Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Did the Dealer??

Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the Dealer??

When buying my XF back in October '05, the dealer included the first oil change as a part of the deal. Well, three weeks ago, I took the car in with 6,400 miles on the clock and had them service it. When I got the car back, the plastic decal in the corner window said I needed service in 3K miles, figured maybe that was a default for their computer, however, I looked on the paperwork today - and they used 6.0 QTS of 5-30W Castrol. My question is, is this oil okay to run the service period in my car or should I go take her back to the shop.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Did the Dealer??

Did they use synthetic oil? If not, I would definitely take it back to the dealer and make them change the oil again. Either way you need to take it back and make them put the other 2.5 quarts in since the Crossfire requires 8.5 quarts. If they didn't use synthetic oil, then you risk voiding the engine warranty since the oil probably doesn't meet the specs required by Chrysler.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:33 PM

Luckily I have this documented on the receipt they gave me and they did not ask me to sign the release papers - I am kinda livid. Isn't a dealership supposed to have a Certified Crossfire Tech? If there is a sticker that says Mobile 1 0-40W recommended - shouldn't they use that??

Old 05-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

First and foremost, become familiar with your car. The owner's manual is a very good place to start. The Crossfire has many bells, whistles and service requirements that the majority of other cars do not have.

The owner's manual has all the maintenance/fluid requirements, read up on oil type and quantity this car uses. Also, read about the FSS (Flexible Service Schedule) that will tell you when an oil change and service are do. It starts out at 7,000 miles and counts down, which in turn lets you know when service is due. The Crossfire does not have a "set" maintenance schedule.

Getting off my soap box and to answer your questions... your service department seems to have no clue on how to service a Crossfire. The car manufacture specifies 8.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0w/40 synthetic oil, and most people here recommend staying with that.

Take the car back, insist they service it correctly using the specified oil brand and viscosity. Do not let them tell you other brands/weights are okay. Also, have them make a note on the work order that the wrong oil and quantity was used for the previous oil change AND keep the previous work order that shows the car was serviced incorrectly.

The Crossfire is a car like no other that Chrysler dealers/service departments have ever seen before. Many of them had no clue as to what they are doing the first year the car was out, but are getting better than when it first appeared on their lots. What you have as someone else here once said, "is a Mercedes-Benz in sheep's clothing", or something to that effect.

Seriously, take some time to go over the owner's manual and surf through this forum on a rainy day. The more you know about this car, the better off you will be.

Good luck and keep us posted how it went when you take it back in...

Oh, and there is a sticker on the crossmember in the engine compartment, just above the drivers head light that shows the recommended oil and brand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
In Box 005.jpg (103.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by ben47; 05-28-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 PM

I read the owners manual front to back when I bought the car -

I know all about the FSS - but it was not set when I bought the car anyhow. As far as my initial ??, it was more along the lines of if 5-30W was okay to run for the 5,000 or if I should take it back. You are damn right I will be in the dealership Tuesday morning with a service complaint, and I will make sure they use the Mobile1 on the car. Luckily the dealership owns Mercedes Benz too so if they can not do it, I will tell them I want it done at MBenz. Makes me wonder what else was not done.

Old 05-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ANOTHER FINE EXAMPLE OF THE PROFESSIONAL SERVICE FROM CHRYSLER DEALERSHIPS. I have to start counting these things... I would guess at least 30 so far.

One of my vendors owns a company that is the largest Mercedes engine re-builders in the US. His comment on this 112 engine is that lubrication is the biggest cause of failure. That is why they run so much oil in the bladder.

Take your car to Jiffy Lube, at least they know how much oil and what type to install... Go back to your dealer and ***** slap them and tell them that we're all making fun of them on the internet.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Just an FYI. Castrol does make synthetic oil called Syntec. They might have (I doubt it) filled the engine with Syntec, just 2.5 Qt. short. Make sure they use the synthetic oil. Don't we just love our Chrysler service department who knows NOTHING about XF's.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs down Re: Did the Dealer??

Wrong all the way across the board...

1. mileage

2. oil type

3. amount of oil

I'd complain to Chrysler about it...on second thought don't even bother as I'm sure you'll get stuck talking to someone from India who could care less about you and your cars lack of attention, so lets add that to the list as well...

4. language barrier w/customer service

Old 05-29-2006, 09:59 PM

It's sad when the freaking Dealer can't even get an oil change right...