Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Sorry... New to the Forum

Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry... New to the Forum

It's been a long time since I've been new to any forums, so this is a bit embarrassing for me.

Anyway, I was checking your stickies and browsing the forum. I was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction for common issues with these cars, other than the rust.

So here's a little bit about myself. I'm in the market for a new DD. My 94 Saturn has been a real trooper, but with over 200,000 miles, little things are starting to break here and there. It's drinking 2 quarts of oil a week and the low coolant light keeps coming on (even though the coolant level is fine). My toy is a 93 RX-7. Not exactly something I want to be driving all the time.

So, I didn't come here to tell you about my other cars, I came to see what Crossfires are all about. I was thinking a 5spd Coupe would make a good DD, I'm looking to keep it in the under $15k range, since it will be a DD.

Thanks kindly,

Brian

Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sorry.... New to the Forum

The trans has an issue that should be fixed within a few thousand miles if it has it. Few radio issues on the 04s and the no start issue are about all. door rattles and window problems should all be fixed on a used one.
Other than that they run great. Poke around and you will see.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brian it's the most car you can get for your money. $15k would buy you a very nice Crossfire, and probably with not too many miles on it.
Personally I wouldn't recommend it for 'North Eastern" winters, but many here on the forum drive em year round. I'd suggest 4 Blizzacks for the winter.
My car has 35k on it, and the only problem I had was a pinched vacuum hose that kept the hatch from locking, and it was fixed under warranty. Oh, and they replaced my 4 year old battery under warranty also.
If you enjoy your RX7, then you should love a Crossfire.
If you can hold out until the weather starts to get nasty, you could probably get an even better deal than now.
Good Hunting

Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sorry... New to the Forum

Lancaster Pa?? Just go for the old reliable horse and buggy..

Seriously though, I bought my first about 2 years ago, I absolutely love the car. Both of my Crossfires had the foggy headlight issue, it is a TSB though. No other problems to date. your maintenance costs are going to go way up though.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:32 PM

No multi-quote?
Originally Posted by crossfirefun
The trans has an issue that should be fixed within a few thousand miles if it has it....the no start issue are about all.
Would you mind giving me a couple keywords to go with the tranny issue and no start issue to aid me in my searches?
Originally Posted by +fireamx
Brian it's the most car you can get for your money. $15k would buy you a very nice Crossfire, and probably with not too many miles on it.
Personally I wouldn't recommend it for 'North Eastern" winters, but many here on the forum drive em year round. I'd suggest 4 Blizzacks for the winter.
My car has 35k on it, and the only problem I had was a pinched vacuum hose that kept the hatch from locking, and it was fixed under warranty. Oh, and they replaced my 4 year old battery under warranty also.
If you enjoy your RX7, then you should love a Crossfire.
If you can hold out until the weather starts to get nasty, you could probably get an even better deal than now.
Good Hunting
Well most of the cars I've owned have been RWD and I've lived in Jersey/PA all my life. I managed to muscle my Fox body Mustang through PA winters on all-seasons, so I'm hoping I'll be alright in the Crossfire.

I'm in no rush to buy at the moment, but I'm worried about how much longer my Saturd is going to last and I definitely don't want to be driving the 7 in winter. Not only because it has wide summer tires, but also just for the fact that I don't want to expose it to the salt and snow of a PA winter.

Speaking of warranty, what warranties can I expect to get with a used Crossfire? If I go for an 04, will I have 1 year left or maybe 4?
Originally Posted by rodimus
your maintenance costs are going to go way up though.
Please explain this. Will maintenance for a Crossfire be higher than for my 7? I can get another FD for little more than what I'd pay for the Crossfire and being how I am a full and complete RX-7 enthusiast. For reference, it's literally cheaper to purchase and maintain an F355 than an FD RX-7.

For the record, $15k was just a spitball figure. Since it will be a DD, I would probably not be looking to buy a pristine specimine to cart me around through the snow, rain and horse crap of the roads. I've been looking but it seems that most Crossfires are in CA and TX. What would $10-12k fetch?

Thanks for the welcome guys, I know we RX-7 owners have a reputation for being a group of elitist ******...mostly because we are. It's nice to not have to run for cover like most new people have to on the 7club.

-B

Last edited by RX7TT; 08-25-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX7TT
No multi-quote?

Please explain this. Will maintenance for a Crossfire be higher than for my 7? I can get another FD for little more than what I'd pay for the Crossfire and being how I am a full and complete RX-7 enthusiast. For reference, it's literally cheaper to purchase and maintain an F355 than an FD RX-7.

-B

Here is the total cost of ownership for a crossfire around $15,000.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/chr...=10989&vdp=off

I can't find a comparable system for a 93 RX-7 but that does seem up there as well. The oil changes in the car seem to be a suprise to some. 8.5 quarts of synthetic oil. Chrysler says every 7500 miles, I usually change between 4 and 5. As a DD this could add up quite a bit. (Along with premium fuel) It seems your RX-7 isn't your DD, I was more comparing the costs to the Saturn, your current DD.

On a side note, I think I went camping in that area of PA when I was much much younger. There was something called the green dragon there??

Good luck with your Crossfire hunt..

Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Here is the total cost of ownership for a crossfire around $15,000.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/chr...=10989&vdp=off

I can't find a comparable system for a 93 RX-7 but that does seem up there as well. The oil changes in the car seem to be a suprise to some. 8.5 quarts of synthetic oil. Chrysler says every 7500 miles, I usually change between 4 and 5. As a DD this could add up quite a bit. (Along with premium fuel) It seems your RX-7 isn't your DD, I was more comparing the costs to the Saturn, your current DD.
Interesting. That cost of ownership is a lot higher than I had expected.

I can't find a TCO for the 7 either, but suffice to say it's rather high. Without DDing my FD, I've put over $20k into it in the 2 years that I've owned it. Mostly repairs from the PO and maintnence. With oil changes evert 1000-1500 miles at 5.5qts per oil change and around 10mpg on premium fuel.

The TCO of my Saturn is reasonable, but still somewhat high. It is the type of car that nickle and dimes you to death with small issues. Thanks for showing that to me, though. I didn't expect that.
On a side note, I think I went camping in that area of PA when I was much much younger. There was something called the green dragon there??
Yessir, Green Dragon is about 3 miles from my house. You may not have known it, but Maple Grove Int'l Raceway is also about 2 miles from me. That's where they hold the Keystone Nationals and some other NHRA events.

I actually grew up in South Jersey, camping at Sunny Valley which is also right here.

-B

Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Both of my Xfires have been darn near maintenance free, besides tires, oil, etc. - the normal stuff. The SRT has 31K, the Coupe, 59K.
Maintenance costs can be tough: 8.5 quarts of synthetic oil, premium gas, all 4 tires will set you back nearly a grand & everything under the hood is Mercedes, I'll let you guess at why that may be costly . Winters can be tough; if you plan on driving it throughout the winter months & through whatever kinda snowfalls you get in PA, you'll want to heed +fire's recommendation & score some snow tires..........which will be expensive.
Up here in snowland I won't drive either Xfire through heavy snows; I'll opt for my Cougar on days like those, let the wife drive the Xfire all of 2 miles to her place of employment ( & give sacrifices to the car gods hoping that she'll keep her wits about her & not exceed 10 mph). A good pair of All-Season's will help on those days when 8+ inches isn't falling. I'd recommend Goodyear F1 A/S's; a fine tire. Remember, the car's clearance isn't much more than 3 inches; plowing through snow much deeper than that is spooky. I know, I've been there.
If you're the second owner of the car then you should be eligible for the warranty, there isn't any beyond that. Check with your nearby Crossfire dealer (not all Chrysler dealers are Crossfire dealers!). Some of the guys here are experts on the warranty thing: they just need to chime in with their expertise.
10 - 12K would probably buy you an '04 with medium miles, 60 - 70K or so. Depends; winters a'coming (Nooooooooo!) & you may find some good deals around. Just be prepared to drive for one!
But, given the caveats this is still one helluva car for the price. You'll find nothing more fun, more head-turning or more satisfying for that kinda money. These cars are still one of the best kept secrets around!
.......and let's not even talk SRT............

Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBS: 9-Mar-04 - 21-002-04 - Manual Trans - First Gear Disengages During Normal Acceleration
TBS: 6-Jan-05 - 21-001-05 - Manual Trans - Gear Grind Sound When Shifting
Check out these two Tech Bulletins from the factory for the trans. I will try to find the no start thread when I have time.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Life is random...so am I.

The cost of upkeep and maintenance may seem high for a Chrysler........but it's really a Mercedes Benz SLK320 with a Chrysler body.

Now start comparing prices and you'll see what a bargain a Crossfire is right now.