Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Overcoming blindspots??

Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Overcoming blindspots??

I've attached a link to a 180 degree rear view mirror that claims to eliminate blind spots from Hammacher Schlemmer. The site claims that this rear view mirror used by police officers and professional racecar drivers. The site also claims that it's easy to install as it clamps to your existing rear view mirror without requiring the use of tools or adhesives. I've ordered one but it hasn't come yet so I can't verify the ad's accuracy. Here is the link: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74978.asp

Old 05-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VAGuy22204
I've attached a link to a 180 degree rear view mirror that claims to eliminate blind spots from Hammacher Schlemmer. The site claims that this rear view mirror used by police officers and professional racecar drivers. The site also claims that it's easy to install as it clamps to your existing rear view mirror without requiring the use of tools or adhesives. I've ordered one but it hasn't come yet so I can't verify the ad's accuracy. Here is the link: http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74978.asp
I don't think this one works well on the crossfire. The c-pillar is so thick.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 AM

Never too old to learn. My friend's daughter learned in Driver's Ed how to adjust the mirrors. She was taught by a UPS driver. She told me how and I scoffed. But I went ahead and tried it. Damned if after 42 years on the road, I now have my mirrors correctly set. I have no blind spots on the Crossfire coupe and it's easy.

1. Lean as far to the right as you can and adjust the right mirror so you can just see the side of your car.
2. Lean left and do the same to the left mirror.

That's it! Now a vehicle leaving your rear view mirror will seamlessly enter the appropriate side mirror. And as it leaves the side mirror(s) it's into side window view. No on-road blind spots. If I need to see the side of my car for backing up, I simply lean in. all my cars are now so adjusted.

Try it. It works. As far as a lower view out the back, I don't think anything will help that other than a rear view camera.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 AM

i have a similar story... i work in the transportation industry and talked to a tractor-trailer driver and asked about how he got teh best view from his mirrors... he told me the same thing... turns out i was just a little off in my previous methodology for positioning my mirors... but now, no blindspots. woohoo for small cars.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
Never too old to learn. My friend's daughter learned in Driver's Ed how to adjust the mirrors. She was taught by a UPS driver. She told me how and I scoffed. But I went ahead and tried it. Damned if after 42 years on the road, I now have my mirrors correctly set. I have no blind spots on the Crossfire coupe and it's easy.

1. Lean as far to the right as you can and adjust the right mirror so you can just see the side of your car.
2. Lean left and do the same to the left mirror.

That's it! Now a vehicle leaving your rear view mirror will seamlessly enter the appropriate side mirror. And as it leaves the side mirror(s) it's into side window view. No on-road blind spots. If I need to see the side of my car for backing up, I simply lean in. all my cars are now so adjusted.

Try it. It works. As far as a lower view out the back, I don't think anything will help that other than a rear view camera.
Exactly the same way I position my mirrors as I mentioned here before. The idea is no overlapping between the rear mirror and side mirrors, which means maximizing the area that the mirrors can cover.

But the way I setup the side mirrors is slighter different. I position the mirror on the road. I let a car to pass me on my left, and I adjust the side mirror so that as the car disappear in the rear mirror, it then begin to reappear in the left side mirror. Same thing on the right side.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 62thunderbird
After 42 years on the road, I guess you will need a little time to feel comfortable with the new mirror settings.

I only have about 10 years on the road, and I started this new mirror settings last year when I got the crossfire as the rear view is so bad. It took me a little while to get used to the new setting, to feel confidence of the actual position and distance of other cars in the mirrors.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by VAGuy22204
I dont think this would work as it has to function from within the cab of the car. It should give you pretty good views of your interior, but I would be very surprised if it gave any better view of the outside than does the existing review mirror.

Just my $0.02

Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Caulking, positioning, breaking your neck....all sounds like too much to me.
So I am pretty sure that my fix was the best and simplest.
Originally Posted by P-DuBBs
Just get some convex mirrors like I did from an auto parts store (they cost under $5)...but get the round ones that swivel/rotate/tilt (however you want to call it...as long as it can move). Then just stick it on your side view mirrors. Put it on the outward edge of the mirror for a wider coverage area.
As far as the rear view mirror....I dont think theres a fix for that unless you have drop top capabilities.
To paraphrase one of the members....you'll only just be getting a better view of the inside.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Forum Regular

Why don't you just buy the small round spotter mirrors? They are about $1.50 at Autozone. I use them more than I do my regular mirros. I also like to back into parking spots so it helps not clip the curb. Great for blinds spots. I also have them on my 3000GT. My brother w/ the G35 gave me the idea. Cheap but works and doesn't look bad.

JMO. I am a little cheap you know.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 PM

myself, ive always owned panal vans, so i've learned how to drive with the mirrors and rarely turn my head much. lol have 2 vans rite now. a real strong shop van and a hard core hotrod van . mirror position is everything. if you can see your car without leaning then you don't have them out enough.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
svo
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crossfirefun
Welcome to the forum. Not much you can do to improve visibility with these cars. Unless you do what I did and buy a roadster.
Other than when parking - I like someones quote... "You only need to worry about what is in front of you, what is behind you is behind you"

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by BORICAN
Why don't you just buy the small round spotter mirrors? They are about $1.50 at Autozone. I use them more than I do my regular mirros. I also like to back into parking spots so it helps not clip the curb. Great for blinds spots. I also have them on my 3000GT. My brother w/ the G35 gave me the idea. Cheap but works and doesn't look bad.

JMO. I am a little cheap you know.
UUUmmm....that's what I said. although you were more spot on with the price
Once again...make sure they are the swivel types so you have more flexibility with adjustments.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P-DuBBs
UUUmmm....that's what I said. although you were more spot on with the price
Once again...make sure they are the swivel types so you have more flexibility with adjustments.
SOOORRY! LOL! i misread your post.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the 180-degree rear view mirror today and it really does eliminate blind spots. As prior posts have suggested, the c-pillar does obstruct some of the view but when a vehicle is passing through that spot it doesn't entirely disappear. You can still see either the front or rear of the vehicle through the mirrors.

Here are some pros and cons that I have found so far:

PRO
  • The mirror is wide enough so that you can track a vehicle behind you, watch it come up beside you through the triangle windows behind the doors, and by the time it disappears from the mirror you can see it out of your side windows.
CON
  • This is a rather expensive fix compared to the cost of the remedies that others have suggested.
  • The mirror shakes if you are driving over a rough surface.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by BORICAN
SOOORRY! LOL! i misread your post.
LOL...no love lost...LOL
I think VAguy confirmed that our fix is the best (cheap and sturdy...lol)

Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular
Default One approach

I made something from available materials that preserves the field of view on my side mirrors, shows the whole blind spot plus, and is removable.

Click for Details

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM

I backup and park by ear.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Bosslet
I backup and park by ear.
It'll buff out!