Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Definitely do the SRT Driving Experience

Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitely do the SRT Driving Experience

Just returned from California Speedway where I did the SRT Driving Experience. This is an event not to be missed. I've attended several "driving schools" and this is the bargain of them all. Not much time spent discussing driving dynamics and techniques, but much time spent driving. Autocross was with Crossfire SRT's so a number of "Hemi - owners" and Viper drivers were impressed. Drag racing was OK, but not my cup of tea. All the SRT models were represented and we got to drive them all several times. My ET times driving the Crossfire were consistently lower than when driving the hemi-cars. People were really surprised at the SRT acceleration. The SRT jeep was unbeastable of course (that "unbeastable" was an honest typing error, but it is truly a beast.

Fast time on the track was really great. Several times in each car on our own for multiple laps with an instructor leading the groups of three or four cars, but it gave us much actual high-speed time on the road-course. Purposely started out with the hemis and was quite impressed with their power, handling and sound - some had SRT aftermarket exhausts which sounded great. Then it was time for the Crossfire. To sum it up - I definitely made the right decision getting the SRT. So much easier to drive fast on the track - just no comparison with the other cars.

Final event was a ride with instructors driving the Vipers. These are pretty incredible - felt and rode like full-on race cars. Very large, loud and hot. A kick - but can't imagine driving it on the street. Watch the side exhaust when getting in or out. I managed to bring home a small "badge of courage" on one leg.

So - don't miss it if you get a chance. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Definitely do the SRT Driving Experience

Cool! I'm going in October. I can't wait!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it...

TWICE!!!

I've owned a few SRT vehicles and I've done it twice so far. I did it at Laguna Seca and Virginia International Raceway(VIR). I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that hasn't done it. It was the most fun I've had outside a bedroom in YEARS!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 PM

You got to drag race the Crossfire? The event I attended only had the 300C, Jeep and SRT-10 truck to drag. The Jeep was incredible, and we were warned to be careful using a camera when taking off else we would risk a black eye! The 10 was disappointing in that it was the slowest through the course. But then it does weigh 5,000 lbs.

At the end of the day ride along with an instructor, I chose to go with the Crossfire since I wanted to see what the car could really do. In turns we would catch up to a Viper. But the second the course straightened out, the Viper would shoot ahead.

During the autocross event my instructor told me to use both hands on the wheel. I've never been able to drive that way since I began learning to drive 30 plus years ago - it's just too weird and uncomfortable for me. However, I tried both hands in the Viper and surprisingly found it to be natural and comfortable. Still haven't tried the Crossfire two handed though.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much does such a pleasure cost and where can I find some information about it to know weather it is available in my area...?

Old 07-28-2007, 01:42 AM

Hi Sidez,

Go to drivesrt.com for registration, dates, etc.

The cost is $500 if your car was built before April 1st, 2005. After this date the cost of the event was factored into the cost of the SRT vehicles and the owners can attend for free. Note - during registration your VIN is requested. If credit card info is requested after submitting your VIN then that means you will have to pay the $500 regardless of what a SRT TE reps says (if you should call one for clarification like I did and was told that probably their system hadn't been updated with my VIN yet).

The website now clearly states that only vehicles built after April 1st, 2005 qualify, but when I registered the blurb was on vehicles ORDERED after April 1st, 2005. Since I bought mine off a dealer lot I thought the order thing would not apply. I was wrong! And the order requirement didn't apply to the customer, oh no. It meant when the dealer ordered the car, or so the SRT rep told me after my credit card was charged. After a little investigation I was amazed to discover that my car was actually ordered before it was built. Anyway, by whining and crying and complaining of fraud and misrepresentation I got out of paying the $500. Soon afterwards the SRT TE website was changed to better clarify the eligibility requirements.

The event is a blast and if you can attend for free then you really should do so. If you have to pay then I'm not so sure it's worth the money.