Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

My Crossfire starts well but dies immediately and repeatedly.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My Crossfire starts well but dies immediately and repeatedly.

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Just a thought . . . Did you do anything to your key fob recently? Do you have a second key & fob that you can use to try and start the car? If you replaced or disassembled your key fob and missed (re)installing the transponder chip, I think you'll get the same symptoms. Just sayin' . . .
Red Dog. I can’t seem to find my second key. It’s the damnest thing. if my battery in my key fob is weak, meaning it can still lock and unlock the doors, would it be worth my time to replace the batteries and try to start my car?

Old 01-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
Red Dog. I can’t seem to find my second key. It’s the damnest thing. if my battery in my key fob is weak, meaning it can still lock and unlock the doors, would it be worth my time to replace the batteries and try to start my car?
A confusing statement but the batteries in the fob have nothing to do with starting the car, they just allow you to remotely open the door(s).

The following users liked this post:
CrossSticks (09-18-2022)
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
A confusing statement but the batteries in the fob have nothing to do with starting the car, they just allow you to remotely open the door(s).
Thanks for the feedback. As I understand it, the transponder in the key needs a battery to work.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback. As I understand it, the transponder in the key needs a battery to work.
You are incorrect in that assumption.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 01-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually you are correct.. it's located at the rear edge of the passenger fender under the hood..

Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Actually you are correct.. it's located at the rear edge of the passenger fender under the hood..

Now THAT is FUNNY!!! He he he he he

Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Now THAT is FUNNY!!! He he he he he

I agree with you, that is a good one.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:40 AM

Very nice one indeed.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My SLK320 came with a valet key, no transponder and works just fine. BTW the "P" in the drive indicator comes on as soon as I turn the key on, engine does not need to be running. '07 just stays a block because it is a manual.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 PM

I finally found my second key and tried it just for the heck of it. It didn’t start. However, instead of the three starts that I got before, I’m getting clicks instead of starts. What’s going on? Did my battery die?

Old 01-27-2018, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disconnect your battery for 30 seconds , then give it a try. Tell us if you get the same 3 tried then nothing.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Disconnect your battery for 30 seconds , then give it a try. Tell us if you get the same 3 tried then nothing.
I tried that. When I turn the ignition, all I get are clicks. After about 6 tries, I’m only getting two clicks each time I turn the ignition.

To recap, a few weeks ago, my Crossfire would crank and start when I turn the ignition but would die immediately. That pattern would last three times after which the engine would do nothing, including clicks or any sounds. I thought the battery was dead so I got a new battery. With the new battery, I got the same three starts and immediate dying of the engine. I tried two suggestions I read on this forum. 1. Press the lock and unlock button to reset the transponder and start the engine. That did not Change anything. 2. Try starting with my other key. It took two weeks to find the second key. Turned the ignition with it and now I’m only getting clicks. That’s where I am.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Old 01-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, sounds like a dead battery again..The basic test for the SKREEM is with a hot battery and, that is one of the main components of this system. A low or discharged battery will result in numerous symptoms an false leads. Also check the negative cable to ensure there is no corrosion at either attaching end.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:12 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Is there a reason you cannot monitor the battery voltage ? Are some very inexpensive
cigarette lighter devices. cigarette lighter devices.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
Honestly, sounds like a dead battery again..The basic test for the SKREEM is with a hot battery and, that is one of the main components of this system. A low or discharged battery will result in numerous symptoms an false leads. Also check the negative cable to ensure there is no corrosion at either attaching end.
Thanks for the response. I think I tried starting too many times. I think it is time to order a SKREEM.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the response. I think I tried starting too many times. I think it is time to order a SKREEM.
I think it is time to recharge the battery before you spend a couple of hundred bucks or so. Makes sense to me.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by STRANDD
Besides Rob's instructions, there's good info from forum members and you can find the Crossfire repair manual on here. I managed to do it.....and if I can.....you can. Probably the hardest part was taking everything apart and waiting two weeks for the new Skreem to come in. Would have been easier for me to remember where things go working straight through. I would suggest waiting until the new Skreem comes in. Good luck!
I just got my SKREEM kit from Needswings, and it did not come with instructions on how to replace it. From what you say, I’m supposed to get one. You wouldn’t have that handy to submit here would you? Thanks.

Mike

Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 PM

That’s exactly what happened. Got a new battery and after 3 starts, completely dead again, or that’s what it seems like. So I googled it and came back to this forum. If understand this correctly, I’m supposed to purchase a SKREEM module and then use the instruction in the link below.

https://www.moparpartswebstore.com/p...iABEgIgxfD_BwE

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...im_initial.pdf

Am I on the right track?

Mike

Sorry. Looks like it was already done here. I got the instructions.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by STRANDD
Order one from Needswings.com. You'll give your VIN # and they will program it for you and ship it. In October it was taking about 2 weeks to get in (blame Chrysler). Price was $250.00.
Im stuck. Since it sounded like you’ve done this before, I would appreciate your input. I contacted Rob at Needswings.com who directed to the link below.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...key_fix_v5.pdf

He told me to follow the instructions up to step 9. Then I would be able to open up the lower panel and access the old SKREEM module for replacement. Unfortunately I got stuck at step 6 where I could not locate the #4 screw to take out. See my third photo. Maybe I’m a bit dense but I don’t think I see in my car what the instruction is saying I should see.

Btw, the instruction says by step 9 I should have removed the panel and have the panel removed to expose one half of the transponder ring. That means, at last in my 2008 Crossfire, I should have the panel that contains the headlight switch taken out. See my second photo. That means I need to take out the screws that are holding the headlight switch. The instruction does not mention that at all.

Lastly, step 7 says I only need to take out 2 screws on the panel. See my first photo. Mine shows 4 screws.

I’m lost. Can you please see if you can help me with these apparent discrepancies? Thanks.

Quick Reply: My Crossfire starts well but dies immediately and repeatedly.