Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

6 speed transmission

Old 12-27-2003, 12:17 PM
mea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed transmission

I am new to the forum and have tried to read through, but have not seen this addressed. I am very interested in getting a Crossfire and have driven both the auto and 6 speed. I have also read in various publications comments on th e 6 speed as being "not real smooth". In my driving, I agree (but I drive a Miata and Audi that have slick shifters). This bothers me, as the auto is good-but I really prefer a standard shift. Any one drive one for awhile and have it smooth out and get better?Or should I wait till they "fix" this and get a really good 6 speed. Thanks

Old 12-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Default Re: 6 speed transmission

Originally Posted by mea
I am new to the forum and have tried to read through, but have not seen this addressed. I am very interested in getting a Crossfire and have driven both the auto and 6 speed. I have also read in various publications comments on th e 6 speed as being "not real smooth". In my driving, I agree (but I drive a Miata and Audi that have slick shifters). This bothers me, as the auto is good-but I really prefer a standard shift. Any one drive one for awhile and have it smooth out and get better?Or should I wait till they "fix" this and get a really good 6 speed. Thanks
I'm no connoisseur on manual transmissions, but I have no beef with the Crossfire 6 speed manual.

Old 12-27-2003, 06:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your looking to do some roadracing the manual is fine.

Old 12-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mea,

Not to turn you away from the Crossfire or the 6-Speed, I think it's a great car... but there are a few people, including myself, who are having problems with the manual transmission. 1st gear pops out of gear unexpectedly when accelerating. See posts on the subject under "Technical and Modifications" on the forum.

IMO... the 6-Speed "is not" a very smooth shifting transmission. Some of the reviews I've read on the car have also said the same thing.

I'm sure Chrysler will do the right thing to fix the 1st gear problem. It may take a little longer with the Crossfire being new model.

Fingers crossed and hoping for the best,

AJ Card
Mesa, AZ
SSB 6-Speed #2815

Old 12-28-2003, 07:57 AM
kusheen
Default clarification

Just to clarify and put things in perspective...

AZ Outlaws is one of the few experiencing the 1st gear problem. It IS a real problem in what appears to be a very small number of cars. It IS a big problem for those who are experiencing it, but AZ's statement that 'it pops out of 1st gear' is not precisely true. It has done that for what at this point seems to be a very small number of cars. The pattern also seems to be that for those cars that have the problem, it happens within the first few days/weeks; first few dozen/hundred miles. In other words, so far it seems like something that manifests itself very quickly if it's inclined to do it at all.

AZ also, unfortunately, seems to be getting the runaround from his dealer. On the thread he refers to, you'll also see that at least two of the posters having the same problem have had their transmissions replaced with little fuss, other than waiting for the box, by their helpful dealers, which apparently solved their problems.

I hope AZ can get his car straightened out. I feel very lucky to have a dealer who seems to really try to deliver good service. Apparently that is not the norm w/DC dealers.

Re smoothness. Well, to me it's like moving a hammer around in a bowl of rocks. 1st to 2nd seems especially notchy. The rest of the gears are a little stiff but not bad. No, it hasn't 'loosened up' in my 2400 miles.

I would say, though, that the 'hammer in rocks' feel probably accounts for at least a tenth of a second in 0-60 times for the 6 speed.

It reminds me very much of the notchy gear box in the 84 Esprit I had, but it's excuse was that the shifter had to work through a 6 foot rod to get back to the transaxle, thereby introducing some inevitable slop and notchiness. The Crossfire has no such excuse.

Old 12-28-2003, 08:26 AM

Did you folks drive the 6 speed before you bought them??? Just a question

Old 12-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Forum Regular
Default hmmmm

Remeber asking same Q's on here before i got mine, having driven both the auto is far better, never thought i'd say that but the manual is just notchy and the clutch is far too light, a slick change is not easy especially since 1st is a very short gear.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:42 AM
kusheen
Default just an answer

Yes, drove mine before I bought.

I noticed the shifter issue then. IF I was intending to autocross the car, or otherwise thrash it to where miliiseconds made a difference, I would have passed on the car on the basis of the notchy gearbox alone.

But I wasn't looking for a drag car or autocrosser (that's why I ordered the Elise). On balance, for ME, what the car does right outweighed the clunky gearbox, given my intended usage.

I know you autocross your car, and indicate you have had some success getting it around the cones and beating other sports cars. That may be more a function of your experience, as you describe it, than the capabilites of the car. You would have to admit that if the shifter were smoother, and steering more precise, you'd likely improve on what you indicate are already very good performances.

Old 12-28-2003, 10:37 AM

Trash the car??? If you know how to drive you won't trash the car autocrossing. I've autocrossed it once. It did GREAT!! ! And I've entered it in 2 shows.... My trophy to show ratio is 2 for 2.... Not bad for a "Trashed" car. I'm beginniing to thinkl that you don't understand that you can "Drive" a car and take care of it too. I do plan to autocross it a lot more this summer.

You treat yours like a Creampuff and I'll treat mine like it was designed to be treated!!!

BTW.... My "Auto-Stick" is smooth as a Baby's behind... :lol: And the torque converter locks up every bit has solid as a 6 speed's clutch. Just have to plan for the slight shift delay.

Old 12-28-2003, 10:48 AM
kusheen
Default reading glasses

Please reread...my post says 'tHrashed, not Trashed. There's a difference, a significant one at that.

I don't treat mine like a cream puff, when Spring hits it will see a Friday at the Track or two at Summit Point. Indeed I DO drive it as it was intended...as a good interstate cruiser. DC itself tones down the sports car aspect, and indeed refers to it not as a sports car but a sport coupe. Having fun opening it up at SP, but not competitively, is well within the intended envelope of the car.

Comparatively speaking it is not a sports car, but a very capable sports coupe.

Hey, do what you want with it, not saying not to. The original question was is the gearbox clunky. The answer is a definitive yes, especially if you value a smooth shift aesthetically, OR require a smooth shift if THRASHING the optimal performance from the car.

I too have entered it in one show, at Endless Summer (3000 cars) in OC, MD, and won a trophy. Whoopee. Threw it away.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:18 AM

I'll keep mine. I worked to get them. You sound like a real "know it all".... maybe when I grow up I'll know as much and be as wise as you!!!

kusheen wrote.... I too have entered it in one show, at Endless Summer (3000 cars) in OC, MD, and won a trophy. Whoopee. Threw it away.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:21 AM
kusheen
Default interesting

No doubt, you may find one or two folks here that agree with you, but...

You may want to reread YOUR posts. You might be surprised how YOU'RE viewed. 274 posts in 8 weeks!!! THERE'S a guy who's confident he has something important to say!

Hey, wasn't MY fault you didn't read my post the way it was written.

Oh, for some reason I thought you had a 6 speed, didn't really register with me that you had an auto.

Kinda puts your view of the 6 speed in perspective, seeing as how you don't actually have a first hand, informed opnion on it.

Never stopped you before.l

Old 12-28-2003, 11:37 AM
imported_mightyjlr

Keep it civil guys

Old 12-28-2003, 11:58 AM

I'll try. It's hard though when someone tells you that something won't work (like autocrossing the Xfire) and you know for a fact that it works very well..... If you have any talent for competetive driving at all. kusheen stepped in the first time I metioned autocrossing the car (like he's Bob Bonderant) and he hasn't let it go yet. I'm convinced he doesn't have a clue what he's driving and just how good a car it really is.

As for my number of posts.... Yes I do like to share my enthousiasm for this car with others..... So if that bothers him... I'm extremely sorry... But..........:lol:

As far as I'm concerned this is a dead subject.

Old 12-28-2003, 12:09 PM
kusheen
Default my last word on this

Mr Michaels, you are one very, very weird person. It does not appear that you actually read any of the posts to which you respond.

Strange, very strange.

God Bless you.

Old 12-28-2003, 12:11 PM

Give it rest...... I'm not going there with you any longer. I don't argue with rocks either. It's over!!!