Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New Xfire owner, a few questions!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Xfire owner, a few questions!

Welp here's my story. I own a 2007 Solar Orange 350z (6speed) and before that I owned a 2005 Neon SRT4 (stage2, with bolt ons). A few days ago my aunt called my mother and told her she has a 2004 White Crossfire with 10k miles sitting in her garage that was her ex husbands (before he died a few months back) and she wanted to give me the car. Of course I said YESSSSSS, so im pretty stoked and have been reading up on these cars. I understand its not going to be as fast as my Z or even SRT4 but still fun none the less.

So my question is what should I expect from the car?

Its a 2004 but only with 10k miles, garage kept, barely used only during the summer/special occasions. He bought it new in 2006 from the dealer and just never drove it, used all of his other cars, but kept up on maintenance and all that.

Its quite literally, in MINT condition.

The other thing im worried about is its a 5 speed auto, which I havent driven since I was in high school (now im in my mid 20's).

How is the Auto in this thing? Does it feel sporty?

Are there things I should be looking out for with this car? especially since its a 2004. Should I go synthetic oil as soon as I get the car? (mobile 1).

Hows the handling on these things?

I do not have the car in my possession yet, she has to drive it down to NY from her house upstate when it gets a bit nicer out since I dont want to drive it in the snow/salt.

Im so stoked, I love the look of these cars and never imagined id get handed one for free with such low mileage.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: New Xfire owner, a few questions!

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post721105

Transmission tidbit in this thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Received 386 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTtoZ
Welp here's my story... I do not have the car in my possession yet, she has to drive it down to.....

If you have any reservations on this affair, call (by PM) me and I can fly up there to relieve you of this burden immediately. In my opinion, you should go get that car, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS FREE! But if thats a problem, ask your mom and aunt if I can come get it for me (for free)...

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 01-28-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
If you have any reservations on this affair, call (by PM) me and I can fly up there to relieve you of this burden immediately. In my opinion, you should go get that car, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS FREE! But if thats a problem, ask your mom and aunt if I can come get it for me (for free)...
My aunt is driving it down, not my mother. I am getting it, but when she gives it to me, I'm not going to go get it without her permission, so I am not quite sure what you're confused about??

I was trying to get advice about the car and whatnot, not sure why you got stuck on the part about the background of the car....

I just threw in the part about not having it yet because I was asking questions that would be easily answered if I had the car in my possession. I have to wait a few weeks before I get it.

Sorry if the writing was confusing, I was typing fast and trying to give background on the situation.

Last edited by SRTtoZ; 01-28-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Forum Regular

Congratulations and good luck with the car. You will love it. Only drawback not too good in winter weather. Enjoy!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 04. The car is fun, quick, handles very well and I absolutely love it. As far as the 5 speed auto stick, I opted for the auto instead of the manual for a number of reasons (traffic, etc.). I have a lot of fun with it and actually shift it manually quite often. I have no issues with it. It still provides the opportunity for some enhanced driving experiences but also let's you just cruize and enjoy the ride if you choose too.

These transmissions are solid. Only issues I know about is the transmission connector leak. It happened to me. It's a $50 part and pretty easy to do yourself if you are so inclined. If not, it's about $150 or so at a dealer as long as they can get it out (read up on it on the forum).

As far as comparison to your other cars..........we'll that will be up to you to decide. I know you can mod these cars and up the horsepower of a NA up to about 265 hp. I've only added the K&N high flow filters but I've also had it Eurocharged. My alledged hp is up to 240 and that's without the needswings dual CAI's and the higher flow MAP intake. Anyway, my car feels quick and handles very well. I'm completely happy with it. It's german engineering so...............you will likely notice the difference between this an your Z.

Good luck with it. This forum is great.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll see a lot less Crossfires than you do Z's... the rarity is a form of enjoyment all its own (I recently drove round trip from MA to CA and only spotted 5 total in the 7,500+ miles I drove)

Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by rayth
You'll see a lot less Crossfires than you do Z's... the rarity is a form of enjoyment all its own (I recently drove round trip from MA to CA and only spotted 5 total in the 7,500+ miles I drove)
And that in itself is why I'm glad a came across mine before getting serious about paying for a "new" camaro.. they are everywhere you look.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rayth
(I recently drove round trip from MA to CA and only spotted 5 total in the 7,500+ miles I drove)
I hadn't seen another one in over a year. Had to go out and buy one out of state to see another.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

My aunt is driving it down, not my mother. I am getting it, but when she gives it to me, I'm not going to go get it without her permission, so I am not quite sure what you're confused about??

I was trying to get advice about the car and whatnot, not sure why you got stuck on the part about the background of the car....

I just threw in the part about not having it yet because I was asking questions that would be easily answered if I had the car in my possession. I have to wait a few weeks before I get it.

Sorry if the writing was confusing, I was typing fast and trying to give background on the situation.
You are not confused, GG ( GraphiteGhost ) is. He is always looking for something free, but he was just kidding. I know him enough to say that.

You will like it as-is, and you will enjoy the 5 speed auto, ( it can also be manually shifted ).
The best bang for the buck upgrade on the N/A ( Normally Aspirated as opposed to the SRT6 Supercharged model ) is :
1. a 74mm throttle body upgrade. ( around $75 - $100 )
2, a NeedsWings single CAI ( you can go dual if you like, but that's just for the 'bling' on the N/A ( according to Rob at NeedsWings - $449.95 )
3. A EuroCharged tune. ( currently $549.95 + $100 cable, but they usually have a sale about once a year - I got mine for $299 total )

If you are into FAST response, you can look at a Sprint Booster - $289.99 ( makes you THINK you have 50 extra HP )

NOTE: It should have ALWAYS had Mobil1 0-40, that is the factory recommendation )

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
You are not confused, GG ( GraphiteGhost ) is. He is always looking for something free, but he was just kidding. I know him enough to say that.

Yeah it was my sad attempt at not only humor but also a congratulatory abstract joke that you should not wait for someone else to bring it to you but to run right up there and get it because the quicker you get it the more fun you'll have. Sorry if I screwed that all up in my convoluted post. You will enjoy this car immensely! Congrats! but if you don't want her, please PM me and I'll come get her! He he he he he

Gotta get those first dibbs in, even if its not gonna happen! But what if it does???

Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM

Wow GG.. generous of you!

Bet you'd even re-emburse him his full price no matter how many miles he puts on it.. LOL

Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Wow GG.. generous of you!

Bet you'd even re-emburse him his full price no matter how many miles he puts on it.. LOL

Of course, I am such a 'stand-up' guy! Maybe even a tip as well...

Old 01-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Of course, I am such a 'stand-up' guy! Maybe even a tip as well...
If you talk real nice, perhaps he'll even deliver it to you if you cover the cost of the gas ....

O !!! wait, wait : I think you may have found your free climate control unit, even if it does have a car still attached to it ....

Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM

Wow thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the feedback and am definitely looking forward to driving this, especially considering how rare they are. One of the greatest things about the Z is you dont see TOO many, but I think ive run across maybe 1 or 2 crossfires in the past few years.

I am definitely going to mod it, but just the basic bolt ons, then wheels, stereo, tint etc. Ill probably go eurotune and then CAI and maybe throttlebody. The one thing I KNOW I will appreciate most is the interior with leather seats and all the options, since my Z is just the enthusiast model which is cloth everything and power nothing.

Last but not least, the White is sexy as hell.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM

Last but not least, the White is sexy as hell.
Looks like I got me a new buddy on the forum!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 AM

2 questions :
1. Why SRTtoZ and not ZtoSRT ?
2. Why SRT at all ? this is an N/A ( there were NO 2004 SRT6's )

At any rate, just pulling your chain, I agree with MrMiata ( GULP !!! - that's never happened before ) in welcoming you.
( BTW: MrMiata needs all the buddies he can get - it's lonely out there in Oklahoma )

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM

Now wait a minute.. I think there was one time back in..umm never mind..

I think I'm the only active Tulsa area member here though.. But I'm going to miagrate south for TMS this fall and meet a few of the crowd!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire

You will like it as-is, and you will enjoy the 5 speed auto, ( it can also be manually shifted ).
The best bang for the buck upgrade on the N/A ( Normally Aspirated as opposed to the SRT6 Supercharged model ) is :
1. a 74mm throttle body upgrade. ( around $75 - $100 )
2, a NeedsWings single CAI ( you can go dual if you like, but that's just for the 'bling' on the N/A ( according to Rob at NeedsWings - $449.95 )
3. A EuroCharged tune. ( currently $549.95 + $100 cable, but they usually have a sale about once a year - I got mine for $299 total )

If you are into FAST response, you can look at a Sprint Booster - $289.99 ( makes you THINK you have 50 extra HP )

NOTE: I should have ALWAYS had Mobil1 0-40, that is the factory recommendation )
Just wanted to thank you for providing the info. I am new as well and was looking for this info. Hopefully I wont hijack this but any recommendation on suspension? and how to check if they are bad. Mine feels weird going over a pot hole.. it feels like someone slapped the car from back (right to left).

Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you might need a new steering dampener.

RL

Quick Reply: New Xfire owner, a few questions!