Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Hands Free Phone

Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hands Free Phone

Hi, Is there anyway to set up or buy something to make the factory radio/speakers work as a hands free phone ? Beside buying a new radio . Using a Galaxy S4 phone.
Thanks

Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Old 02-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 02-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Re: Hands Free Phone

The issue is not the radio's capabilities as the lack of an aux input jack. Given a jack you do not even need BlueTooth (though it makes it easier), just a Scosche AUXMIC 3.5 mm Aux Input Cable with Built-In Mike for Hands free (under $10 at the mart at the wall).

For the stock radios there are devices designed to change the
<i>BT sound to an FM transmitter  </i> BT sound to an FM transmitter
to the radio and uses an on-board microphone.[/SIZE]

Are more of these devices around every month.

I simply decided to replace the radio with a more sophisticated unit that integrates all of the phone commands.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
The issue is not the radio's capabilities as the lack of an aux input jack. Given a jack you do not even need BlueTooth (though it makes it easier), just a Scosche AUXMIC 3.5 mm Aux Input Cable with Built-In Mike for Hands free (under $10 at the mart at the wall).

For the stock radios there are devices designed to change the BT sound to an FM transmitter to the radio and uses an on-board microphone.[/SIZE]

Are more of these devices around every month.

I simply decided to replace the radio with a more sophisticated unit that integrates all of the phone commands.
All sound good, this one really has my attention that was suggested.
Amazon.com : Mpow® Streambot Y Wireless Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Handsfree Car Kit with Hands-Free Calling, Music Control, and Charging Port for iPhone 5S 5 5C 4S 4 iPod, Android cell phone, MP3 Players and other devices : MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com : Mpow® Streambot Y Wireless Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Handsfree Car Kit with Hands-Free Calling, Music Control, and Charging Port for iPhone 5S 5 5C 4S 4 iPod, Android cell phone, MP3 Players and other devices : MP3 Players & Accessories

Old 02-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about Velcro?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Funny thing about the Navigation equipped radio is that it does have the telephone with auto mute functions. It has never been written up how though.
I fitted mine with the remote CD holder in the trunk, never used it but I had it.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Millions of options, some better than others. I bought an FM / Bluetooth transmitter years ago that works great. I can play music from it through the stereo (from a SAN card, a USB or IPhone and I can answer and make calls with the sound through the speakers via the Bluetooth with any phone. It works great. No need for an extra microphone. Everyone says I am loud and clear. Its small, plugs into the cig lighter, it even has a readout of the file / sone (very small though and impossible to read from just sitting in the drivers seat). It also came with a steering remote attachement to click to answer the phone or change the song or even increase or decrease the volume etc. Is it perfect? No, but for 50 bucks it's been well worth it. I've had it for 3.5 years and use it every day. There are a ton of these out their. Mine actually matches the silver dash almost exactly. You can get some with Green readout color to match the lights too. Many just say upgrade to a new head unit that has all the new functionality including bluetooth. Maybe someday but frankly, I like the stock look and I've been able to function quite nicely with mine so.............in my view, it's an easy way to get what you need without the need to wire, resplace etc.

See the pics in post 10 of this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-gps-mod.html

Last edited by PNA; 02-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the cig - blue tooth adapter.. I've replaced the HU's in my coupe and wife's roadster - but planning on keeping the nav unit in my roadster.. have anything to offer for tracking down one like you have? More specifically the MFG with hopes quality will still be there.. LOL

Old 02-04-2015, 12:57 PM

What is that transmitter please (make/model) ? I tried several when trying to enable a different car and they never had satisfactory sound. I imagine the best would connect directly to the antenna line.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
What is that transmitter please (make/model) ? I tried several when trying to enable a different car and they never had satisfactory sound. I imagine the best would connect directly to the antenna line.
see post #2 - I have that one and the quality is fairly good, but not what I would call excellent.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Sorry, I meant what is this one (below). Though I suspect it might get in the way of 5th gear.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Been looking through Amazon's selection..

The one posted above still catches my eye in the "want" department..

Old 02-04-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PNA
Millions of options, some better than others. I bought an FM / Bluetooth transmitter years ago that works great. I can play music from it through the stereo (from a SAN card, a USB or IPhone and I can answer and make calls with the sound through the speakers via the Bluetooth with any phone. It works great. No need for an extra microphone. Everyone says I am loud and clear. Its small, plugs into the cig lighter, it even has a readout of the file / sone (very small though and impossible to read from just sitting in the drivers seat). It also came with a steering remote attachement to click to answer the phone or change the song or even increase or decrease the volume etc. Is it perfect? No, but for 50 bucks it's been well worth it. I've had it for 3.5 years and use it every day. There are a ton of these out their. Mine actually matches the silver dash almost exactly. You can get some with Green readout color to match the lights too. Many just say upgrade to a new head unit that has all the new functionality including bluetooth. Maybe someday but frankly, I like the stock look and I've been able to function quite nicely with mine so.............in my view, it's an easy way to get what you need without the need to wire, resplace etc.

See the pics in post 10 of this thread: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-gps-mod.html
That looks nice ! Does it have a name or model ?? Where did you get it ??

Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 PM
PNA

Guys, I have an auto stick and it really isn't an issue for autos. As you can see, it's in park in the picture. I'll see if I can find my paperwork on it but it's been 4 years. Not sure if this model is still in production or not but I'll do it hat I can to find any info that I may have and post back to when I can.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 AM

I have to ask: why do people insist on clinging to their OEM POS stereos like they were guns or Bibles?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:13 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I have to ask: why do people insist on clinging to their OEM POS stereos like they were guns or Bibles?
Good question but varying answers. Some of us just like completely stock vehicles. While I've moded my engine with Needswings and Eurocharge, my interior is stock or at least it's stock with a few add ons that I feel are best integrated in a stock manner (I've integrated a NAV too.). Some new non OEM head units I've seen I am contemplating for my future, but they will have to be a unit that looks factory, including illumination (I've seen a couple I really like). Yes, they are out there and I may do it someday, but it may be if / when the OEM goes bad or is no longer tolerable. For now, my head unit sounds fine with the adustments I've made..........and actually the sound from the CD is fine, and the transmitter sound actually is pretty damn good as well. I have all the functionality I need with that simple add on............for now.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM

Guess I have trouble with calling a Blauplunct a POS, it was a very good radio for its time, just that time was the last century. Further I find the amp and speaker system in the Limited to be well suited to a modern head unit.

What I dislike immensely is green illumination (too many years of green phosphor CRTs.

For a while I thought wireless to the FM circuits was the answer but never found one for a reasonable price that sounded any better than AM or Sirius/XM. I recall a few that connected directly to the antenna lead that may have been better but have not seen those lately.

So while I have been working the whole smart phone/tablet/desktop multimedia issue in a number of venues, I've found that a basis of a smart phone with a 5 or 6" screen is the best portable device available today. The only lack is that I have not yet found a way to integrate a back up camera.

Cnsequently all I want in a vehicle system is an amp, speakers, & maybe a microphone with Bluetooth and aux input. Only thing I use a CD for any more is a mounting place for the cell phone.

This means whichever car I'm in is attuned to me already. The same way any member of a famility would automagicly have the family car configured for the driver.

Two issues hold this back:
1) all vehicle manufacturers are treating infotainment as a profit center and have no reason to be compatible.
2) Internet connectivity is mostly fixed data volume (and streaming media can eat up a limited plan quickly).

Also certain information is easily avalable to a Smart Phone that the manufacturers do not necessarily want the consumers to know.

But that is just one aspect of what I have been looking at for the last few years, the revision of how we think about computers and televisions and communications. In home, vehicle, travel, and campers/RVs.

The cloud may become part of this but is also an immense opportunity for data mining so has privacy issues.

And then there is BYOD and Enterprise/Agency needs.

So while HFP is an important element, it is part of something much larger one of which is that HDTVs are obsolete already.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 AM

Blaupunkt? I thought it was a "Becker" or Bleaker" or something. The Pioneers I've replaced it with (2 different ones with Bluetooth) sonded better upon install.

No brainer.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 AM

Yep, Becker, not Blaupunkt.
( I have a Blaupunkt, it is Plug and Play and works OK but looks like crap )

Quick Reply: Hands Free Phone