Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Screeching noise from Engine...

Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Screeching noise from Engine...

For a few months a screeching noise likened to dragging your fingernails over a chalk board has been comming from my engine bay...

I posted about this a few weeks ago..... and tried the good advice recieved, but the horrible noise is still there, and is takes 2 minutes of run time to start happening

It is NOT...
*Not the clutch, as it does it some times when the engine is comming down in revs out of gear or between gear changes - up or down.
*Not the little fan in the fuse box next to the battery, as i've popped a lolly stick in the fan blades and stopped this fan, not this either.
*Not the blower on the front of the engine, as I stripped this, cleaned the brushes, changed the bearings and re-assembled = even removed the device completely from the vehicle - still screeches..

Have pondered that is may be a resonant sound from somthing triggered by engine vibration that will change dependant on engine load or acceleration/decelleration.... maybe....possibly....

I'm at a loss now...

Generally the screech occurs at minute throttling above cruise, in any gear, some times on decelleration, and some times continues a while but quieter when the vehicle is stationary and out of gear too...

the noise increases dramatically when minor throttling is applied in any gear... however not enough throttle to accelerate at any rate will still produce the screech, and when the vehicle has run for say 30 minutes or more the screech is always there but changes slightly as power or revs or speed change... though not always predictable.....

So, it's NOT necessarily engine load or rev speed increase related, NOT gear related or clutch related....
Its NOT the main radiator cooling fan either...

The engine belt pulley bearings are all recently new, belt does not slip and is dry

I'm wondering about an air leak of vacuum or pressure some where past a hot rubber pipe, creating the sound when you can
(humour me here) blow past a piece of grass between your thumbs and make a squawk sound....
Maybe its a blow-past a pipe some place ???

Any one got any clues, as this noise is an embarrasment from a car like this in town...

HELP PLEASE......

Regards to all
Grant

Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Screeching noise from Engine......

I once capped off the large left side engine breather hose on both ends.
( my thinking was that it was dumping oil fumes into the throttle body / intake manifold, but Rob at NeedsWings set me straight on this. )
Anyway, the end result was that after several days ( as a matter of fact, on the trip to the Dragon last spring ), I could have sworn the water pump was going out, the screeching was just as you describe.
It was sucking air into the intake around the poorly sealed opening.
You may have a split or something like that in one or more of the engine breather hoses.
Worth checking anyway.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Default Re: Screeching noise from Engine......

Many thanks ALAXFIRE.

will investigate this tomorrow.

regards
Grant B

Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Default Re: Screeching noise from Engine...

Hi Alaxfire,
removed the engine cover and filters, still screeches,
Sprayed oil on the fan belt, still screeches...

Noticed a tiny crack in the end of the ?

it's -2' C here now and getting dark, so will look into this tomorrow.

Any other ideas a welcomed..

Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Screeching noise from Engine...

Woodys old school trick.

Get a length of garden hose or other soft tubing, plug it into your good ear ( better ) and use the hose to sniff the sound out. Powerful assistance in a hose, a real detective tool and you dont get your hair or other body parts into the fan belt. Wdy

Let us know, form the old guy.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Screeching noise from Engine...

PS its a pulley bearing Id bet. WW

Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM

All the pulley bearings are changed,
cannot use the tube trick - tho a fab idea, as the screech stops when the vehicle is stationary, or dies off when the enegine load is removed, even if the vehicle is free wheeling.

Once you actually stop, the noise only continues for a short while, then ceases about a minute later..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantB
Hi Alaxfire,
removed the engine cover and filters, still screeches,
Sprayed oil on the fan belt, still screeches...

Noticed a tiny crack in the end of the ?

it's -2' C here now and getting dark, so will look into this tomorrow.

Any other ideas a welcomed..
Sprayed oil on the fan belt? That's tough to do as we do not have one. LOL Do not put anything on the serpentine belt.

Tiny crack in the ? We all have one.

-2'C ?, you mean -2°C
To get the ° symbol, hold down the 'alt' key and press the 0,1,7 and 6 keys on the key pad on the right of the keyboard.

You may have new pulleys but what about the water pump, the alternator and the AC compressor?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Well, One hundred 80....

What a lot of tosh.... haven't you got anything better to belly-ache about...

WHo actually cares about the totally wonderful punctuation, the precision of phrase etc...

Yes we know its an alternator belt/serpentine belt, and as I mentioned before NOT the pulleys as I changed bearings in everything - so maybe YOU kneed to learn to read, not just write ???

Any way, enough of this pedantic balony...

Many thanks to the guys here for good and educated suggestions and help with this noise...

I did identify a couple of new problems with the car - totally unrelated - like for example, I discovered I could actually BLOCK the two air ram-Tube intakes with my palms that feed the Engine cover / air filter box...... and air still gets to the engine ....
It's getting in there some how, need to check this out urgently now....

The SCREECHING noise.... turned out to be nothing mechanical or Air Induction related....

Actually a weld had fractured on the right had down-pipe support bracket under the drivers seat/footwell area, after the cats, but Before the 2 into 1 join of the Resonators...
The pipe's micro amount of movement rubbing against the bracket weld that broke was the sole culprit..

I checked a friends Xfire also this afternoon, and welds on both L & R brackets on his machine were cracked, but not broken thru, so maybe this is a point we all need to observe at some point.

A long spell unsupported could possibly result in Cat damage from fatigue - and a lot more expensive.

10 minutes with the mig welder tomorrow will have this fixed.

Many thanks guys for your input, as it helped nail the issue.

Reagrds
Grant B

Last edited by GrantB; 03-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Well, One hundred 80....

What a lot of tosh.... haven't you got anything better to belly-ache about...

WHo actually cares about the totally wonderful punctuation, the precision of phrase etc...

Yes we know its an alternator belt/serpentine belt, and as I mentioned before NOT the pulleys as I changed bearings in everything - so maybe YOU kneed to learn to read, not just write ???

Any way, enough of this pedantic balony...

Many thanks to the guys here for good and educated suggestions and help with this noise...

I did identify a couple of new problems with the car - totally unrelated - like for example, I discovered I could actually BLOCK the two air ram-Tube intakes with my palms that feed the Engine cover / air filter box...... and air still gets to the engine ....
It's getting in there some how, need to check this out urgently now....

The SCREECHING noise.... turned out to be nothing mechanical or Air Induction related....

Actually a weld had fractured on the right had down-pipe support bracket under the drivers seat/footwell area, after the cats, but Before the 2 into 1 join of the Resonators...
The pipe's micro amount of movement rubbing against the bracket weld that broke was the sole culprit..

I checked a friends Xfire also this afternoon, and welds on both L & R brackets on his machine were cracked, but not broken thru, so maybe this is a point we all need to observe at some point.

A long spell unsupported could possibly result in Cat damage from fatigue - and a lot more expensive.

10 minutes with the mig welder tomorrow will have this fixed.

Many thanks guys for your input, as it helped nail the issue.

Reagrds
Grant B
I just told you how to get the degree symbol on the keyboard, not to spray your belt, and you changed the bearings not the pulleys and you thought I was giving you a lesson. Your the one who needs to learn to read. You stupid sod, I was joking in my post as well, you know using LOL and .
You can't be British as you have no sense of f'ing humor, get stuffed.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 PM

Onehundred80....
Oh dear, you truly are a....... a bit slack ...
And you should learn to read your native language....

ie, the bearings are in the pulley wheels - which I changed - eyes rolling to heaven... again and bemused...

And more to the point, you had to swear on this forum with "F" words.... just how low do you sink ???
Swearing here is totally unnecessary, low, second rate, shallow, pretty stupid and downright indecent on this excellent web-site.....
Between the Americans and the English, we have forged a brilliant language, and on this site there is no room or need for your foul gratuities and poor language - grow up, or clear off, and let us men do the talking..... as gents do.......

Additionally, If you are the best that our British nation has to offer, and this is the best you can do..... then I am ashamed to be a part of it, for the last 27 generations..... a poor show for us all, shame on you !

At least in the States -
someone can simply shoot you for being an insulting idiot..... me likes this idea...

May I politely request that you keep your foul language and insults for some place else - maybe a **** site ? where you may feel more suited and at home with the disgusting content possibly ???

========================

In hunting out the squeek/screech noises and good ideas from the members here, I learned lots, many parts were serviced and their lifetimes lengthened, and I found a few things needing attention that will keep my X'fire running well for longer.

Many thanks to the guys who left helpful, useful & polite suggestions - English and Americans - great help thankyou all....... except for just the one rude Fool... a British one... tut tut...

Have a good weekend, safe driving Gents & Ladies.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Onehundred80....
Oh dear, you truly are a....... a bit slack ...
And you should learn to read your native language....

ie, the bearings are in the pulley wheels - which I changed - eyes rolling to heaven... again and bemused...

And more to the point, you had to swear on this forum with "F" words.... just how low do you sink ???
Swearing here is totally unnecessary, low, second rate, shallow, pretty stupid and downright indecent on this excellent web-site.....
Between the Americans and the English, we have forged a brilliant language, and on this site there is no room or need for your foul gratuities and poor language - grow up, or clear off, and let us men do the talking..... as gents do.......

Additionally, If you are the best that our British nation has to offer, and this is the best you can do..... then I am ashamed to be a part of it, for the last 27 generations..... a poor show for us all, shame on you !

At least in the States -
someone can simply shoot you for being an insulting idiot..... me likes this idea...

May I politely request that you keep your foul language and insults for some place else - maybe a **** site ? where you may feel more suited and at home with the disgusting content possibly ???

========================

In hunting out the squeek/screech noises and good ideas from the members here, I learned lots, many parts were serviced and their lifetimes lengthened, and I found a few things needing attention that will keep my X'fire running well for longer.

Many thanks to the guys who left helpful, useful & polite suggestions - English and Americans - great help thankyou all....... except for just the one rude Fool... a British one... tut tut...

Have a good weekend, safe driving Gents & Ladies.

Taking me to task for telling you how to type a symbol and take it as an insult confounds me, we try and help one another here or had you forgotten.

My opinion of you is probably the same as your ex wife has. Even joking about chopping off her head should set alarm bells ringing.
Ha Ha, I'd gladly chop off my ex-wife's head in it, or maybe some has some plans for a propper guillotine, so I don't get her gooey slime blood on my lovely car ??

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-15-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GrantB ..... I see you have joined the forum in May of 2012, and we welcome you and your inputs about our great car. But, if you hang around long enough, you will learn that Dave (Onehundred80) is considered our "Crossfire Godfather" and has contributed more information, and answered more questions then ANYONE on this forum. Witness the almost 10000 posts that he has rung up. Dave is an OLD crouchy fella, (not as old as I), and has a unique and acid sense of humor.
I mean no disrespect, but I think you will find him a really nice, stand up person, and you being a relative 'newbie" here, should take a step back, and see what he's really like. Just sayin .....

Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
GrantB ..... I see you have joined the forum in May of 2012, and we welcome you and your inputs about our great car. But, if you hang around long enough, you will learn that Dave (Onehundred80) is considered our "Crossfire Godfather" and has contributed more information, and answered more questions then ANYONE on this forum. Witness the almost 10000 posts that he has rung up. Dave is an OLD crouchy fella, (not as old as I), and has a unique and acid sense of humor.
I mean no disrespect, but I think you will find him a really nice, stand up person, and you being a relative 'newbie" here, should take a step back, and see what he's really like. Just sayin .....
Thanks for that, I just told him how to do something and he gets his knickers in a knot. Then he rants on in another post today about chopping his EX wife's head off, nice guy.

No wonder he's still looking for contacts in the South of England, I'm sure they all wish they lived in the North.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 AM

Me a newbie or not is irrelavent.....

Actually I arrived a few years ago under a different name, relocated, new computer and new mail address, and lost my password, so in reality have possible been here longer !!

If onehundred80 is that respectable, why is it he is stooping so low and using profane chavvy language on a public web site....

For that alone, he should be struck off.... no exceptions. Foul language is the lowest scummy base point you can reach on the internet or any where else. We all cuss occasionally - but here ???
Whether he is an old grouchy git or not is not the point - FF'ing and blinding here is not acceptable...

Or are you telling me that: Filth and swearing here is acceptable ? Hope not !!!

Point made.... he looses, that simple. Grow up, use some basic common decency, or clear off.

If he swears, FFF's and is insulting in his posts, then it may be surprising if he's not had all his teeth knocked out in his earlier years for the same.. and if he'd actually used the YEARS of reading skills he claims, he would know when he's wrong, messed up his response, ceases the insults and contributes usefully of simply shuts-up.

You can pull up ALL my posts, they are all decent, polite, gratefull for the help, and I've offered many useful points I've learned.
NEVER have I sworn at other users.

Shame on you 180.... it is disgusting.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 AM

Don't worry Mr B, I've read your story and it reduced me to tears.
I think I might be a little bitter after that lot.
Click