Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Front License Plate - 'No Holes' Wanted

Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate - 'No Holes' Wanted

Hey guys,
I just bought a beautiful SRT-6 last week and I'm loving it. It's so beautiful, in fact, that I'm hoping to avoid putting holes in it for the front license plate... I live in Virginia, which requires that it be "attached," so just putting the plate in the front window or whatever is out of the question. What have you guys been doing to get around these stupid rules? I saw a couple of posts mentioning things like Amazon.com: Show N Go License Plate Holder: Automotive and 'NO HOLES' LPB Kit - GoMiniGo-Home of Innovative Products for your car. Does anyone know if they work? Any other suggestions? I look forward to being part of this community and seeing what everyone has to say! Thanks.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front License Plate - 'No Holes' Wanted

No help here....but, welcome to the forum!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

I'm no help, either. A LOT of the cars at the Dragon have front plates, I think most have them RIGHT in the middle and they just live with it.

We have no requirement in Georgia.... but my car has two small holes from when it was in Arizona and/or Oregon. I don't let it get me down.

(But the FIRST option you posted sounds like a better idea to me.)

Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is one of the best that I've seen.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...php?photo=7583

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up an SRT bumper with no holes so I'm going to first try my luck with no plate up front (required in MA)... if I get pulled over I'll make up an excuse about parts being out of stock etc etc and if it comes down to it, I'll probably get the motorized hide-away plate holder

Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder [motoplatehold] - $150.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here

Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by rayth
I just picked up an SRT bumper with no holes so I'm going to first try my luck with no plate up front (required in MA)... if I get pulled over I'll make up an excuse about parts being out of stock etc etc and if it comes down to it, I'll probably get the motorized hide-away plate holder

Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder [motoplatehold] - $150.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here
I bought my car from PA, so it had no front license plate and I wasnt going to drill into it. So I bought the same hide away license plate, just the non motorize one and it wouldnt fit properly when i was test fitting it so I never put it on. Maybe yours would fit better since its the SRT bumper, which is prob a little flatter then the stock bumper which has a weird angle to it. I have had no issues with police in NJ in the 3 months I have had my car and I mean I have drove by a cop car sitting on my streett at 25 miles an hour and he did nothing. The DMV doesn't require it for inspection anymore so I think cops don't really care anymore. Car looks better with no front plate anyway in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by uknowhim21
I bought my car from PA, so it had no front license plate and I wasnt going to drill into it. So I bought the same hide away license plate, just the non motorize one and it wouldnt fit properly when i was test fitting it so I never put it on. Maybe yours would fit better since its the SRT bumper, which is prob a little flatter then the stock bumper which has a weird angle to it. I have had no issues with police in NJ in the 3 months I have had my car and I mean I have drove by a cop car sitting on my streett at 25 miles an hour and he did nothing. The DMV doesn't require it for inspection anymore so I think cops don't really care anymore. Car looks better with no front plate anyway in my opinion.
Were you trying to mount it all the way under the bumper? My concern is with it getting ripped off going over a speedbump or something.. I was going to see if I could find some space in the lower bumper openings

Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 PM

Were you trying to mount it all the way under the bumper? My concern is with it getting ripped off going over a speedbump or something.. I was going to see if I could find some space in the lower bumper openings
There is only one depth you can mount it because when the license plate comes out it has to have the room to flip up. The issue is there isnt much plastic under neath the bumper where the mounting bracket goes except for in the middle if I remember correctly and I only wanted it on the side under the fog lamps. The license plate ripping off from a steep driveway or speedbump was the other thing I worried about cuz it will happen or scrape, still screwing up the license plate, cuz when under the bumper its another half inch or so lower to the ground.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have posted this in two previous threads and have received zero responses, even though this is the cheapest and most effective way to mount the front license plate without drilling.

See my posts in this thread with picture.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ate-texas.html

Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrobinso
I have posted this in two previous threads and have received zero responses, even though this is the cheapest and most effective way to mount the front license plate without drilling.

See my posts in this thread with picture.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ate-texas.html
How obvious is the 3m stuff when you take the plate off?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Forum Regular

How obvious is the 3m stuff when you take the plate off?
Don't understand the question. You mean if you are driving around without the front plate on?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM

I think he means after you take the plate off, is there any residue, paint damage, or whatever from the 3m tape, or does it come off cleanly?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by NoRestForWicked
I think he means after you take the plate off, is there any residue, paint damage, or whatever from the 3m tape, or does it come off cleanly?
That, and if you take the plate off (but leave the 3m on), does the stuff on the bumper stand out a lot or would you not really be able to tell from, say, ten feet?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Front License Plate - 'No Holes' Wanted

I live in VA and I got the front mount and screwed it in, its just a(nother) car...
Anyway rather than get noticed or a ticket, just make a simple bracket to hold it, the tag is light and a pair of struts from the bottom will anchor the plate just fine. Its a simple thing to bend some supports. Woody

Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NoRestForWicked
Comes off cleanly. Buy the stuff off eBay, it is dirt cheap.

And I think ti comes in different colors, but predominantly is sold in a clear color. Depending on the color of your car, it would be visible until about 20 feet away. That said, I would much rather have that and pay $3 for the 3M stickies than pay $80 for one of those euro brackets. Plus, I was worried more about resale than anything else so the 3M stickies were perfect. Even if it does take a little paint off eventually, I can just touch that up for a few bucks and you won't even notice (my car is black though so that is easy to do).

Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM

I put holes in my bumper to mount plate. Car will never be sold. The plate will be Historical...... gary

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just took a look at mine.. |---

A bracket shaped like this to mount above the lower grill would work pretty good - two legs going back to "split around" the center vertical part.... holes would be on the bottom side of the nose and never seen when removed unless you were running over somebody. Something they should have done in the first place.. then I wouldn't have holes on the front of mine!

Thinking about it.. one could mount "shelf" brackets to the oem holder and achieve this...