Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

My Crossfire starts well but dies immediately and repeatedly.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Crossfire starts well but dies immediately and repeatedly.

My 2008 Crossfire had some oxidation build up in the battery terminals two years ago and had very similar problems. So, naturally, when it started well but repeatedly died immediately, I checked the the battery terminals. There was some build up which I thoroughly cleaned. By that time the battery was dead. I tried jumping it but even after 20 minutes of having the cables attached, the battery remained dead as nails. So I got a new battery and started the Crossfire. Unfortunately, it continued to start and die immediately. Do you folks have any good theories about what the problem may be? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts
Default Re: My Crossfire starts well but dies immediately and repeatedly.

Describe "start and die immediately". This can be a SKREEM failure, but your symptom description is too vague.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Describe "start and die immediately". This can be a SKREEM failure, but your symptom description is too vague.
When I start the ignition, the engine immediately cranks up normally but dies just as quickly, even when I pump the gas to try to keep it going. So, it goes, vrooomm.... then immediately, fizzle out.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

The question is : Does it do this 3 times, then nothing else ?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

And what are the codes ? (Preferably with a DAS/STAR or Merc scanner). Is the shutdown like a switch or does it sputter a bit ?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
The question is : Does it do this 3 times, then nothing else ?
Yes, it did it 3 x! Then, no more start, no more cranking, no more nothing. Silence. What does it mean? I just thought the battery only had that much juice left...

Last edited by BlazingSaddle; 01-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
And what are the codes ? (Preferably with a DAS/STAR or Merc scanner). Is the shutdown like a switch or does it sputter a bit ?
No sputter at all... starts up normally then puff... just dies without a fight.. so to speak... I don't know what code since I don't have a scanner.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
No sputter at all... starts up normally then puff... just dies without a fight.. so to speak... I don't know what code since I don't have a scanner.
If you disconnect the battery an retry, do you get the same "3 strikes an not start again". This is a classic SKREEM module going out.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
If you disconnect the battery an retry, do you get the same "3 strikes an not start again". This is a classic SKREEM module going out.
That’s exactly what happened. Got a new battery and after 3 starts, completely dead again, or that’s what it seems like. So I googled it and came back to this forum. If understand this correctly, I’m supposed to purchase a SKREEM module and then use the instruction in the link below.

https://www.moparpartswebstore.com/p...iABEgIgxfD_BwE

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...im_initial.pdf

Am I on the right track?

Mike

Old 01-12-2018, 01:04 AM

So, assuming the SKREEM Module has to be replaced, is there a way to program it on your own or is this something that only a dealer can do?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 AM

Order one from Needswings.com. You'll give your VIN # and they will program it for you and ship it. In October it was taking about 2 weeks to get in (blame Chrysler). Price was $250.00.

Last edited by STRANDD; 01-12-2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: wrote "to you" when it should have been "for you"
Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by STRANDD
Order one from Needswings.com. You'll give your VIN # and they will program it for you and ship it. In October it was taking about 2 weeks to get in (blame Chrysler). Price was $250.00.
And BTW, that $250 is MUCH better than the dealer cost with labor of about $2200.

It is not a difficult DIY, Rob sends the instructions with it. ( even a caveman can do it )

Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
And BTW, that $250 is MUCH better than the dealer cost with labor of about $2200.

It is not a difficult DIY, Rob sends the instructions with it. ( even a caveman can do it )

Thank you, Strandd and ala_xfire, for the information. You are correct that 250 is WAY better than 2200. Thanks to Crossfireforum and wonderful contributions by people like you. And love the fact that even a caveman can do it. Lmao.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Besides Rob's instructions, there's good info from forum members and you can find the Crossfire repair manual on here. I managed to do it.....and if I can.....you can. Probably the hardest part was taking everything apart and waiting two weeks for the new Skreem to come in. Would have been easier for me to remember where things go working straight through. I would suggest waiting until the new Skreem comes in. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Just a thought . . . Did you do anything to your key fob recently? Do you have a second key & fob that you can use to try and start the car? If you replaced or disassembled your key fob and missed (re)installing the transponder chip, I think you'll get the same symptoms. Just sayin' . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 01-13-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Just a thought . . . Did you do anything to your key fob recently? Do you have a second key & fob that you can use to try and start the car? If you replaced or disassembled your key fob and missed (re)installing the transponder chip, I think you'll get the same symptoms. Just sayin' . . .
Other than the fact my key fob is old and beaten up, I’ve not done anything with it. I did do a lot of work with garage door openers. Would they share the same spectrum? Just a thought. I will try to dig up my other key, which was never used, and see. My current fob works fine otherwise, I.e. lock and unlock doors.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM

Besides Rob's instructions, there's good info from forum members and you can find the Crossfire repair manual on here. I managed to do it.....and if I can.....you can. Probably the hardest part was taking everything apart and waiting two weeks for the new Skreem to come in. Would have been easier for me to remember where things go working straight through. I would suggest waiting until the new Skreem comes in. Good luck!
From what you say, it sounds like Bobs instructions isn’t enough to replace the module. I thought even a caveman can do it

Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Other than the fact my key fob is old and beaten up, I’ve not done anything with it. I did do a lot of work with garage door openers. Would they share the same spectrum? Just a thought. I will try to dig up my other key, which was never used, and see. My current fob works fine otherwise, I.e. lock and unlock doors.
Lock and unlock is not affected by the RFID chip.. starting is.. a couple of people have actually managed to find the chip and get going again after noting "I dropped the fob and it came open"..

Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 AM

From what you say, it sounds like Bobs instructions isn’t enough to replace the module. I thought even a caveman can do it

As a non-natural mechanic....I just find it helps me to see more than one person's version of a repair. Often see/read different minor details that helps me out.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

A good idea is to take notes and/or take photos as you go if it is a complicated or a lot of parts are involved. It is always a bit worrisome when after putting everything back together you find a screw or two left over. Taking notes of screw lengths is a good idea, diameters are easy to figure out.
You know you have screwed up big time when your mileage improves due to the weight loss of the parts you had left over.

Quick Reply: My Crossfire starts well but dies immediately and repeatedly.