Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

HELP with noise from behind the dashboard (AC Unit)

Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default HELP with noise from behind the dashboard (AC Unit)

Hi everyone... I have been lurking around this site for months and have enjoyed the information everyone has shared. I have a 05 base crossfire and have loved it since day one. I had it now 3 and a half years.

The latest problem is the AC unit. The AC unit runs perfectly as it should. The problem is when I turn it off either by the switch or if I turn the engine off while it is running. I hear a crackle and clunk. It practically shakes the dashboard. It almost sounds like the blower is slowing down and rattling because it is out of balance. It makes the noise for a couple of seconds and that is it. I think it also makes the noise when I first turn the fan on but it is very faint.

I have a max care extended waranty so it is covered. I just hate bringing it in to the dealership if it is something I can do myself. I read previous posts that leaves and stuff get in the motor. A month ago I did check the cabin filter and found leaves in it. That must mean they went through the blower first. I hate to admit it is still the same cabin filter that came with the car. I never knew it had one until a month ago. I just got a new MB filter and I am going to replace it this weekend. Could this noise be a result of having an old filter? Do you think the fan blower motor is bad? Or do you think there is dirt and leaves in there or something? I only hear the noise when I turn the fan off... not while it is running. Thanks guys!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP with noise from behind the dashboard (AC Unit)

One last thing... I am having trouble getting the new cabin filter in. It seems thicker than the original. Anyone else have that problem? It is the right part number because I checked with 2 dealerships. It should be tight but it will fit, right?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 448 Likes on 315 Posts

It does fit tightly as I recall.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I partially removed the bottom panel that hides the fan motor, there were alot of twigs and leaves and other debris that had to be cleaned out. So change the filter, clean out all the debris and everything should quiet down. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:32 PM

We heard noises in our air conditioning fan motor so I took it apart and cleaned out the filter AND the fan blade housing. We have a 2006 Crossfire, Roadster Limited

I was pretty sure it was leaves and I think the air intake design is bad cause it lets a lot of leaves get into the AC filter area and on into the fan housing

To remove these leaves you have to remove the glove compartment
1GloveCompartmenthousing3.jpg

3GloveCompartment1.jpg

2GloveCompartmenthousing2.jpg

6GloveCompartmenthousing5.jpg

8ShroudCoveringHeaterFan.jpg

And then drop the fan FILTER

12FanFilter.jpg

13FanFilterCoverWithClips.jpg

When we did this we saw tons of leaves in the filter. The filter drops down after you slide the white plastic holders aside

16FanFilterWithLeaves3.jpg

We also had leaves in the fan housing

18FanCoverRemoved.jpg

19FanWithCoverRemoved1.jpg

20FanWithCoverRemoved2.jpg

Whole job took about 2 hours

Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by HarleyGuy
We heard noises in our air conditioning fan motor so I took it apart and cleaned out the filter AND the fan blade housing. We have a 2006 Crossfire, Roadster Limited

I was pretty sure it was leaves and I think the air intake design is bad cause it lets a lot of leaves get into the AC filter area and on into the fan housing

Attachment 29017

Attachment 29018

Attachment 29019

Attachment 29020

Attachment 29021

And then drop the fan FILTER

Attachment 29022

Attachment 29023

When we did this we saw tons of leaves in the filter. The filter drops down after you slide the white plastic holders aside

Attachment 29024

Attachment 29025

Attachment 29026

Attachment 29027

Great write up and pics. I noticed when i have the AC on and step on the gas i get a whistling noise from the right side of the dash. If i let off it stops. Is this caused by filters clogged/leaves and junk?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:42 PM

I had a dead mouse fall out when I checked my cabin filter...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyGuy
I cleaned that area and changed the filter, and cannot see why you have to do that much work. Take out the glove box is not required unless you like work. You can even get at the fan.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:03 AM

Yes, it looks like I took way too much apart. And when I put it back the glove box door was not aligned just right so I had to take it all apart again.

Thank you for the input.