All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Back-up Camera

Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back-up Camera

Looking for info on a quality, wireless back-up Camera system. I care nothing about a forward camera option option ( I can see where I'm going and don't need to record it)
The mirror mounted screens have appeal.....but the wires hanging down is not desirable. So I guess a dash mount is my only option. Wireless would make for an easy install with only a wired connection from the camera to the passenger side back up light. I have also read that is it's recommended to swap out the 1156 back-up lamps to LED units. I hope someone on this forum has done this installation and have some recommendations.
Thanks

Old 12-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Default Re: Back-up Camera

I installed a mirror monitor to a wired backup camera, wires are tucked up under the headliner and A pillar plastic cover then under the carpet back to the light and camera. Nothing can be seen except the camera mounted to the license plate. This is the one I used from Amazon, everything is included and it mounts to the XF mirror mount with included adapter.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by hnikesch; 12-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Thanks......I told my bride what I wanted (for Xmas).......it should end being up a wireless unit , also from Amazon, but with a dash or windshield mount....same brand.
I didn't want to mess around with concealing wires .etc. The camera wires to the back up light looks easy. I'll re-post at a later date with hopefully good results.
Again, thanks for your reply........

Old 12-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 12-09-2018, 08:07 PM

I opted for a Whistler one available at Walmart. It is wireless in the back so all you need to do is mount it to the license plate . It has rechargeable lithium batteries that recharge by sunlight shinning on two thin solar panels on each side of the rear plate . In the front the monitor plugs into the lighter socket and mounts to the dash with a suction cup just like a GP S. Because it is not wired to the backup lights you simply push a button on the monitor before backing up and it stays on for 30 seconds. Very nice and looks great.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 AM

Looks like a nice unit.....my XF is garaged and only sees sunlight during an occasional run.....none this time of year as it's up on blocks for the winter. So the battery would be most likely flat when needed.
I also prefer the auto reverse on function over pushing a button. The one thing I've determined is that the screen in the rear view mirror units are way to small and also that the mirrors that have a blue tint
are worthless at night. 4.3" screens seem to be about right.
Thanks for posting your experience.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM

The mirror monitor is close to my head so the size is not an issue

Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM

I have the wired one like yours on my other cars. One good thing about the Cross fire is the hole under the plate(is it supposed to have a cover over that quarter sized hole....anybody know?) On my other cars I had to drill a hole under the plate to pass the wire through. My tablet keeps leaving a space between cross and fire that I can't stop it from doing that!

Old 12-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdcrossfire
I have the wired one like yours on my other cars. One good thing about the Cross fire is the hole under the plate(is it supposed to have a cover over that quarter sized hole....anybody know?) On my other cars I had to drill a hole under the plate to pass the wire through. My tablet keeps leaving a space between cross and fire that I can't stop it from doing that!
You can add the word Crossfire to the dictionary in your tablet.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:16 PM

did it fit between the sun visors without hitting them?

Old 02-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdcrossfire
Yeah mine has the same hole you describe. No plug or cover for it on mine either.
Hope you (or someone) can answer a question since you have had experience running the video / IR cable through that hole. I'm in the process of removing the inside panel(s) to get to the cable and connectors which are already through the hole. Is there any trouble getting to it when the panels come off? Any other tips are appreciated...

Old 02-17-2020, 11:50 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by g wheels
Yeah mine has the same hole you describe. No plug or cover for it on mine either.
Hope you (or someone) can answer a question since you have had experience running the video / IR cable through that hole. I'm in the process of removing the inside panel(s) to get to the cable and connectors which are already through the hole. Is there any trouble getting to it when the panels come off? Any other tips are appreciated...
Taking the panels off is easy, putting the upper side panels back on is not. I would not take them off as the clips break trying to get them off and putting them on. I found it impossible to do and my good frien bluecoupe got into the tribune to complete the task.
I cannot remember if that hole actually does go into the trunk.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Taking the panels off is easy, putting the upper side panels back on is not. I would not take them off as the clips break trying to get them off and putting them on. I found it impossible to do and my good frien bluecoupe got into the tribune to complete the task.
I cannot remember if that hole actually does go into the trunk.
Thanks and I see what you mean regarding the plastic clips. I'll be going to United or ordering them online as it looks like a few have broken. I was going to ask you via PM but you don't answer them (at least from me) and I don't blame you. As for a hole going through from the bumper cover to the interior, that's a negative from my inspection. I'll have to drill a hole unless someone else intervenes soon. My car is so pristine for being 17 years old that I hesitate; but nothing last forever any ways. Appreciate the heads up and advice. I really want that camera as I can't get used to such a short back side. I just finished installing a camera on my FR-S and it went well but that drilling through the bodywork is a buzz kill..

Old 02-17-2020, 02:06 PM

All is right! Removed tail light, found an opening beneath the top layer of the bumper cover. Fished a wire to the hole beneath the license plate. No new holes needed..