Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Headliner woes

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headliner woes

The rear tires are new, less than 1,000 miles, fronts are still in good shape, but yes, I was in heavy rain and hitting puddles. Almost got snatched into the other lane, no traffic thankfully, but yes, the indicator was coming on - in "S". Haven't tried "W" yet.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

W is for this time of year....the only difference is that the car starts out in 2nd instead of 1st.....less likely to spin on take off....

Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I sent a message to Todd's, they said they would do it for $140 to $160 depending on the color.

Originally Posted by babiehop
Have an appt to take it in next week and it's going to cost $245. All of you who paid in ~ $100 range be glad that you have competition where you are. I also got estimates of $160 on the low end and $280 on the high end. Am taking it to Key's Uph. in the next county because I've heard good things about their work. Still can't find anything with butterflies or flower prints, but oh, well. Nobody considers the girls when making this fabric. Was reallly glad to know for certain from info on here that the seats do not have to be removed.
On another note, almost got taken out (stop drooling if you need parts) by a hot-rodding Mustang yesterday and almost gave him the Italian "peace sign". Just glad mine is as quick and manuerverable as she is ! Anyone have comments on the S/W traction control switch on the gear stick ? A/T, drove in the rain for the first time and think I probably should have used it.

ann

Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 PM

BillF, thanks - was in touch with them also, but got word of mouth reference for Key's(the other name you gave me) so am willing to pay a little more even though I have no reason to think Todd's wouldn't do a good job. Will also stay while it's done rather than to leave it overnight as suggested.
Since today there was a "Homecoming" at the Charlotte motor speedway for Vietnam veterans I would also like to tell you personally how much I appreciate your service to our country. It's too little and much too late, but very much heartfelt.

MikeR, well, phooey, that's no fun ! I admit I need to do more reading, have only skimmed the surface it seems. Have even been tempted to use the manual disable traction control button for those little patches of pinestraw at the stopsign on my way to work, but I might like it a little too much - okay, w-w-wa-a-y-y too much !! Not trying to burn up my nice new 19's or to go back to being that junkie.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Okay, have reconsidered and cancelled with Key's and am going to Todd's, afterall, how badly can you go wrong re-doing a headliner (please say not very) I suppose the dome light could be at risk. Not trying to go on the cheap, but $85 will buy one cute pair of shoes. .....another weakness, besides rear wheel drive. Fingers crossed ..........and toe nails painted.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of XF owners have headliner problems. I don't right now..

Is there a way to prevent these problems?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockbasses
Is there a way to prevent these problems?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, stay North of the Mason Dixon Line. It's cooler.

Just like the roadsters rear window, all the coupes headliners will eventually let go as well. But I think it's more likely to happen sooner than later in the warmer climates.
When the 1st. Roadster rear windows failed, I noticed that most of the reports were from the Southern states, or from cars that originally came from Southern states.
When owners started reporting headliners falling, again it seemed like the biggest majority were from the hotter climates.
I'm wondering if more headliners fail on darker colored cars 1st. since darker colors absorb the heat of the sun, while the lighter colors reflect the suns rays.

Last edited by +fireamx; 04-30-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Yes, stay North of the Mason Dixon Line. It's cooler.

Just like the roadsters rear window, all the coupes headliners will eventuall let go as well. But I think it's more likely to happen sooner than later in the warmer climates.
When the 1st. Roadster rear windows failed, I noticed that most of the reports were from the Southern states, or from cars that originally came from Southern states.
When owners started reporting headliners falling, again it seemed like the biggest majority were from the hotter climates.
I'm wondering if more headliners fail on darker colored cars 1st. since darker colors absorb the heat of the sun, while the lighter colors reflect the suns rays.
Thanks for your reply. I live in the north, and the XF stays in the garage! I will look for shade when parking if I can!

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Forum Regular

I went through this saga because the dealer ripped my headliner. They refused to replace the headliner with a new one and sent the car out to be repaired by a local upholsterer. If it wasn't for the dealer choosing to use a headliner of the wrong texture (it was slightly fuzzy), the upholstery guy did a great job with the repair.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Was able to have the headliner re-covered successfully, perfectly matched and took less than hour & half. Still considering finding a material to go over the headliner material - something with flowers or butterflies.
I think a big part of the problem with the edge coming loose was that is was not wrapped around any extra from the factory, something the upholstery shop (Todd's in Sanford, NC) did to help it last, but so far as the bubble that was falling down in the middle of the passenger area, the foam was completely disintegrated underneath.
The car originally came from Florida, then went to Viriginia, so climate likely did play a part, but the fabric is ash gray, although the most of the interior is charcoal gray.
I have a 2000 chevy s10 pickup and the original headliner is still in really good shape, so I was surprised that this happened in my '05 Crossfire, but am doing what I can to take care of her. It's a love thing.