All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

changing headlight bulbs!!

Old 02-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing headlight bulbs!!

i know there is a complete "how to" with pictures, etc in the tech section, but i had the pleasure??? of having to replace a burned out bulb last night (and therefore in order to equalize both the longevity and the color, i changed them both). this act is not for the faint of heart, lol. sure the process is extremely simple, and should actually take no more than a total of 5 minutes total (assuming you have the headlight assemblies off the car and you are working on a bench, lol.. now, i am not a particularly stout guy and i certainly don't have sausage fingers, but this entails,a special degree of contortion-ism, lol all told about an hour of squeezing, bending and scraping/cutting of the hands and fingers. lol. i know others have performed this surgery over time, but i just wanted to vent a bit and curse the engineers who designed this assembly and placed all types of obstacles in the way, lol.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: changing headlight bulbs!!

If I recall, one side is easy to access and the other is a beyatch. Even worse in the SRT6 where you have to remove some pieces on the driver side for access. I had a real tough time aligning them correctly (first, second, third install they pointed down instead of out). Picked up a cheap stick mirror to see how the tabs aligned and try #4 was perfect. But yes, having small hands (good job for Trump) and patience helps.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by srs244
i know there is a complete "how to" with pictures, etc in the tech section, but i had the pleasure??? of having to replace a burned out bulb last night (and therefore in order to equalize both the longevity and the color, i changed them both). this act is not for the faint of heart, lol. sure the process is extremely simple, and should actually take no more than a total of 5 minutes total (assuming you have the headlight assemblies off the car and you are working on a bench, lol.. now, i am not a particularly stout guy and i certainly don't have sausage fingers, but this entails,a special degree of contortion-ism, lol all told about an hour of squeezing, bending and scraping/cutting of the hands and fingers. lol. i know others have performed this surgery over time, but i just wanted to vent a bit and curse the engineers who designed this assembly and placed all types of obstacles in the way, lol.
Nice rant; Enjoy the ride!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zip439
Nice rant; Enjoy the ride!
so you didnt have to take the front bumper off ? Ive got 1 burnt out also but have been in no hurry to change it lol but i will soon . Any tricks i should know ?

Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

no don't take the bumper off. You can remove the headlight housing if you must. there are bolts under the housing that must be taken out plus what you see from the top, but it is not necessary. Be careful of the clip that holds tension on the bulb. It is sprung into small brackets that allow the clip to be removed, which I do, and that makes the job easier for me. If you accidentally spring that clip out of it's position you must then try to hunt it to where ever it has fallen. Start the job with plenty of time and a good attitude and you can get it done. Might try the search box for more detailed info.
Enjoy the ride!

You can find a step by step instruction pdf in the TBS and how to section; Look for index of Crossfire problems and repairs, then go to the lighting section.

Last edited by zip439; 03-23-2019 at 09:46 PM.