Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

First Oil Change

Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 AM
EWD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Oil Change

So I finally completed my first oil change this weekend. Now coming from someone that hasn't ever done this before, reading these forums and getting the necessary tools/instructions made the whole experience pretty painless. Although I read somewhere it would take around 15 minutes, it took me more like an hour. I had to pump the Topsider about 3 extra times before I got to the gurgling sound. The oil filter was really easy to switch out. I picked up a fleece replacement from NAPA. I did reuse the rubber washers though. I guess I'm good for another 7,500. I need those transparent oil change stickers so that I can stick one up on my windshield...This place is GREAT! Thanks everyone...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: First Oil Change

Originally Posted by EWD
.... I guess I'm good for another 7,500. I need those transparent oil change stickers so that I can stick one up on my windshield.....
Why?...You have the FSS that counts down to when the next service is due. Hope you remembered to reset it.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post that NAPA Filter # so owners here will know what it is.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EWD,

I am surprised it took you an hour to change the oil; was the oil hot or cold and did your remove the oil fill cap? Before I change the oil bring the engine to normal running temperature . This makes the oil extremely viscous like water and very hot so be careful! I removed all but enough of the Tygon tubing from Topsider to just make a coupler between the Teflon tubing and the metal adapter that way it doesn't collapse because of the temperature . It then takes about 10-15 minutes to extract all the oil and while it is doing that I change the filter. My last oil and filter change took me about 30 minutes from start to finish that included putting everything away.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 AM
EWD

Idaho,

The oil was hot. I'm aware that I should've waited until it cooled down a bit, however, I just back from a drive and actually let the car sit for about 15 minutes before I inserted the clear tube. Also, I never did remove the oil fill cap. I'll have to try that next time.

---------------------------
Here's what I used....

Napa Link for the oil filter:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...0180%2026%2009

West Marine link for the Topsider Oil Extraction Kit:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...7074&ref=81902

The oil can also be purchased by the box at Napa, as well as the oil filter assembly wrench. Get a 74/76mm X 14 size wrench. I never did need a torque wrench for tightening the assembly.
----------------------------

Danimal,

What the hell is a FSS? I"m looking it up right now...Oh and by the way an interesting event occurred along those lines...Before I changed the oil my double wrench icon displayed 1,400...directly after I changed my oil it now displays 2,100.

Last edited by EWD; 02-13-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by EWD
Danimal,

What the hell is a FSS? ...Before I changed the oil my double wrench icon displayed 1,400...directly after I changed my oil it now displays 2,100.
That IS your FSS...you need to reset it. Instructions are in several other posts. It's a bear to reset but once you figure it out, it goes much quicker.
Good luck.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Forum Regular

EWD,

It's good you did it hot, but if you had that long piece of Tygon tubing that connects between the Teflon tube and the metal lid it probably collapsed because of the heat and reduced your flow. What I did was remove all but and inch of the Tygon tubing for a coupling and butted the Teflon tube against the metal lid.

Connected that comes with the Topsider.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
EWD

I think you're right on that one, Idaho because I had to occasionally adjust the tubing to prevent collapse because it became really soft while draining the hot oil.

So I finally reset my FSS, danimal. Took me 2 tries. Not hard at all. I'm gonna pick up a cabin filter this weekend and check that off my list. These guys sell 'em pretty cheap:

http://www.drivewire.com/chryslerpar...airfilter.html

Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by EWD
I think you're right on that one, Idaho because I had to occasionally adjust the tubing to prevent collapse because it became really soft while draining the hot oil.

So I finally reset my FSS, danimal. Took me 2 tries. Not hard at all. I'm gonna pick up a cabin filter this weekend and check that off my list. These guys sell 'em pretty cheap:

http://www.drivewire.com/chryslerpar...airfilter.html
$17 bucks, that is cheap compared to the $40 or so that people say they cost at the dealer. So we're sure that this is the correct part? If so, I'll buy one right away. (I had my B-service oil change recently, but didn't replace the cabin filter).

Old 02-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Eh, too much of a hassle to save a few bucks.

Just go to your local car x or something like it. Bring your own oil, and filter.

And give the guy like $15 dollars to do it.

I do that for all my oil changes now. Much easier and less time consuming. I have done oil changes to turbo swaps, and I would just rather pay someone to do it. Not worth the hassle.

For instance, a found guy to change my wires on my T/A for $100 bucks.

I was like, $100 bucks for a wire and plug change? I'll do it myself.
Let's just say there was more blood on my arms as there was grime.

Knowing what I know now, I would have paid the $100 bucks. Brutal tune up job on that car.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Forum Regular

Bullseye,

If it was just about the money I would agree 100%, but I want the job done right. I have come to find out that often times then not oil changes are done by the least experienced person in the shop some times they are high school students. This lesson cost me a oil pan on my Intrepid, the wrong oil in my Crossfire, and of course the drain plug in my Crossfire over tightened. Do you know that most oil change mechanics don't use a torque wrench to tighten the drain plug: It makes you wonder why they spec the torque on the plug when their own mechanics won't use a torque wrench.

Sorry but can't stand paying for incompetence that can and has cost me more in the long run regardless of the price. I now do the oil change on all six of my vehicles and my kid's cars.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:24 PM
FP
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I know the mileage interval for changing oil is 7.5 K miles, but does anyone know what's the time interval if any?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by FP
I know the mileage interval for changing oil is 7.5 K miles, but does anyone know what's the time interval if any?
Time and mileage is VARIABLE, depending on how you drive.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:50 AM
FP

Originally Posted by danimal
Time and mileage is VARIABLE, depending on how you drive.
Thanks, what about folks that only put on about 7K miles in one year? Should they only change their oil once a year, or should they do it every six months? That's my question. I don't know enough about synthetic oils. On my other cars I change the oil every 3K Miles or 3 months.

Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Forum Regular

I don't know how long the FSS counts down before indicating that the oil needs to be changed based on time. But it has been over a year since I had my oil changed and the FSS is still showing that I have 1,000 miles to go before service is due.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:59 PM

Mine went for 16 months and 10,000 miles before indicating the '1 wrench' service. I drive it very little, but when I do it is for extended road trips, like the trip from FL to PA last July and a couple of trips to NC. After owning it for 19 months, I still only have a little over 11,000 miles on it.

Last edited by danimal; 02-15-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
FP

Originally Posted by danimal
Mine went for 14 months and 9,500 miles before indicating the '1 wrench' service. I drive it very little, but when I do it is for extended road trips, like the trip from FL to PA last July and a couple of trips to NC. After owning it for 19 months, I still only have a little over 11,000 miles on it.
OK, so you're doing strictly on mileage. That's what I'm doing, and was concerned about it.

Thanks.