Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

TPMS Receiver Replace?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: TPMS Receiver Replace?

Originally Posted by go@midnavi.com
I opened it up and confirmed the part is HomeLink PSI A1938200105. As you pointed out, it looks like these can be found used for around $40. Thanks!

IF your talking about the TPMS unit over the top of the windshield, you need a different part number then the 'Homelink' transmitter. That part number you posted is for the homelink transmitter. The TPMS receiver is lower down in that dome light hole. Check again, for the correct part!

Old 06-27-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I opened it up and confirmed the part is HomeLink PSI A1938200105. As you pointed out, it looks like these can be found used for around $40. Thanks!
As GG pointed out that is not the part, the part you want is the one covered in a thin layer of black foam. It sits on top of or behind the door opener, my mistake.
I doubt there is anything wrong with the one you have, maybe the sensors are at fault. You use the word alternative sensors and that may be the problem right there. See Urbsne’s post on sensors.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-27-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:25 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Smart Sensor Auto Locate 433MHz Programmable Part No. 17-43024

Just had these installed on my SRT6 at Waukegan Tire at their Park City, IL location. They had no trouble cloning three of the sensors but the fourth sensor was dead and they could not clone.
They got on the phone with Smart Sensor and were told they needed OEM program to program the fourth sensor. They did not have one but called around to other local tire shops and found one.
They ran the car over there were able to get the fourth sensor working. This did take an extra 3 hours to complete with them trying to trouble shoot this issue and running over to the other tire shop.
No extra charge and a apology for taking so long. They also checked out my suspension free of charge. There is no substitute for a good shop if you can find one.

I doubt that the original post really had a problem with the receiver.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadsworth
Smart Sensor Auto Locate 433MHz Programmable Part No. 17-43024

Just had these installed on my SRT6 at Waukegan Tire at their Park City, IL location. They had no trouble cloning three of the sensors but the fourth sensor was dead and they could not clone.
They got on the phone with Smart Sensor and were told they needed OEM program to program the fourth sensor. They did not have one but called around to other local tire shops and found one.
They ran the car over there were able to get the fourth sensor working. This did take an extra 3 hours to complete with them trying to trouble shoot this issue and running over to the other tire shop.
No extra charge and a apology for taking so long. They also checked out my suspension free of charge. There is no substitute for a good shop if you can find one.

I doubt that the original post really had a problem with the receiver.
So what we learn here is that you should clone your sensors before the battery dies in them. If your tires are still OK you may have the sensors sit around for a while before you fit them to new tires.
Your part number is for the Crossfire’s using sensors for the 433MHz band, they also make sensors for Crossfires using the 315MHz band. CLICK

They also make a sensor for the 315MHz band and the 433MHz band. CLICK
How much did each sensor cost please.
I would say that you hit upon a very obliging tire store.
Thanks for the input.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Smart Sensor tpms.pdf (269.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-28-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: I'll get the info correct one day.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi all, just heard back from the stealership. After executing their recommendation of replacing all 4 TPMS sensors on my wheels, I still have a warning light on the dash. They now want to replace the sensor "receiver" because they said that the sensors tested successfully. They say the car is not able to read two of them correctly. They want $1k for parts and labor so I'm looking for either instructions on what this part is and how I could do the work, and/or a second opinion.

Thanks!
Brandon
Let's look at this logically. If TWO of the four sensors CAN be read by the receiver it's not the receiver. If the receiver were bad ALL 4 sensors would not be received. if this were my car I would investigate the two sensors the car cannot read.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes it is a very good tire store. They are also a full service repair shop. I have been going to them since 92 or 93 for tires. I like to tinker and when I get stuck my brother-in-law is a mechanic so I really haven,t used thier repair service. Although I would expect the same service.
The sensors were $200.00 for the set of four.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen this code? Training Failed TP Fault Code: C8001

I put in new sensors a couple of years ago and just now got the time to get them working. Have a drb3 emulator and each time I clear the DTCs, this one comes back instantly or maybe never clears. I can't get any of the sensors to train with the drb3, it just sits at the left front then times out.

Looked all over the service manuals, but no luck with this code. Could the TPMS receiver be cooked? If all else fails, there is always the well documented disconnect.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using a magnet to "train" each sensor?

Old 02-05-2020, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, it is a doughnut shaped magnet designed for this. I also had discount tire activate the sensors and still have the DTC code that will not clear. I even had them replace the rubber stems with aluminum and when that didn't work I went back to the DTC and found it was was not clearing. The DTC stays set after clearing, before I even try to learn. I don't think it will learn with a code set.

Replacement receivers are $300, so, if that is the case, i'll be pulling the wire.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 05-12-2020, 08:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, like some folks have discussed extensively, I got the TPMS light on the dash this past weekend went to my local mechanic yesterday who used a Autel TS401 but could not read any of the sensors using the Crossfire but when used MB was able to see but not communicate with them. So is this a case of the receiver gone bad, or the case if I understand correctly that the sensors are transmitting on both frequency but that the TS401 may only be reading on one frequency vs both?

Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 AM

Has anyone used some of the newer sensors on the market and the one I am referring to is this that is on RockAuto by Denso # 5502505:

OE Manufactured When a TPMS Sensor fails, you'll want to replace it easily with a DENSO First Time Fit® TPMS sensor. Unlike one-size-fits-all sensors, DENSO has developed sensors that never need to be programmed or cloned before installation – they're built to the specified vehicle right out of the box {note: new ID numbers will need to be registered through the OBD II port}. With DENSO, installation is a snap — their TPMS Sensors relearn just like an OE part, restoring the vehicle to its original condition.Service sensors with DENSO's First Time Fit TPMS components every time the tire is removed to ensure safe operation.

Features
  • Immediate coverage for applications which cannot be programmed
  • Tested to OE specifications
  • 10 year battery
  • OE technology preserves diagnostic trouble codes
  • Quick, direct-fit installation (no cloning or programming)
Denso First Time Fit Sensor

TPMS Guide

TPMS Sensors typically need to be replaced for one of the following three reasons:
  • Battery Life – Estimated life of 5 to 10 years or 100k miles
  • Damage – Caused by accidents, pot holes, etc
  • Corrosion – Typically from road salt (cold weather climates) or galvanic corrosion
Note: It typically makes sense to replace all sensors at once since batteries have similar life spans

Should I replace my TPMS sensor when replacing my tire?
  • If the new set of tires is expected to cross over the TPMS battery threshold consider replacing the TPMS Sensors now to avoid tire mounting fees
  • Otherwise TPMS manufacturers recommend using a service kit to replace TPMS components to prolong life

Installation Instructions
Power Source Electric Monitor Type Direct Real Time Pressure Signal Transmission Yes Mounting Method Clamp In Mounting Hardware Included Yes Universal Or Specific Fit Specific Gasket or Seal Included Yes Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 5096808AA, 5127335AD, 52088990AC, 52088990AD, 52088990AE, 8973271890
Warranty Information:
12 Months

Old 05-12-2020, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mariontr
Ok, like some folks have discussed extensively, I got the TPMS light on the dash this past weekend went to my local mechanic yesterday who used a Autel TS401 but could not read any of the sensors using the Crossfire but when used MB was able to see but not communicate with them. So is this a case of the receiver gone bad, or the case if I understand correctly that the sensors are transmitting on both frequency but that the TS401 may only be reading on one frequency vs both?
I suspect the device mentioned is an OBDII reader. Ask your mechanic if he has a TPMS frequency and power level reader that he can go to each tire, trigger the sensor with a magnet and get the reading if the battery is strong enough. Magnet is the key for the OEM sensors. It needs to be as big as a speaker magnet. This is the only way to know if they work. We cannot assume the RXer is bad just because we cannot read the sensors.

See my sig file for TPMS 101. I used the Schrader's when I did mine. Tire rack put them in, the local dealer with the OEM DRBIII synced the car to the new sensors.

IMG 1586 Magnet over the valve stem

Last edited by KDW4Him; 05-12-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mariontr
Has anyone used some of the newer sensors on the market and the one I am referring to is this that is on RockAuto by Denso # 5502505:

OE Manufactured When a TPMS Sensor fails, you'll want to replace it easily with a DENSO First Time Fit® TPMS sensor. Unlike one-size-fits-all sensors, DENSO has developed sensors that never need to be programmed or cloned before installation – they're built to the specified vehicle right out of the box {note: new ID numbers will need to be registered through the OBD II port}. With DENSO, installation is a snap — their TPMS Sensors relearn just like an OE part, restoring the vehicle to its original condition.Service sensors with DENSO's First Time Fit TPMS components every time the tire is removed to ensure safe operation.
If the original TPMS cannot be triggered they cannot be cloned. You might be able to read the old paper sticker on them but I wouldn't trust being able to do that. I like easy. Schraders were easy for me and the dealer charger 1/4 hour for the sync. If you do decide to go this way talk with dealers BEFORE you show up with new sensors. Some dealers don't have the DRBIII or emulator for the Crossfire and the price range is dramatic. I was quoted between 1/4 hour to 2.5 hours for the same job from different dealers.

IMG 1546 SRT OEM Sensor

IMG 1531 SRT New Schrader Sensors

Last edited by KDW4Him; 05-12-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:35 AM

Hi KDW4Him, thank you for sharing this info. I have shared with my mechanic, so we will see how we will proceed from there, if cannot be cloned then as suggested I may be looking at some labor to sync and activate them.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:56 PM

One more thing? IF you do go and buy another TPMS receiver, be advised there are (that I know for sure of) 2 different frequencies used for the crossfire series vehicles. You'll have to research which came with what model year/car. Good luck with your repair!

Old 05-13-2020, 02:49 PM

Thank you GG for the response and will make a note of it. Will let the Forum know of my quest when complete

Old 05-13-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
One more thing? IF you do go and buy another TPMS receiver, be advised there are (that I know for sure of) 2 different frequencies used for the crossfire series vehicles. You'll have to research which came with what model year/car. Good luck with your repair!
Sadly even my local dealer with the VIN didn't tell me correct info. I had to go to a tire dealer with a generic TPMS trigger tool to know what frequency they were. I say generic because the tire dealer with the tool that you enter the year/make/model info didn't trigger them. It took a generic magnet trigger looking to both frequencies to tell what they were.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
Sadly even my local dealer with the VIN didn't tell me correct info. I had to go to a tire dealer with a generic TPMS trigger tool to know what frequency they were. I say generic because the tire dealer with the tool that you enter the year/make/model info didn't trigger them. It took a generic magnet trigger looking to both frequencies to tell what they were.

I believe that... During the 'changeover' (if there was one for model year TPMS freq's) it would NOT SURPRISE me they peppered a few cars mix-match (but keeping the receiver with the correct transmitters in the rims). Anyway, I got one he11uva post to make in the troubleshooting section about the car wiring/RCM, that I believe EVERYONE should READ and remember in the depths of their brains!

Old 05-15-2020, 08:52 AM

GG/KDW4Him, it is much appreciated, this forum has helped me solved a multitude of issues that I have encountered with my xfire and I would love to read that post when GG has finished writing it.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

Clint, Crossfire owner and former team member on an engineering team that dealt with airbag, seat belt and TPMS systems on the Crossfire and other products offers this:

The big trick is getting a Crossfire to "relearn" new sensor IDs when batteries in the old sensors die. Seems many are lasting 10 years or so, but now that is catching even the newest Crossfire cars. The sensors themselves are not all that special, the same ones were used in Chrysler minivans, in Vipers, and a few other cars. Sensors from Mopar (made by Schrader) will work, direct from Schrader, and I expect many other aftermarket sensors will work - IF you get the car to recognize them.

That is where many tire shops and even Chrysler dealerships will mess up. Most Chrysler cars after Crossfire build time have systems in the car which will automatically recognize that new wheel pressure sensors have been installed, and learn the IDs of the new sensors - just by driving the car for a few minutes (to get the sensors broadcasting their radio signals). Crossfire cars do NOT have the additional antennas, etc. to do this. But lazy or hurried or uniformed techs will assume a Chrysler Crossfire will just learn new sensor IDs without them doing anything but physically installing the sensors in the wheel.

OTHER trick is getting the car into sensor "relearn" mode. This requires the DRB III dealership diagnostic computer tool -- which was obsolete after 2007 for Chrysler dealerships. And to work with Crossfires (or Sprinter vans) needed an additional Multiplexer cable, and Crossfire software card. Which some dealerships never bought, or if bought in 2004, have been lost since. BUT: several indicators say that current Chrysler dealership diagnostic equipment SHOULD have a DRB III Enhanced Emulator function available! So if you can find a Chrysler dealership game to learn something new about their equipment, they CAN do the TPMS sensor relearn on a Crossfire!

EASIER CHEAPER WAY: Find a tire store which can and will CLONE the old working sensor IDs into new sensors. This is by far the fastest easiest, one-stop approach. As long as they can read the old sensor IDs, new sensors can be set to use the same IDs, So no car-side "relearn" necessary!

Quick Reply: TPMS Receiver Replace?