Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

More Volume

Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: More Volume

Originally Posted by lildaddym
What's a good replacement amp? I would think that anything with more power would be good...
Physical size and heat would be the biggest concerns.. hate to say "search".. but there are members that have listed what they are running in the stock amp location.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can do! I will see what i can find...

Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel foolish , i didnt even consider the fact that you could run a new amp in place of the stock one with the simple rca converter,is this the best route to get more volume? we would lose the speed sensitive feature though right? i bit the bullet and bought new infinity kappas for my doors

Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Live and learn right here all for free... LOl.
Yes you would loose speed sensitive
And yes a higher power "quality" amp is going to get you more volume.
And since upgrading speakers wasnt on my list of to-do's I didn't delve into it.. but check on the 2 ohm 4 ohm speaker thing.. lol.
Also if I'm not mistaken the rear subs are dual voiice coils.. something else to consider..
Adding the amplified bass cannon with a line tap to rca was my first "upgrade"... then adding the new HU..then breaking out to four channel input to the amp and redoing the bass cannon feed to the HU dedicated rca plugs was the extent of my sound upgrade, so anything past that is just what I remember while searching through threads..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Doesn't a new head unit give the same effect, without the hassle of re-wiring an amp?

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Mine "seems" to push the amp a little more.. I can only turn volume up "x" amount and anything past that does nothing.. 240 watt amp is only going to do 240 watts.. LOL. Pretty sure that's what ours rates at..

Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM

I thought I read, maybe incorrectly, that something with a higher output would give more volume...simplistically speaking. Check this post:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...2459#post67823

Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM

See post #26

It's nothing radical by any means..5% "maybe" 10% if you want to stretch how great a volume improvement it is.. LOL.

Moving the bass cannon from the line tap to HU output was the biggest bang for the buck... probably added 25% more kick to it.. I have a remote wired volume adjuster on it and before it was mostly dialed all the way up..now it pretty much stays at 75% and still hits fairly hard.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 11-05-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Forum Regular

from reading , the infinity speakers i bought should be fine ohm wise , and hopefully slightly louder, is the topic of this thread to make bass louder via extra woofers ect? or overall loudness?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Selbyl
One thing I found is that for some reason my wiring harness didn't have a negative for each speaker channel. So instead I ran the negative for each channel on the converter to the head unit ground. I wish I took pictures when I did this before I switched to my new head unit. It would be so much easier to explain.
Reading back I just caught this.. the OEM HU is only two channel L-R no "rear - subwoofer".. could explain your lack of wires.. They split in the harness on the way to the amp, which is why you have front - rear inputs.. but no F - R adjustment.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM

So which 1000 watt amp do you recommend that will fit the stock amp location and run cool enough there? Or is this just a remote mount and feel the thump solution?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Forum Regular

what if you want to keep the stock head unit , the replacement amp option works right? then you could even put 6.5 inch woofers in the old spot that would really hit harder, though i find the stock ones do a nice job, better than any other car ive owned, although i will admit my sebring was a beast , 4 6x9s and two tweets stock!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
So which 1000 watt amp do you recommend that will fit the stock amp location and run cool enough there? Or is this just a remote mount and feel the thump solution?
Talking remote here. I wouldnt replace the stock amp with anything, due to the reasons listed earlier.

Originally Posted by falshami
what if you want to keep the stock head unit , the replacement amp option works right? then you could even put 6.5 inch woofers in the old spot that would really hit harder, though i find the stock ones do a nice job, better than any other car ive owned, although i will admit my sebring was a beast , 4 6x9s and two tweets stock!
If you want to keep the stock HU, then you are stuck with the stock amp no matter what you do. You need the split channels which the amp does, not the HU. The stock looks good I guess, but why dont you just eliminate the silver and buy an aftermarket HU? Or find a company that makes a good aftermarket HU silver? With the stocker you are limited in possibilities. If you want componet speakers, run them off the stock amp and wiring, there is no need to do anything with the stock amp.... Other than bypassing it for the rear subs to the rear output of a new HU.

All I did with mine is put in new tweeters (I will have a little write up eventually, when Im not so busy). Then the vocals were overpowering everything, so I put in my old subs just to even things out. The amp I use is crap, and the subs I use have been through hell and back. It was strictly for evening things out. The vocals were so crisp and loud without subs it literally hurt my ears, RMS is 150 each on them, they are no joke for tweeters. Now, with subs it all sounds perfect... Getting deafer by the day . What ties it all together though is my kenwood HU, I will never buy anything else... ever. It has every setting you would ever need and its $150. LPF, HPF for the front. LP, HP for the rear. LP, HP for the subs. Sub phase, reverse, boost, extension and level. F and R bass: level, extension.. Then mid settings, treble etc etc all very in depth.... Buy a good HU, buy good speakers, if you want thump then buy an amp and subs... In that order IMO...

Just my .02

Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Maybe I'm in left field.. but if you replaced the amp with a 4 channel amp and split the signal (like oem does).. you wouldn't basically have the same setup with a more powerfull amp? Add base blokers - filters as required at the input to the amp..or output.. Not a "top notch" setup, but lets you retain the oem HU and crank it up a little more..

Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Talking remote here. I wouldnt replace the stock amp with anything, due to the reasons listed earlier.

What ties it all together though is my kenwood HU, I will never buy anything else... ever. It has every setting you would ever need and its $150. LPF, HPF for the front. LP, HP for the rear. LP, HP for the subs. Sub phase, reverse, boost, extension and level. F and R bass: level, extension.. Then mid settings, treble etc etc all very in depth.... B
Just my .02
Which Kenwood do you have?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Maybe I'm in left field.. but if you replaced the amp with a 4 channel amp and split the signal (like oem does).. you wouldn't basically have the same setup with a more powerfull amp? Add base blokers - filters as required at the input to the amp..or output.. Not a "top notch" setup, but lets you retain the oem HU and crank it up a little more..
The stock amp has more than just audio crap going to it. Thats not even taking into consideration what everyone else said... The biggie, heat. If you find one that works, let me know. IMO if you want to put in a 6 channel- which is what you need, not a 4.... then let me know how it goes, I cant think of anything that would work, and Im not convinced its a good way to go.

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Which Kenwood do you have?
Kenwood KDC-HD548U (KDCHD548U) In-Dash Car Stereo w/ HD Radio ----I believe I have the older version of this. Not sure exactly I will need to look.

-This weekend was spent putting in a 1/2 farad capacitor for testing purposes.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM

The stock amp has more than just audio crap going to it. Thats not even taking into consideration what everyone else said... The biggie, heat. If you find one that works, let me know. IMO if you want to put in a 6 channel- which is what you need, not a 4.... then let me know how it goes, I cant think of anything that would work, and Im not convinced its a good way to go.
See post #21.. I hear the search engine works equally for everyone..

Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Kenwood KDC-HD548U (KDCHD548U) In-Dash Car Stereo w/ HD Radio ----I believe I have the older version of this. Not sure exactly I will need to look.

-This weekend was spent putting in a 1/2 farad capacitor for testing purposes.
Does it come with a silver face, I wonder?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM

Physical size and heat would be the biggest concerns.. hate to say "search".. but there are members that have listed what they are running in the stock amp location.
See post #21.. I hear the search engine works equally for everyone..

Perhaps we are missunderstood on what we are both trying to say. I was under the impression you were talking about replacing the stock amp with something else? I have seen a few threads of people wondering if you can or not... all I was trying to say is I wouldnt. My opinion is that I dont want a bunch of bypassed wires and a few fried speakers with the possibility of a fire. If you want better speakers and are going to replace all of them anyway then why wouldnt you just go components????? That way you dont have a big amp to deal with, just small ones you could easily hide....

Quick Reply: More Volume