Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cabin ceiling cover/fabric falling apart

Old 06-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cabin ceiling cover/fabric falling apart

I'm not exactly sure what to call it but the back of the ceiling fabric came off and it hanging down like a cow's tongue. I recall reading about replacing the whole thing but has anyone experienced something like this? Any thoughts on what kind of glue would be best for fixing this minor issue? See below for a photo of it. Thanks a lot folks.

Attached Images
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cabin ceiling cover/fabric falling apart

If you'll notice there's a fine layer of the backing left on the headliner. Its like glueing something to sand. To light of an adhesive an it will keep coming down. To heavy an it will bleed thru the fabric...

Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the "glue" holding the fabric and the backing in place is done for ... you need to go to an upholstery shop to get it all fixed.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

It is the foam that has deteriorated. Trust me, the glue is still on the headliner and strong as ever. When you go back with new material, use material that does not have a foam backing.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazingSaddle
I'm not exactly sure what to call it but the back of the ceiling fabric came off and it hanging down like a cow's tongue. I recall reading about replacing the whole thing but has anyone experienced something like this? Any thoughts on what kind of glue would be best for fixing this minor issue? See below for a photo of it. Thanks a lot folks.
I had exactly the same area fail so I rubbed the foam of the fabric liner and the panel with my fingers, applied some double sided tape along the panel and then stuck the fabric to the tape. I used an industrial tape but I am sure that a good tape would do the trick. A simple solution until I get around to doing the proper job.
EDIT
The double sided tape failed in the heat, thumb tacks work on the vertical surface and as the whole thing is now falling self tapping screws work well on the horizontal face.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-23-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Thanks a lot for the responses. Ok, so it is called a headliner.... how did I miss that? :-)
So, the consensus is that no one has succeeded gluing it back on because of the deteriorated foam on the fabric. 180's temp solution definitely is temporary... I thought about using a clear sealant used for roof repair. It goes on like a gel so it will have the bulk (unlike a glue spray) and it has the power to hold things but I just don't know what it will be like longer term. For those of you who have resorted to an upholsterer, did he/she replace the headliner or reused it?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanks a lot for the responses. Ok, so it is called a headliner.... how did I miss that? :-)
So, the consensus is that no one has succeeded gluing it back on because of the deteriorated foam on the fabric. 180's temp solution definitely is temporary... I thought about using a clear sealant used for roof repair. It goes on like a gel so it will have the bulk (unlike a glue spray) and it has the power to hold things but I just don't know what it will be like longer term. For those of you who have resorted to an upholsterer, did he/she replace the headliner or reused it?
They always use a new material, the old material has rotted foam stuck to it and has been stretched beyond the point of reuse.
The new material is pretty cheap to buy.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Some of the high end guys actually used suede leather.
I have a roadster so God does my headliner

Old 06-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts

The upholstery shop I use locally does excellent work and re-covered my headliner with a material & color that closely matched the OEM material. Wife & I pulled the headliner out ourselves (lots of great DIY advice on how to do that step) and cost me $130 to have the headliner cleaned/stripped of all old glue residue and the new material applied. Shop made sure that the new material "wrapped" around the mating edges of the headliner to help hold it in place and keep it secure when installed. OEM headliner barely covers the headliner board to the edges and that also contributes to a sagging headliner besides a poor glue job.

I also took Waldig's advice and applied some sound deadening material to the bare roof before we installed the new headliner. Remarkable difference in cockpit noise. Here's a link to his video post about this. CLICK

Last edited by dedwards0323; 06-08-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The upholstery shop I use locally does excellent work and re-covered my headliner with a material & color that closely matched the OEM material. Wife & I pulled the headliner out ourselves (lots of great DIY advice on how to do that step) and cost me $130 to have the headliner cleaned/stripped of all old glue residue and the new material applied. Shop made sure that the new material "wrapped" around the mating edges of the headliner to help hold it in place and keep it secure when installed. OEM headliner barely covers the headliner board to the edges and that also contributes to a sagging headliner besides a poor glue job.

I also took Waldig's advice and applied some sound deadening material to the bare roof before we installed the new headliner. Remarkable difference in cockpit noise. Here's a link to his video post about this. CLICK
I am going to have to do my roof liner pretty soon and I was wondering about that sound deadening. My wife says the car is too noisy, I just turn of my hearing aids, this has two benefits, I do not notice the car noise or my wife's complaints. A win win situation.

I currently have all the trunk panels out and the noise is noticeably louder, maybe I can do something back there as well.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Cabin ceiling cover/fabric falling apart

Sound liner really does help. I also covered liner shell with polyurethane to form a stronger and smoother base for the new liner. I also went with dark to reduce back light during the day, less ''glare'' effect. Enjoy Woody

Old 06-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Here's a link to a more detailed photo instruction on how Waldig replaced his headliner.

What I haven't seen yet is how he got the entire headliner unit off the ceiling. Anyone know how? Just pull hard? Anything that might break?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/g/album/5832983

Old 06-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Sorry, Waldig... didn't realize you had just posted .... so, how did you remove the whole thing?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i completely replaced the whole headliner, same color and it looks so great
. I had it done in Wisconsin. I had to pin it back up before i found the gentleman that did it. so very happy

Old 06-12-2018, 11:59 AM

Sorry, Waldig... didn't realize you had just posted .... so, how did you remove the whole thing?
Grey Ghost did a nice write up on how to remove the whole headliner.
I’ll add the link here. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-12-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 AM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts

Wife & I removed the headliner when I had it recovered last year. GraphiteGhost's write-up was excellent in providing more detail than the Service Manual. The only thing we did different than his write-up was we only pulled the rear trim panels down from the top and left them hanging from the bottom pins. (Note: That is per the Service Manual.) That provided enough of a gap where I could see the 2 pins holding the headliner rear to the roof and using a trim removal tool, pulled those pins out. We were able to slide the headliner out of those trims panels when we worked it down, forward & out of the PS door opening. And like his write-up, going back was a piece of cake! We only had to replace a damaged pin in one of the rear interior trim panels.

And I would add that removing the A-pillar trim panels requires some significant force. Those are really stuck to the structure. Almost scary how hard I had to pull to get them loose.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 06-13-2018 at 08:19 AM.