Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Stupid Newbie questions

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts
Default Re: Stupid Newbie questions

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
see what you started, now we are all naked and typing....
Nothing new for me, but did ANYONE want to know that?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Re: Stupid Newbie questions

Since I have only been in this forum for kike 24 hours - I don't believe I have any way or recourse to get upset about anything - Shawn K said that,

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Received 890 Likes on 694 Posts

Well, if you are gonna put LIMITS on what upsets you - you'll never get upset!

What fun would that be?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emforce
- I only have one key (How do I get another ? do I have to go to MB, Chrysler, or Fiat??). I see they sell them on EBay - but how do you get the programming ?? (as in "Gone in 60 Seconds" I assume?).

- I do believe the dealer (as in Nissan delaer) changed the oil in my "new" Crossfire with Dino oil - as the little sticker does not specify but does have a 3 month, 3000 mile change schedule - which would be Dino oil - will this hurt the engine - should I get some mobile 1 in it ASAP??

I am sure I will have a few more stupid questions - so please bare with me or bear with me - ? thanks.

Shawn
From what you've said, "Dino oil" I believe is referring to conventional motor oil, so yes, get a change IMMEDIATELY. There's a reason these things take a special type of special oil. It's a specific blend of synthetic. Check your manual.

Get it flushed if you can. You want to get as much of it out as you can.

And to answer your question, these cars follow the FSS system. The same place your trip odometer displays at will be the same place where the mileage you have left will display before you need to get your next oil change. Press in the pin on the left (the one you use to reset the trip odometer) twice, and you will see how much longer you have until you need to get it changed. Be aware that if you do not drive it often, it may display days instead of miles.

All of this can be found in your manual. If you don't have one, I recommend downloading one from the Chrysler site under the owners tab. You can get it in pdf form for free there.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks, it is sitting in my garage - I will drive it to get the oil changed to MB approved Synthetic on Fri. I do not know for sure that the Nissan dealer that I bought it from changed the oil with "Conventional" oil - but since I have no evidense otherwise - I have to assume they did- as a big price difference between 8.5 quarts of Dino oil and Mobile 1 - obviously this is right out of their pocket - sooooo..
I do hate it when they remove all old records, etc. when you buy a used car from a dealer - not sure what they are afraid of - and usually the manual too - have no manual (yes downloaded one), only one beat up key, and no maintenence records - oh the love getting a used car.

Shawn

Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

trust me, this is one used car you'll have fun with...

Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jackei
Yep, keys only from the Chrysler dealer, with the vin number and prove of ownership. should not be too expensive.
Be glad you're in the States... replacement keys here in Oz cost $550... That's about $460 in your money... Which is why I'm really careful with my only key

Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 AM

I did order a new key from an open Chrysler dealer yesterday- he was not competely sure how to do it - but finally got it done - $192 ; $206 with tax. Pay in advance of course - so hope the dealership stays open long enough to get my new key - he was not sure how long it would take- said up to 6 weeks - but I am pretty sure he was just guessing. I guess the good thing for our cars is that MB will probably not fold anytime soon.

Shawn

Originally Posted by Aprilia
Be glad you're in the States... replacement keys here in Oz cost $550... That's about $460 in your money... Which is why I'm really careful with my only key

Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Thumbs up Re: Stupid Newbie questions

Just wanted to let you guys know - got a call today from the dealer to tell me my new key was in - Damm -3 days from Germany- not bad.

Emforce

Originally Posted by emforce
I did order a new key from an open Chrysler dealer yesterday- he was not competely sure how to do it - but finally got it done - $192 ; $206 with tax. Pay in advance of course - so hope the dealership stays open long enough to get my new key - he was not sure how long it would take- said up to 6 weeks - but I am pretty sure he was just guessing. I guess the good thing for our cars is that MB will probably not fold anytime soon.

Shawn

Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 PM

One more stupid question - Every car is different I know - but I do have a 3 month , 3000 mile warrenty on this car -so was wondering if it is normal to have a somewhat loud noise coming for the rear area of the car - sounds somewhat like a window is slighly open - ? Is this normal - ??

shawn

Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 AM

Sounds like the "hatch rattle" problem. Been discussed a lot and is fairly common. Do a search and you will find some easy solutions for this.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 AM

Every 'oil change place' I've been to uses a window reminder sticker that suggests you return in 3k miles. This by itself does not prove that dino oil was used. They want you to return sooner and spend more money, either way. You need to ask them what they did to be sure.

I've spoken to a couple of Chrysler service managers and a couple of JiffyLube managers and done some Web research, and they ALL told me that dino oil will not hurt the engine, it just requires a 3k interval instead of 7.5k. Chrysler was trying to stretch/lower the maint costs on this car, hence the 100k sparkplugs etc.

I just picked up a new key for mine last Sat. The 'remote' will not work at first. You need to unlock the car with the physical key and start it up first. Then the computer will 'read' the key and the remote will work.

$172 including tax for the key, not as bad as I feared and the dealer I bought the car from is giving me a $100 service dept credit to compensate.

Good luck on your new ride...

Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Yes , thats what the Nissan "Techs"s said also - I was not sure and they may have just been covering their as5. so thought I'd get it changed asap just to be faithful to the manual - (Not that I actually have a manual yet). (yes I have the downloaded verssion -and thanks to whomever made the effort to do that - but I need a hard copy also - have one coming from Ebay for a kinda exorbedent fee).

EN4ce,
Shawn

[quotdan]Every 'oil change place' I've been to uses a window reminder sticker that suggests you return in 3k miles. This by itself does not prove that dino oil was used. They want you to return sooner and spend more money, either way. You need to ask them what they did to be sure.

I've spoken to a couple of Chrysler service managers and a couple of JiffyLube managers and done some Web research, and they ALL told me that dino oil will not hurt the engine, it just requires a 3k interval instead of 7.5k. Chrysler was trying to stretch/lower the maint costs on this car, hence the 100k sparkplugs etc.

I just picked up a new key for mine last Sat. The 'remote' will not work at first. You need to unlock the car with the physical key and start it up first. Then the computer will 'read' the key and the remote will work.

$172 including tax for the key, not as bad as I feared and the dealer I bought the car from is giving me a $100 service dept credit to compensate.

Good luck on your new ride...[/quote]