Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Warning Lights

Old 08-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Lights

I have just recently bought a crossfire and when i first got it only the check tire pressure light and 1 other light cant remember now were on. Now all the lights on the dashboard are on and sometimes when i start it it will run for a few seconds and die then something under the hood turns on and wont turn off till I kill power to the car but other times it will run smooth and wont make that noise after turning it off if someone out there has had this problem before and has some incite that would be greatly appreciated

Old 08-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts
Default Re: Warning Lights

Well, to really help you, I think most here will need more information that what you provided. Frankly, you are making it sound like you are having at least two of the common issues with the Crossfire at the same time - and they usually dont come up at the same time, but it is possible that is what is happening to you.

First, when the car DOES start and run, do all or most of the lights go out? If so, then this makes more sense. IF the light stay on even when the car runs - we are in new territory here.

Anyway, based on the above I'd offer two suggestions:

1) Click here and see if this fixes it: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

2) Take a DAMN GOOD LOOK at your battery terminals and the bolt that fastens the battery ground lug to the chassis (this is right there near the battery). Yank the terminals off the battery posts and clean the living hell out of them with one of those wire-brush-battery-terminal-kit things you can get at auto parts stores.

3) Replace the battery. Now, if you take it somewhere and they "test" it, and you report back here that it tested good, my first question will be - "Did I say get it tested or did I say replace it?" The reason for this is that there are issues with the batteries that, in today's cars, a simple load test does not reveal. If you think this is a waste of money, go to step 4.

4) Take the car to a Chrysler dealer. (This wont get your car running, but it WILL cost you a HELL of a lot of money and replacing a $125 battery wont seem so bad after all.)

Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Administrator

One more thing, once you get this car running right, consider joining us in October - it's less than an 8 hour drive for you and there willl be others coming down from MI/IL/WI you can probably tag along with.

We can teach you a HELL of a lot about the car and about how to own a car that can be VERY expensive to maintain - without spending a lot of money. (Staying away from Dealers is lesson #1, but you already know that now, don't you? ).

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...oct-1-2-a.html

Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Thank you I'll see if I can't get you some more information if this doesn't help

Old 08-08-2016, 09:29 PM

Oh and my spoiler button is stuck won't come down any advice on how to fix that?

Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Well, to really help you, I think most here will need more information that what you provided. Frankly, you are making it sound like you are having at least two of the common issues with the Crossfire at the same time - and they usually dont come up at the same time, but it is possible that is what is happening to you.

First, when the car DOES start and run, do all or most of the lights go out? If so, then this makes more sense. IF the light stay on even when the car runs - we are in new territory here.

Anyway, based on the above I'd offer two suggestions:

1) Click here and see if this fixes it: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html

2) Take a DAMN GOOD LOOK at your battery terminals and the bolt that fastens the battery ground lug to the chassis (this is right there near the battery). Yank the terminals off the battery posts and clean the living hell out of them with one of those wire-brush-battery-terminal-kit things you can get at auto parts stores.

3) Replace the battery. Now, if you take it somewhere and they "test" it, and you report back here that it tested good, my first question will be - "Did I say get it tested or did I say replace it?" The reason for this is that there are issues with the batteries that, in today's cars, a simple load test does not reveal. If you think this is a waste of money, go to step 4.

4) Take the car to a Chrysler dealer. (This wont get your car running, but it WILL cost you a HELL of a lot of money and replacing a $125 battery wont seem so bad after all.)

Pizza, sometimes you sound down right sarcastic. However, you are right, battery replacement has solved many, many, problems.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Pizza, sometimes you sound down right sarcastic. However, you are right, battery replacement has solved many, many, problems.
Where dealers are concerned, sarcasm beats vulgarity - which is my only other reaction to dealers.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mgood32
Oh and my spoiler button is stuck won't come down any advice on how to fix that?
Well, now that depends. You don't REALLY mean the button is stuck, do you?

What you mean is that the spoiler won't retract. Right? In THAT case, it CAN be as easy as a blown fuse for the motor. OR it can be a bad motor. The odds that the Body Control Module is bad are kinda low, I've never heard of one dying such that the spoiler not working is the only symptom.

Oddly enough, a spoiler with a mind of it's own is often (are you ready for this?) - a flaky (can you guess?) battery.

One of the members of our Facebook page had issues with the spoiler and when they took the cover off the bottom of the trunk lid, they found the little drain hoses had been leaking and the motor and limit switches were wet and corroded - a new one on my and I've been here since 2009. I DOUBT that is it, but you never know. Just taking the little pop-in anchors out and the Torx screw under the emergency release handle is all that is needed to gain access to what's under there. Might be worth a look. Oh, wait - that was a Roadster - I have never owned a coupe - is the drain system similar in a coupe? I have no clue.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Where dealers are concerned, sarcasm beats vulgarity

No argument there. On a bad day, I might lean toward the vulgarity side myself but luckily, I can do most things myself.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I ever own another crossfire I would automatically take out that dam relay start module and do the solder repair. This left me stranded many years ago and really is such a simple fix. About that low tire pressure warning light, once in a while mine will go on for no reason. I tried resetting by letting some pressure out of the tires and refilling again. Well, it didn't work so I ignored it for a while and finally it went out. Guess something is going on with them but I wouldn't worry about that light too much or depend on it for tire pressure. Check tires once a month anyway whether it's lit or not...just trying to get some of things out of the equation for u as well.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
About that low tire pressure warning light, once in a while mine will go on for no reason. I tried resetting by letting some pressure out of the tires and refilling again. Well, it didn't work so I ignored it for a while and finally it went out. Guess something is going on with them but I wouldn't worry about that light too much or depend on it for tire pressure. Check tires once a month anyway whether it's lit or not...just trying to get some of things out of the equation for u as well.

Not to mention the system is of such an early design, not at all helpful (like newer ones that tell you the tire pressure AND where it is). It also is EXTREMELY hard to set up after repair and very expensive. I also check tire pressures as a rule (good habit from my military days, where you 'check' a vehicle out daily to include tire pressures). Just recently (last winter thereabouts) bypassed mine, and eliminated the sensors last month when I replaced the OEM tires. Glad to get rid of them dinosaurs!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Not to mention the system is of such an early design, not at all helpful (like newer ones that tell you the tire pressure AND where it is). It also is EXTREMELY hard to set up after repair and very expensive. I also check tire pressures as a rule (good habit from my military days, where you 'check' a vehicle out daily to include tire pressures). Just recently (last winter thereabouts) bypassed mine, and eliminated the sensors last month when I replaced the OEM tires. Glad to get rid of them dinosaurs!
They can be assumed to be idiot lights but once in a while they will save a life by showing a partially flat tire that could rapidly escalate into a rapid tire failure.
In some jurisdictions removing the sensors would mean an immediate failure of the safety test if one was required. This would be because any such safety feature should remain operable.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
They can be assumed to be idiot lights but once in a while they will save a life by showing a partially flat tire that could rapidly escalate into a rapid tire failure.
In some jurisdictions removing the sensors would mean an immediate failure of the safety test if one was required. This would be because any such safety feature should remain operable.

The main safety device in any vehicle is the DRIVER. You cannot rely on a device to protect yourself. TPMS will not help in a catastrophic failure, and a good feel of the feedback from the steering wheel tells a DRIVER who is aware that a wheel (or something else) is not right. A couple examples, I had a right front blowout on I-10 eastbound, in the left lane passing two tractor trailers going in excess of the speed limit. Since my two hands were on the wheel, I was able to finish passing the trucks (I was almost past the front one), then as the trucks slowed I pulled right, they pulled left, I pulled over onto the dirt off the asphalt shoulder. catastrophic failure, no-one hurt (except a right front rim). Second example, I put my two rear studded snow tires/wheels on my 72 Fury III and headed home from the air base in SD, to our home in Piedmont. The trip was 97% interstate, about 3/4 way home I felt car becoming squirrely. Pulled over, found both snow tires very low. Turns out they were stored in landlords basement next to a large electric motor, and the ozone from the motor broke down the rubber in the mounted tire/rim set over the preceding summer (I asked him to store them he did). Point is, the driver should not rely on a light to know his/her tires are correct.

HeII, gadgets are nice, but people should be a lot more aware of their surroundings. Especially when it comes to their safety and operation of their vehicles. This is one area I do not rely on some gadget. It is also good to be in a state where the nanny mongers are not in a majority.