Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Need some help with the airbag system

Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with the airbag system

I'm rebuilding a collision damaged 2005 SRT6 roadster (light front end damage). I also bought a 2004 coupe (light rear end damage) for parts.

Yesterday I removed my dash cover from the SRT6 and removed the blown airbag. I also removed the good dash cover from my parts car and removed the airbag. I reinstalled the airbag in the SRT6 and plugged in the electrical connection. I also fitted the good dash cover on the SRT6 and started to secure it back in. The battery is still disconnected.

Is there an airbag control module that I need to swap out as well? If so, where is it located? Does it need to be reprogrammed? If so, would that be through the OBDII connection? Am I okay to make the battery connection now?

Do you have any information or experience replacing airbags?

Thanks much, Mark

Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts
Default Re: Need some help with the airbag system

Download the service manuals from our "SRT" section and go to page 80-1 and start reading.

In 3 1/2 years here, I can honestly say I don't EVER remember someone asking such a question!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PizzaGuy, Thanks for the reply. I down loaded the manual and have been reading, and will keep reading. It does have more info than alot of manuals, but these types of manuals usually don't go into service work especially for hazardous systems such as airbags. I don't they will advise on how to replace, or how to troubleshoot or repair a system.

For as many salvage Crossfires that I see on ebay and on Insurance Auto Auction websites, I'm surprised that no one is asking questions about airbag replacements. I also couldn't find the topic through search in the forum or in the TSB section.

Was that a stupid question? Is the answer so simple? Or has it just not been asked.

Thanks much for the help. I've still got a lot of reading to do. I don't want to buttom up the dash cover until I'm confident that I don't have to open her up again.

Mark

Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Received 888 Likes on 692 Posts

Supposedly, that is the manual for dealers to service these cars. That's all I know, if there is anything else out there, SOMEONE will show up in this thread and set us right.
Just be patient!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Download the service manuals from our "SRT" section and go to page 80-1 and start reading.

In 3 1/2 years here, I can honestly say I don't EVER remember someone asking such a question!
Where have you been?
The manuals and all the other info was moved to the TSB's and How to forum a while back.

I am not saying I know anything about air bags as they are safety items but .... I cannot see why they need to be programed, the impact sensor probably should be changed as well, maybe it is damaged.

But look for info from someone who knows for sure. Do not connect the battery until you have everything hooked up, or you will need a trip to the dealer for reprogramming.

Cars with blown bags are generally scrapped so we do not hear of any fixes.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-01-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The control module is in the center console. There have been a few recent threads on this....