Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Warning Beeper and HI symbol for oil ICON

Old 11-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts
Default Re: Warning Beeper and HI symbol for oil ICON

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
It is not an "unknown reason", I've been a Crossfire owner since July 6, 2009. I did my first oil change that fall, had the alarm light going down an on-ramp a few days later.
Checked in here, got the lowdown: "Mark, anything over 8 quarts will set off the alarm."

I've done COUNTLESS oil changes since then, 8 quarts does it.

In 2010, I brought home my second Crossfire - and it was lighting the alarm on the way home. The car got an oil change that weekend - with 8 quarts.
My current SE came with only 8 in it, as the previous owner apparently informed PEP BOYS in Orlando of the 8 quart capacity. Personally, NO ONE is allowed to change the oil on any vehicle I own, other than myself.
I put in 8 litres every time and never have I had the alarm problem. The car uses a Mercedes engine and they use litres over there, if they say eight then eight it is. There is nothing wrong in using 8 US quarts though, it will be fine, but it will take 8 litres with no problem.
8 litres is 8.45 US quarts.
Can I take it that COUNTLESS is more than ten fingers? ��

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-23-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just change my oil today , & yes I only put in 8 qts, & it’s reading full ! That’s what I have been doing since I’ve owned it , never a problem ! ��

Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also just a heads up my Autozone had the 5 qt bottle Mobil 1 for $25.99 , they told me that was a good sale price ! It’s been a while since I bought it so not sure that’s a deal or not !

Last edited by Ed Mahoney; 11-28-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 11-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323

For those that had the warning light come on, do you recall if you were taking any turns aggressively enough to force oil to one side of the oil pan? That would trigger the HI level indicator if the amount of oil near the sensor was excessive. An engine oil system with 8 liters added during an oil change could do that with some aggressive driving - ?..
I always have used only 8 quarts for an oil change, autocross my Crossfire, and have never had the HI warning during an autocross event.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by shaag78749
I always have used only 8 quarts for an oil change, autocross my Crossfire, and have never had the HI warning during an autocross event.
It is amazing that we have people here that say the oil quantity of 8 litres stated in the manual is wrong, I put in 8 litres every time with no problems. Maybe 8 Canadian litres is equal to 8 USqts, and not 8 European litres.
Someone also said that the oil quantity for a base was not stated but it was for an SRT, surprise it is the same basic engine. Where that info came from is a question, an NA Manual would not mention the SRT.
On here we get erroneous opinions stated as true facts when in fact they are trumpisms, a word derived from ye olde English expression ‘trumped up’ which comes from trumpeted.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-30-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

On here we get erroneous opinions stated as true facts when in fact they are trumpisms, a word derived from ye olde English expression ‘trumped up’ which comes from trumpeted.
Are you sure you are not referencing The Donald's tweets

Old 11-30-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Are you sure you are not referencing The Donald's tweets
Me of all people doing something like that? I was referring to facts stated which are in fact fake news, personally I think we are seeing some Russisn involvement here, some Russian cyber agent salting the forum with disinformation.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Good Morning everyone.

I tried to check the oil level in the car and I tried all the recommenced ways to do this and nothing . The trip meter stays blank. - Maybe I should try this while speaking German
All I succeeded at was to reset my tripometer twice. I tried You Tube. I tried using the instructions that were posted.. nothing but a blank screen

But I do have a clock and one wrench and a -730.. which I know is the FSS code in the accumulated mile display and should be reset.. but even that does not reset when tried. You here beeping , but still a clock a wench and -730

Could the level sensor in the oil pan be bad?

Can we reset these items with a scanning tool?

Thanks for any help I can get

Groucho
2007 Roadster Limited
Manual Shift - Black
50K miles

Old 06-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

The warning beep and "HI" is separate from the reset of the FSS. The FSS reset IS frustrating for a lot of us. I had a HELL of a time resetting it in my 05s, but in the 07 SE, it is easy.

The "HI" indication is usually caused by too much oil in the pan, I found long ago that 8 quarts, not 8.5 quarts, was the proper fill. If you are putting 8.5 in there, THAT is your problem.

The scan tool does not access "user adjustable" items like the FSS. Yes, the sensor can be bad, but most often when the sensor goes south, you get a LOW indication.
I would urge you to disconnect the car's battery for one minute and THEN try resetting the FSS.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Good Morning everyone.

I tried to check the oil level in the car and I tried all the recommenced ways to do this and nothing . The trip meter stays blank. - Maybe I should try this while speaking German
All I succeeded at was to reset my tripometer twice. I tried You Tube. I tried using the instructions that were posted.. nothing but a blank screen

But I do have a clock and one wrench and a -730.. which I know is the FSS code in the accumulated mile display and should be reset.. but even that does not reset when tried. You here beeping , but still a clock a wench and -730

Could the level sensor in the oil pan be bad?

Can we reset these items with a scanning tool?

Thanks for any help I can get

Groucho
2007 Roadster Limited
Manual Shift - Black
50K miles
If I want to check the oil level I use the dipstick, so simple.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

Resetting the FSS is a PITA!!! It is quite sensitive to any deviation from the procedure. Wait too long and/or press too soon and the FSS won't reset. Try the attached procedure and the FSS should reset itself. It may take you a couple of attempts. Always does for me. And zeroing out the ODO is also a PITA during this reset procedure.

Attached Files
Old 06-05-2019, 07:02 PM

Thanks guys,
But the first problem is that I cannot check the oil level in the car. I get a blank screen - No Hi and no Low. Could the oil level sensor be bad in the car and is not responding to the inputs?
Thanks dedwards I will try the reset again. I did disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and tried again last week "but still a clock a wench and -730" Like a slot machine..

I just checked the dip stick and it is almost to the top notch

Old 06-05-2019, 07:09 PM

Thanks guys,
But the first problem is that I cannot check the oil level in the car. I get a blank screen - No Hi and no Low. Could the oil level sensor be bad in the car and is not responding to the inputs?
Thanks dedwards I will try the reset again. I did disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and tried again last week "but still a clock a wench and -730" Like a slot machine..

Top notch is good, so if it is not too high or too low why would you expect a warning?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Ok - I cannot check the oil level from inside the car - blank screen while trying to view it.
No Hi reading at all... just no readings

Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Thanks guys,
So you cant check the level via the screen AND you can't reset the FSS. HMMM. I'm beginning to think the switch on the end of the **** that you use is defective, that would explain both of these complaints.
Ive never heard of it happening, but there is that "first time for everything..." saying that comes to mind.

Not sure what you can do, ripping the dash out for that little switch seems a bit extreme. I check my oil with the stick, using the panel button for that almost NEVER works for me, altho resetting the FSS is easy for me - I do not know why.

Like I said, you have it too full. When I put in 8 quarts, the level is around 85% of the way between bottom and top notch.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Ok - I just was successful in resetting the FSS - thanks for the new instructions.. Mine went a little different but I finally saw the 7000 indicator and the clock, wench and -730 went away. YES !

I just got the car from the dealer and he may have put in too much..

I did also see the oil symbol. Now I am going to use the other instructions to check the level

pray for me !

Old 06-06-2019, 07:24 AM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

I've owned my 2007 Coupe for nearly 11 years. And I have never checked the oil level using the dash electronics. I do know it works because I got the HI level reading several years back when I performed an oil change and tried to put 8 liters in the engine. While up in Fontana NC for a Crossfire weekend, the HI warning came on multiple times whenever I drove aggressively thru those "twisties". Came home & siphoned out about 1/2 quart and never got the HI warning again. They gave me an engine oil dipstick, so I use it! Eight quarts gives a reading of nearly FULL on the dipstick, so I figure things are okay.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 06-06-2019 at 07:26 AM.