysler (with my lifetime warranty I purchased) bought a SKREEM module from Needswings and programmed it and had the dealership install it. Now the problem is the car was started too many times under fault, so the PCM board is bad, and there is no way to replace that.

OR IS THERE? Is my car really dead now?

Chrysler has decided to wash their hands of this and refund my warranty. But I'm still on the hook for the SKREEM module (which is fine, I was going to buy one anyway.)

Old 02-07-2019, 01:14 PM

So Chrysler (with my lifetime warranty I purchased) bought a SKREEM module from Needswings and programmed it and had the dealership install it. Now the problem is the car was started too many times under fault, so the PCM board is bad, and there is no way to replace that.

OR IS THERE? Is my car really dead now?

Chrysler has decided to wash their hands of this and refund my warranty. But I'm still on the hook for the SKREEM module (which is fine, I was going to buy one anyway.)
Why would Chrysler buy from NeedsWings. If the SKREEM can be replaced why not the PCM. The dealer screwed up the PCM, so it is their fault not yours.
It looks like the warranty supplier is looking for the cheap way out, The SKREEM is only good for your car, it is not any use to another car.
You are being ripped off.
You could buy all the required components from one car that is being parted out, these can be purchased for under $1,000.
Ignition switch and halo, key, SKREEM and PCM. You then change the new ignition tumbler for your old one and use your old key which you have put in the new fob.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-07-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:45 PM

I agree, I just got ripped off. Originally the dealership told me Chrysler said they couldn't find the part. Then I told him Needswings had it, gave him his number, suddenly I have a SKREEM module in my car. I've got a check from Chrysler for a rebate of my warranty, but a "bad PCM". I wholeheartedly agree, the dealership screwed up the PCM, not me. But there's no way I'm going to win that argument with them. (Unless you've got a tried and true set of buzzwords I can walk in there with, acting like I know what I'm talking about?

Old 02-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Oh and the "warranty supplier" is Chrysler themselves. I purchased the lifetime warranty directly from their headquarters in Detroit, not from my dealership. So it's Chrysler giving me the run-around.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought the PCM wasn't VIN specific ?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:06 PM

I agree, I just got ripped off. Originally the dealership told me Chrysler said they couldn't find the part. Then I told him Needswings had it, gave him his number, suddenly I have a SKREEM module in my car. I've got a check from Chrysler for a rebate of my warranty, but a "bad PCM". I wholeheartedly agree, the dealership screwed up the PCM, not me. But there's no way I'm going to win that argument with them. (Unless you've got a tried and true set of buzzwords I can walk in there with, acting like I know what I'm talking about?
I guess the word lawyer scares nobody these days.
I am assuming that by PCM you mean ECM, how come it is not under the warranty?

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-07-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 AM

Are you sure that the ECM is bad because of too many failed starts? I thought that was a myth that was never confirmed to be an issue for the Crossfire.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 PM

They received a new SKREEM module from Chrysler, and key scanner ring kit thing, programmed it all, but then they said it was the PCM that was the problem now - having been started too many times under fault (they said it was 40 something times and they refused to claim that's their fault). But it's definitely the "PCM" and they said it's forever on backorder and was going to cost more to get one than my warranty would cover. Chrysler sent me a check for my car and washed their hands of me and my warranty.

So what's the definitive word on a PCM that was started too many times under fault? Lost cause? Can it be replaced? Is it VIN specific?

Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 PM

They received a new SKREEM module from Chrysler, and key scanner ring kit thing, programmed it all, but then they said it was the PCM that was the problem now - having been started too many times under fault (they said it was 40 something times and they refused to claim that's their fault). But it's definitely the "PCM" and they said it's forever on backorder and was going to cost more to get one than my warranty would cover. Chrysler sent me a check for my car and washed their hands of me and my warranty.

So what's the definitive word on a PCM that was started too many times under fault? Lost cause? Can it be replaced? Is it VIN specific?
As far as I know, the PCM/ECU is not vin-coded. I can't believe they're on indefinite back order though. I'm going to be on the phone with the parts department at my local dealership up here in Seattle, and see if that's still the case. At least you can get one of them as a working solution from another junked crossfire; unlike a SKREEM unit. I'm also still not convinced that the PCM/ECU becomes inoperable after 30+ attempts, because I've seen so much conflicting information around it; and the only one's claiming that that is indeed the case seem to be dealerships that have proven to be incompetent otherwise, and would be more than happy to sell someone a unit they don't actually need.

Quick Reply: SKREEM Options