Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hood + Garage door = Temporary Panic

Old 08-13-2008, 06:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood + Garage door = Temporary Panic

I decided to do an oil & filter change on "Chuck" last night. It is the first time I have used a pump device throught the dipstick hole. A combination of the pump taking longer than I though and watching the Olympics, I did not finish last night. No big deal as the car is not driven daily. My wife leaves for work before me in mornings. I am in bed still a sleep and I hear "Help" from her. Huh? "How do you lower the hood on Chuck?, the garage door won't open". Well the car is backed into the garage and I did the extended hood opening trick. We have one of those roll up power doors. I ask, "Did the door hit the hood?" Yes. Oh sh$% as I put some shorts on and walk down the stairs. Still half asleep I am worrying about the hood being bent, dented or scratched. Panic averted as the quick reversing feature on the garage door did its job. No marks on the hood. It would have made contact under the wing emblem. No worries

Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 AM
Default Re: Hood + Garage door = Temporary Panic

i think i may have paniced a little while reading yoru story....then breathed a sigh of relief when the story came to a conclusion.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, welcome to my Nightmare.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Forum Regular

Haha~ you are lucky

Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by steverwrx

Well the car is backed into the garage and I did the extended hood opening trick. We have one of those roll up power doors. I ask, "Did the door hit the hood?" Yes. Oh sh$% as I put some shorts on and walk down the stairs. Still half asleep I am worrying about the hood being bent, dented or scratched. Panic averted as the quick reversing feature on the garage door did its job. No marks on the hood. It would have made contact under the wing emblem. No worries
I had the same thing happen after I installed the Needswings intake.
I hit the door opener and went in the house for the camera to snap a few pics and when I came back to the garage I saw what was almost certain tragedy.
Although in my case the door stopped within inches of where my hood was standing straight upright. When I realized the near impact my heart stopped for a moment. That will never happen again I can assure you.
I think a said a thank you god that day and I'm not religious.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just monday I found the button on the hood support and opted not to use it. It was just too close for comfort to the open overhead door. I am so paranoid about the car that I tie back the bicycles with a dog leash so they can't fall. No wonder, though. Last spring our door was sounding a bit odd as it opened and closed. By chance I was in the garage when it came off the track directly over the car. Thankfully it hung by the control arm long enough for me to stop the opener. Turns out that the lag bolts that hold the tracks to the front wall were not tight and they spread apart .

I can do without the adrenalin rush.