Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

Not sure what codes where because it was so many that it gave but basically he said several radom misfire or something of that nature..

Old 11-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

Originally Posted by syfi
Immediately get your car back from the mechanic. Go to this thread that explains how to fix the RCM. The board is easy to remove and find someone who can solder, or take it to an electronics repair shop (like a TV repair place) with a copy of the picture showing what points need resoldering, or just send it to Tighed1 for repair, who only charges $20 to repair it (your best bet)!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html
The people on this forum can save you a lot of money and hassle so I advise you to follow their directions....the RCM does NOT have to be rebuilt. Mine was just resoldered - it had six loose wires causing it to shut down once. Because I had read the crossie forum before it went out I knew what I had to do and told the mechanic what I wanted him to do. They really don't like women to know more than they do about certain things....glad you guys don't have ego issues!! I would take my car to another shop...these guys are rip offs..good luck. They are great little cars. Print out the paperwork about fixing the relay control module (RCM) and take it to a decent shop that works on german/foreign cars, and know about Crossies.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You could overnight it to Tighed1 - have him repair and overnight back quicker and cheaper. And he does test it to make sure your good to go.

tighed1 @ hotmail . com

Old 11-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
You could overnight it to Tighed1 - have him repair and overnight back quicker and cheaper. And he does test it to make sure your good to go.

tighed1 @ hotmail . com
------------------------------------
blkcross
If you spray starting fluid (or such) into the intake and she runs for a bit...

Could be the coil in the fuel pump relay in the RCM. (no fuel, no start)
Have seen more of these failing. $20 gets the RCM inspected, Mystery No Start repair, Air Pump relay replaced, Me So Horny mod (horn works w/o key). If the fuel pump relay needs replacing that's $5 more.
I then test your RCM in my car and then return to you via Priority Mail.

DJ

Old 11-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Forum Regular

Just shows that there are great people on this forum (too many names to mention), always there to assist. I am privileged to be a member and knowing that I can reach out for help. Thanks to all

Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 PM

Thanks to this forum, my 2005 got back on the road a couple years ago with 3 drops of solder on the RCM. Now the crankshaft positioning sensor is bad and my 'fire is like a FORD (found on road dead). I am awaiting the delivery of the new Bosch sensor and hope to install it myself. The instructions posted seem easy enough to follow but I have some concern due to hand strength. I tried the engine cover today and couldn't budge it, although I think I can work around it. I am a girl with small hands, but due to a disability I have limited hand strength. My question to you is how much strength is required, ie. how hard is hard in the instructions? Thanks for the help; this is the best forum on the web.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Donsgrl
Thanks to this forum, my 2005 got back on the road a couple years ago with 3 drops of solder on the RCM. Now the crankshaft positioning sensor is bad and my 'fire is like a FORD (found on road dead). I am awaiting the delivery of the new Bosch sensor and hope to install it myself. The instructions posted seem easy enough to follow but I have some concern due to hand strength. I tried the engine cover today and couldn't budge it, although I think I can work around it. I am a girl with small hands, but due to a disability I have limited hand strength. My question to you is how much strength is required, ie. how hard is hard in the instructions? Thanks for the help; this is the best forum on the web.
Are you a member of the Facebook group? It's more an immediate interaction and I know we have members in your area that might be able to assist you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2211655775/requests/

Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read so much about these cps going out in our cars ! How many miles on car when this generally happens ? Years or miles ? Should I just go ahead & replace mine now ?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Mahoney
I have read so much about these cps going out in our cars ! How many miles on car when this generally happens ? Years or miles ? Should I just go ahead & replace mine now ?
I don't think there's ever been a timeline determined as to when these start acting up. I had one go out on my 05 Limited @ 30K, but my SRT still has the original one @ almost 50K. I've read some have gone out around 15K and others never have the problem past 100K. If she's your daily driver I'd go ahead and get a back-up since they are cheap enough, and small enough to store onboard with the right tools to do the replacement, just in case you're out in the middle of nowhere!

Old 09-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Donsgrl
You have small hands so that is a plus, but the electrical connection is always difficult for me to separate. Even when I can see them and get a good grip they can be exacerbating. You might want to try this with the help of a friend.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:12 AM

Hi there,
I hope this will help.
How do you remove the decorative cover on a 2005 Crossfire engine?
Simply pull up on the engine cover it is held in by four clips i believe. The cover with pop off with little strength used to pull it out of the clips . Then slide it towards the windshield to remove the air intake hoses. BK

Old 09-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 388 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by rickpabon
Hi there,
I hope this will help.
How do you remove the decorative cover on a 2005 Crossfire engine?
Simply pull up on the engine cover it is held in by four clips i believe. The cover with pop off with little strength used to pull it out of the clips . Then slide it towards the windshield to remove the air intake hoses. BK

The manual (I believe) instructs you to pull the cover up from the rear (off the MAF tube) then take the front two off. I usually remove both air tubes before removing the cover, it makes the job easier (for me). Installation is the reverse, making sure the intake sets properly over the MAF tube before snapping down the cover. I use a slight dab of petroleum jelly on the rubber rings, helps in re-installation.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 AM

Picked up my 2004 with 83,000 miles on Monday and have stalled twice already. Symptoms are identical to what is described here. I'm going to replace the CPS first and see how it goes.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sirharper
Picked up my 2004 with 83,000 miles on Monday and have stalled twice already. Symptoms are identical to what is described here. I'm going to replace the CPS first and see how it goes.
If it's the CPS it will 9 times out of 10 trigger the Check Engine light after trying to crank it
about 5-10 unsuccessful attempts in other words the engine will turn over but the car will not start!
now on the other hand if you turn the key and nothing happens, no engine turning over
or anything other than the lights coming on, on the dash... then it's not your CPS
but your RMC the problem. Cheers!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

RCM, not RMC.
Here the RMC is the Regional Medical Center.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by BenzFire
If it's the CPS it will 9 times out of 10 trigger the Check Engine light after trying to crank it
about 5-10 unsuccessful attempts in other words the engine will turn over but the car will not start!
now on the other hand if you turn the key and nothing happens, no engine turning over
or anything other than the lights coming on, on the dash... then it's not your CPS
but your RMC the problem. Cheers!
What's happening is it runs fine then without warning just stalls. So far once on the Interstate (rush hour, middle lane, scary) and once at a red light. Both times I put it in park reinserted the key and it started right back up first try. Never any issues with starting it. I think I'll still try the CPS first but keep a close eye on the RMC also. I don't think fuel pump, I had a fuel pump problem on my Hemi and when it stalled it won't restart for hours.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:07 PM

I've replaced my crankshaft position sensor with 3 different ones. It stalls every time. 2 were the same brand and the most recent was a different brand. What am I doing wrong here?

Old 04-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004_
I've replaced my crankshaft position sensor with 3 different ones. It stalls every time. 2 were the same brand and the most recent was a different brand. What am I doing wrong here?
You must get the authentic Bosch brand CPS....

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...sor-0031532828

DSC00786.JPG DSC00787.JPG

Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM

You must get the authentic Bosch brand CPS....

Attachment 37232 Attachment 37233
Where can I get it? Amazon?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the source! I was having a heck of a time finding a place that sold the original Bosch part.

Quick Reply: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor