Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Replacement Stereo for Convert

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Stereo for Convert

Ok... This may have been answered somewhere in the 26 pages of posts, but i couldn't find anything fast.

Here's what I'm looking for.

I have a 2005 Roadster Ltd
I would like to replace the Infinity head with something with more modern features.
Bluetooth, and USB or SD Card. I don't own any Apple products on purpose. So i don't need one that is an Ipod compatible.

My question or concern is the OEM stereo is 240 Watts. Anything i have found online is only 50-80Watts. Does the Infinity system have an Amp installed too?

I just drive the car.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Default Re: Replacement Stereo for Convert

If you're looking for a head unit with usb or SD card, Blaupunkt makes a few. I've got a melbourne with the SD card in it, and I think the St Louis(?) has the SB port in it. You can probably get one on ebay for a decent price. Mine was +/-$100 to the door. If you need instructions on how to install it, there's a thread for that. Most of what it entails is cutting one wire to unlock it from the telephone setting, the rest is fairly simple and you can do it in minutes.

Yes, there is an amp in the car. It is located in the passenger side floor board behind where you would normally put your feet.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the Blaupunkt St Louis - no Bluetooth but it has an SD car slot and a USB port so you can plug a thumb drive into it too. Well, plus an iPod input but you don't care about that.... just in case someone else reads this though.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 PM

Mike... is that enough power when the top is down?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Default Re: Replacement Stereo for Coupe

Was the Melbourne a simple conversion, just plug into exisiting wiring harness. Did you have to purchase a Blaupunkt Plug N Play adapter cable (part number please)

Any other tips

Many thanks

Originally Posted by LGV-XFIRE
If you're looking for a head unit with usb or SD card, Blaupunkt makes a few. I've got a melbourne with the SD card in it, and I think the St Louis(?) has the SB port in it. You can probably get one on ebay for a decent price. Mine was +/-$100 to the door. If you need instructions on how to install it, there's a thread for that. Most of what it entails is cutting one wire to unlock it from the telephone setting, the rest is fairly simple and you can do it in minutes.

Yes, there is an amp in the car. It is located in the passenger side floor board behind where you would normally put your feet.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Default Re: Replacement Stereo for Coupe

Originally Posted by mrwolt
Was the Melbourne a simple conversion, just plug into exisiting wiring harness. Did you have to purchase a Blaupunkt Plug N Play adapter cable (part number please)

Any other tips

Many thanks
Yeah, the melbourne just went right in and hooked up, but you need to cut the a-2 wire(bottom left looking at the back) to unlock it from the telephone setting. After getting the Infinity out, this litterally takes all of two minutes. Then you just need to get all of your settings in and you're good to go.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iowa_Crossfire
Mike... is that enough power when the top is down?
Sorry for the late response!

It's loud enough for me, even at 80mph. But is it loud enough for you? Hard to say. I don't worry about sound quality all that much in a convertible, I just want to hear the programming I want to hear, when I want to hear it. There are plenty of times I just turn the thing off and listen to the Magnaflow exhaust as I run up and down the gears!! An iPod hookup was essential for me, however, and the St. Louis has the added benefit of the SD Card slot - nice bonus.