Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Radio Looses Power Intermittently

Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Looses Power Intermittently

My 2006 Crossfire Roadster with Chrysler Infinity Radio w/GPS looses power intermittently and then comes back on within a minute or so right back to the station I was on. Anyone else experience this problem? This is a weekend car with only 7500 miles and only happens maybe every third time we drive it. Not sure where to start. Thinking a power supply plug is loose but not sure how to access it. I'd appreciate any help

Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 566 Likes on 475 Posts
Default Re: Radio Looses Power Intermittently

Originally Posted by Traveler
My 2006 Crossfire Roadster with Chrysler Infinity Radio w/GPS looses power intermittently and then comes back on within a minute or so right back to the station I was on. Anyone else experience this problem? This is a weekend car with only 7500 miles and only happens maybe every third time we drive it. Not sure where to start. Thinking a power supply plug is loose but not sure how to access it. I'd appreciate any help
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...o-removal.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
radio_removal_keys.jpg (183.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN2046-1.JPG (128.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Administrator
Received 892 Likes on 696 Posts

So, the radio display goes blank and the radio goes QUIET? (The radio is having a problem). Or does the radio go quiet with the display not going out at all? (Probably the Power Amp and not the radio).

Which is it?

Which ever it is, get the owner's manual out and check the fuses associated with the radio and/or power amp. Any corrosion on them? If so - there you go. Clean the corrosion from the terminals and replace the fuse itself. (Have fun taking it apart to get to the terminals...)

Go to WalMart and get the keys to remove the radio - pull it out and verify the plugs are in and locked.
Pull up the floor mat on the passenger side - check the PA cables and connectors for being locked in place and look to see of there is any water down there. (There are at least two ways water can end up down there. Check back with us and let us know what you find).

I think if you search "Radio Removal Tools" here on the forum, you can find the WalMart part number for the keys to the radio. I've posted it at least twice.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator
Received 892 Likes on 696 Posts

Lookit this: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...o-removal.html

Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Onehundred80 / Pizzaguy, Thanks much! Display goes blank and Radio goes quiet. I'll purchase the keys and check these power supply points. Car truly has been babied never seen rain but has been washed. I'll check your suggestions this weekend and let you know if issue continues. Thanks again. This Forum is a wealth of information!

Last edited by Traveler; 09-03-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Traveler
While I don't have the factory unit in my car (I have an aftermarket Sony), my radio was doing the exact same thing. One time when it did it, I happen to be looking at the dash and I saw the BAS/ESP light flash on when then radio lost power and then went off when the radio powered back up (probably less than 2 seconds from power off to power on). I learned from this forum that a bad battery connection can cause problems like this so, even though my connections "looked" OK, I removed and cleaned the clamps and posts and made sure the connections were good and tight when I put them back on. It never did it again.

Hope this helps.

RL